Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 10:41 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,157,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstwo View Post
To those saying I should have met in the middle, what middle is there when one side is completely reasonable while the other isn't?
I see this guy's marriage circling the drain in... three... two... one. Not that I think your wife's approach was reasonable, but I am pretty sure that if I approached my spouse with that attitude, he would ignore me too. And he would be right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2015, 10:43 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,311,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstwo View Post
Funny how just about every person I grew up with smoking weed (and I am 43) are successful law-abiding adults that are still alive, happy and healthy. Also, I've known people that have smoked cigarettes that got cancer but never marijuana.
Marijuana back then is different from the marijuana today... The marijuana today (like the food today) is sprayed with pesticides and fertilizers that have altered it's chemical make-up.

Secondly, people who use substances to alter their state of mind (for whatever reason) should probably see a pastor or mental health professional regarding their personal issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
Why is it not shame on her for not sticking by his side? Just curious...

Whether our kids choose to eat a dozen twinkies a day, join the military and go to war or smoke weed, we have little to no control over our kids behavior once they are adults. Dad thought it best to stay out of her business. She's an adult. Why is he the one who is wrong?
Why? Because marijuana is bad for you (and most likely illegal in the state that the OP lives in).

Yes, she is an adult; but most people need some sort of guidance from an older person until they are 22-25. From what I understand, she still lives at home; therefore, she must abide by the rules of the household.

Old 11-21-2015, 10:43 AM

6,874 posts, read 7,851,412 times
I don't believe this story. When my daughter turned 18 I was automatically bounced out of any access to her medical records.

If you tell Dr. that anyone is doing something like that, they can't put it in the medical record, they didn't hear it from the patient or observe any direct evidence.

And being a marijuana user is not sufficient to deny insurance. Remember the Affordable Care Act?

Old 11-21-2015, 11:03 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,683,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
your daughter can go to a different doctor and start fresh.
That is not how medical records work these days.

Old 11-21-2015, 11:06 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,683,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
I don't believe this story. When my daughter turned 18 I was automatically bounced out of any access to her medical records.

If you tell Dr. that anyone is doing something like that, they can't put it in the medical record, they didn't hear it from the patient or observe any direct evidence.

And being a marijuana user is not sufficient to deny insurance. Remember the Affordable Care Act?
I am surprised that a doctor would take the mothers word without talking to the daughter....but old fashioned family doctors often don't keep that up to date on everything and if there is a long standing relationship with the family might take short cuts.

Old 11-21-2015, 11:12 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,605,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
your daughter can go to a different doctor and start fresh.
Not necessarily. If she has been denied insurance on that basis or if she has to pay a higher premium as a smoker, it is in a database that the insurance companies access.

Old 11-21-2015, 11:13 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,849,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
That is not how medical records work these days.
I think if you don't give them a previous doctor, they still can't access, if they are outside of the same medical group. I don't know about insurance though.

I get the over reaction. Pot isn't worst now then it used to be. In some ways, with vaporizing, it's better. But when my step son smoked pot the ex wife went bat**** insane. Caused problems with school, talked to his doctor, and even took the pot and pipe to a pharmacy for disposal (they were like...lady, there is a toilet in the back, flush it...and umm I guess we can throw the pipe away for you). She was so freaking hysteronic about it. She totally alienated her son and made a joke of herself.

Old 11-21-2015, 12:02 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,029,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
How would the insurance company know she smokes? On the application you just check no. I'm not sure how the company she is applying with would even know that. They don't have access to her medical records.
Of course they do....Once there is a record of drug abuse, it opens up lots of problems. Read the fine print on your next insurance application. You give them the right to review ALL medical records and in today's digital world it is pretty easy to find an obscure record. I have seen this before. The only remedy I have seen is only partial, and that is to write a rebuttal for her records. There might also be an issue with the wife adding something to an adult daughters records. If she was a minor it might be different, but I don't think that is appropriate for an adult child.

Old 11-21-2015, 12:12 PM

13,979 posts, read 25,889,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
I think you are incorrect. Adult children can remain on a parent's plan until age 26 even if married and even if they are not a dependent. Part of the purpose of this part of the ACA was that many new college graduates or other young people had jobs that did not provide insurance. This was a means of helping in that situation.

https://www.healthcare.gov/young-adu...dren-under-26/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I don't know how it is now, but I know my parents used to claim me as a dependent, kept me on their insurance, and I still filed a tax return because I worked from age 16-24.
Students can remain on the policy as long as they are attending school.

I went through this last year when our application was denied and I couldn't figure out why. Our youngest had graduated college, but was only 22. He was doing research, a paid position, but no benefits. Because he was filing a tax return, he was no longer listed as a dependent on our taxes. If he wasn't a dependent, he had to have his own policy.

It may be different if it's a privately held policy,or in another state, but under the ACA that's how it works, at least in our state.
And it may indeed be a state-by-state ruling.

Old 11-21-2015, 12:37 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,099,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Students can remain on the policy as long as they are attending school.

I went through this last year when our application was denied and I couldn't figure out why. Our youngest had graduated college, but was only 22. He was doing research, a paid position, but no benefits. Because he was filing a tax return, he was no longer listed as a dependent on our taxes. If he wasn't a dependent, he had to have his own policy.

It may be different if it's a privately held policy,or in another state, but under the ACA that's how it works, at least in our state.
And it may indeed be a state-by-state ruling.
That wouldn't work out very well for a student working part time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting