Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 12:41 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
That wouldn't work out very well for a student working part time
No, if they are attending school, even with a part-time job, they are still eligible to be a dependent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2015, 01:08 PM

769 posts, read 829,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
She should be able to be on your insurance until she is like 26

Just because they CAN be on your insurance until 26 doesnt mean you have to, or it's a good idea...

You know, the personal responsibility thing.

At 18 I sure would, but there's no way my son would be on my insurance at 26. Probably though college, not a second longer considering how expensive it is.

Old 11-21-2015, 01:12 PM

920 posts, read 931,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstwo View Post
Oh boy, my wife made things a real mess for our daughter and by extension, us. Our daughter is currently 18 and has been smoking marijuana since 17, so not that long. When we found out I was a lot more reasonable than my wife. I just told her the possible legal consequences and it wouldn't be allowed in our house, but when I was younger I also smoked. I thought it would be best to leave it at that but my wife made her watch all these anti-drug videos and see the govt funded websites that spread all lies and even made her write a 3 page essay on why marijuana was bad.

And we hadn't at least caught her smoking again but a few months ago as our daughter turned 18 she came back with an obvious weed smell. My wife flipped out and started berating her telling her she's going down a "dark path" that could ruin any future she has. It, of course made our daughter upset and she went crying to her room. But unbeknownst to me my wife went to our daughter's Dr and told her our daughter was a chronic pot smoker.

She thought she could help with an "intervention" It went on her medical records and now she has a hard time getting insurance. She's currently uninsured but if she wanted to be, her rates would be through the roof.
You guys need to pay the difference regarding her medical bills for life. It will be increased now forever due to your wife's anger issues.

Just ensure this happens, that you continue to pay your daughter for life the difference. Otherwise this vindictive act will never be accounted for.

She shouldn't suffer her entire life over your wife's anger issues. No wonder she smokes pot! Also get your wife in counseling as best you can, she certainly has some issues which need correcting before she goes off on a vindictive tirade against anyone else causing ongoing hurt for years to come. Obviously this is going to go into the medical records and cause havok for life. I am sure your wife knew it and went on a witch hunt against her own kin. She is like a teenager herself but in a worse way. She's too old not to know these things. Accept your wife may be quite cruel and watch her for now on like a HAWK around your daughter. She may be jealous of your relationship. Obviously Teens are known for going through these phases and turning out just fine, the the majority of them at least. You did good in discussing it with her, she shouldn't be using recreational drugs. But to put in in perspective, over 50% of the population are on BIG PHARMA medications, big time bad for you medications so that makes your daughter a real low time drug user. Pot is of course, very mind compared to hardcore Big Pharma drugs. But still a drug user is still a drug user....and you want to avoid that as much as possible. You did good.

Good luck, so sorry this happened. Hang in there, your daughter still has you

Last edited by OutdoorsyGal; 11-21-2015 at 01:38 PM..

Old 11-21-2015, 01:37 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
No, if they are attending school, even with a part-time job, they are still eligible to be a dependent.
Gotcha

Old 11-21-2015, 01:38 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorsyGal View Post
You guys need to pay the difference regarding her medical bills for life. It will be increased now forever due to your wife's anger issues.

Just ensure this happens, that you continue to pay your daughter for life the difference. Otherwise this vindictive act will never be accounted for.

She shouldn't suffer her entire life over your wife's anger issues. No wonder she smokes pot! Also get your wife in counseling as best you can, she certainly has some issues which need correcting before she goes off on a vindictive tirade against anyone else causing ongoing hurt. Obviously this is going to go into the medical records and cause havok for life. I am sure she knew and went on a witch hunt against her own kin. She's too old not to know these things. Accept your wife may be quite cruel and watch her for now on like a HAWK around your daughter. She may be jealous of your relationship. Obviously Teens are known for going through these phases and turning out just fine, the the majority of them at least. You did good in discussing it with her, she shouldn't be using recreational drugs. But to put in in perspective, over 50% of the population are on BIG PHARMA medications, big time bad for you medications so that makes your daughter a real low time drug user. But still a drug user and you want to avoid that as much as possible.

Good luck, so sorry this happened. Hang in there, your daughter still has you
First of all, smoking doesn't mark you for life. Once you have been a non-smoker for a year, you no longer pay a penalty.

How is a mother's concern for her daughter a witch hunt, cruel or jealous? Hyperbole at it's finest there.

Mom and Dad disagree with the pot smoking. That doesn't make one wrong, or one right. That means the parents need to get on the same page, or let the daughter live her own life (and pay her own expenses).

Old 11-21-2015, 01:39 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
What??? Pay the difference for life? What are you trying to say?

So the OP obviously thinks there's nothing wrong with weed, given his pooh-poohing of the info on the supposedly "gov't-funded" websites and his envy of metalman's pitiful father-daughter toke. What a lovely tradition that is to pass down.

And the OP is married to a women who thinks there certainly IS something wrong with smoking weed, yet he never knew this? Or he never expected her reaction??

Let's retell the story from the mom's POV.

She finds out her daughter has been doing drugs, so rather than offer to join her, she does what most parents are told to do. She tries to educate her, hold her accountable and get her medical help.

Two different approaches to the same problem. It doesn't bode well for the future of their marriage, but it makes me wonder how Mom and Dad got this far without knowing they weren't on the same team.

Last edited by BirdieBelle; 11-21-2015 at 01:52 PM..

Old 11-21-2015, 01:47 PM

Quote:
First of all, smoking doesn't mark you for life. Once you have been a non-smoker for a year, you no longer pay a penalty.

How is a mother's concern for her daughter a witch hunt, cruel or jealous? Hyperbole at it's finest there.

Mom and Dad disagree with the pot smoking. That doesn't make one wrong, or one right. That means the parents need to get on the same page, or let the daughter live her own life (and pay her own expenses).
The father and mother both agree about the pot smoking obviously. Please don't push this falsehood again.

Most parents do not like post smoking obviously and the OP is no different. You know this so this is interesting you are deliberately trying to portray the opposite about him. Sounds like you and his wife might get along well. I have no interest in repeating myself so will not bother to correct your other falsehoods.

Old 11-21-2015, 01:49 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
The father and mother both agree about the pot smoking obviously. Please don't push this falsehood again.

Most parents do not like post smoking obviously and the OP is no different.

Quote:
If it weren't for my wife I'd tell her to get me some and have a celebratory smoke for her 18th birthday.
Quote:
Funny how just about every person I grew up with smoking weed (and I am 43) are successful law-abiding adults that are still alive, happy and healthy. Also, I've known people that have smoked cigarettes that got cancer but never marijuana.
Are you actually reading the same thread, outdoorsy gal??? The OP does NOT agree with the mom about pot.

Old 11-21-2015, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
What??? Pay the difference for life? What are you trying to say?

So the OP obviously thinks there's nothing wrong with weed, given his pooh-poohing of the info on the supposedly "gov't-funded" websites and his envy of metalman's father-daughter toke. What a lovely tradition that is to pass down.
You are the perfect example of someone deliberately pushing falsehoods. Lying is unbecoming and shows a temper. Please calm down.

He spoke with his daughter about it in a normal civilized fashion. He is against her smoking weed as 99% of parents would be. He's no different. Now take a deep breathe and don't go into a tirade, your post is really out there. NO parents are smoking pot with their children, so please relax. You sound so much like the poor OP's wife it's scary

Old 11-21-2015, 01:53 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,882,691 times
Quote:
Students can remain on the policy as long as they are attending school.

I went through this last year when our application was denied and I couldn't figure out why. Our youngest had graduated college, but was only 22. He was doing research, a paid position, but no benefits. Because he was filing a tax return, he was no longer listed as a dependent on our taxes. If he wasn't a dependent, he had to have his own policy.

It may be different if it's a privately held policy,or in another state, but under the ACA that's how it works, at least in our state.
And it may indeed be a state-by-state ruling.
Our 22 year old who is out of college and filing his own taxes gets insurance through my husbands work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting