Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 08:54 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,369,571 times

Advertisements

http://parenting.blogs.nytimes.com/2...-so-soon/?_r=0

The lady is turning her son's death into a crusade for more parental leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 09:01 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
I thought it was going to be about going on leave to mourn the death of a child, but because her 3-month-old died at day-care, she wants leave after childbirth to be longer.

What a nightmare. Poor family.

Old 11-19-2015, 09:03 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,369,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I thought it was going to be about going on leave to mourn the death of a child, but because her 3-month-old died at day-care, she wants leave after childbirth to be longer.

What a nightmare. Poor family.
She wants longer paid leave. She had already gotten 3 months of paid leave, which is generous compared to what most people get.

Old 11-19-2015, 11:21 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,808,542 times
The policies for maternity leave in the US are despicable. The US is one of only a handful of countries without guaranteed leave. Third world countries have better leave policies! Many countries mandate at least 6 months some, like Germany, mandate a year and it's proven to be very beneficial for not only mothers and babies, but for business too.

Old 11-20-2015, 02:34 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,299,621 times
And if she had six months to a year of paid leave, would she still blame her employer if the baby died in child care? She's a grieving mother desperately grasping for accountability. I understand her grief, as I, too, lost a child, but three months is plenty of time for Parental Leave.

Old 11-20-2015, 05:46 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Three months is paltry compared to the rest of the industrialized world.

Lots Of Other Countries Mandate Paid Leave. Why Not The U.S.? : It's All Politics : NPR

Paternity Leave Map: See Which Countries Offer Paid Leave

Old 11-20-2015, 05:59 AM

769 posts, read 829,945 times
I got 5 days, yes DAYS of paid leave when my son was born. I get 3 days for the death of ANY close relative. THREE.

I MIGHT be able to take FMLA, but that's only paid up to the amount I have leave accrued. Which isnt 3 months, lol...

I feel for the family, but this is just trying to milk the system

Old 11-20-2015, 06:06 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
http://parenting.blogs.nytimes.com/2...-so-soon/?_r=0

The lady is turning her son's death into a crusade for more parental leave.
How about crusading for a parent to actually raise their own kids?
Kids die at daycare at any age.
Of course, they can die in the custody of their parents, too.

This woman is focusing on all the wrong things as she lashes out in grief.

Old 11-20-2015, 06:55 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
The policies for maternity leave in the US are despicable. The US is one of only a handful of countries without guaranteed leave. Third world countries have better leave policies!
Which third world countries exactly? I'm skeptical of that claim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
Many countries mandate at least 6 months some, like Germany, mandate a year and it's proven to be very beneficial for not only mothers and babies, but for business too.
Perhaps. However, having kids is not the only important event in a person's life. What about a person's own medical issues, something he/she has no control over? What about caring for aging parents or other relatives? Those issues can put a huge burden on finances and there is no backup plan there. Sure, there is FMLA, but there is no paid leave; FMLA is unpaid. The employee gets time off without pay, which helps some, but doesn't pay the rent.

As for this lady, she wasn't asking for paid leave. She was asking for unpaid leave. I don't believe the company was unreasonable to tell her she had to come back to work. Three months is sufficient. I think parents (not just mothers) deserve paid parental leave of at least two months. But so do other employees who are having personal issues such as severe illness. Parenting should not be favored over everything else going on in an employee's life. A healthy employee, both emotionally and physically, is a happy employee.

Old 11-20-2015, 07:55 AM

769 posts, read 829,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Which third world countries exactly? I'm skeptical of that claim.
I am too. Outside of like Germany, and the Netherlands/Denmark/Sweeden type places I think that claim is completely false

That said, I think our "paid leave" laws, or lack thereof herein the U.S. is embarassing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting