Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 07:46 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,615,133 times

Advertisements

On the Autism slectrum(high functioning) be watching this new Star Wars movie?

I got into a mini argument with a friend who thought this was appropriate! I disagree that Star Wars with all this violence should be watched by anyone under 15!!!!

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2015, 07:51 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,406,162 times
I don't see anything wrong with kids under 15 watching Star Wars. But you know your own child and his/her mental delicacies better than we personally do. If you think it would disturb or influence them, don't let them watch.

Logic 101. Not a hard decision to make. Sheesh.

Old 12-06-2015, 08:09 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,615,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G0DDESS View Post
I don't see anything wrong with kids under 15 watching Star Wars. But you know your own child and his/her mental delicacies better than we personally do. If you think it would disturb or influence them, don't let them watch.

Logic 101. Not a hard decision to make. Sheesh.
"My kids" aren't allowed to watch it, but mine are younger.

This person I was chatting with frowned at me when I said I don't let my kids watch it, and how I didn't see fit for someone with Autism to watch it since they don't understand things the same way, are sensitive to noise per what I'm told etc.

Old 12-06-2015, 08:12 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,730,901 times
It's up to that child's parents. I'm not really sure why you would be worried about this if it's not your kid. Presumably, that child's parents have been making decisions for the child his/her own life and can probably handle this one, too.

Old 12-06-2015, 08:22 AM

22,595 posts, read 47,698,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
I didn't see fit for someone with Autism to watch it since they don't understand things the same way
And your knowledge of what is appropriate for that particular child is based upon ______ ???

Unless you are part of that child's medical team, you know nothing of what he/she can adequately handle. And why this is any of your business is beyond me.

Old 12-06-2015, 08:44 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
I don't know about this particular kid, but I don't agree that anyone under 15 shouldn't see it. How did you come up with that?

Old 12-06-2015, 08:47 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,964,041 times
My husband's 7th birthday party was going to see the new Star Wars movie. Only 1 kid wasn't allowed to go. My son has seen a couple of them and he will be 8 in a few weeks. I toyed with the idea of doing the same for my son's 8th b-day party. The ratings for the SW movies usually aren't more than PG. Really it's up to each parent on what their kid can see or not see. Get a grip...yeesh.

This is an age by age guide and they start out at 6 but once again it's common sense. Only you know your kid.

https://www.commonsensemedia.org/blo...e-by-age-guide

Old 12-06-2015, 08:49 AM

1,599 posts, read 1,809,967 times
I'm pretty particular about what my kids watch and I let them see the Star Wars movies (my husband is very into it, so we compromised; my kids' personalities played a factor of course). They are young too. My husband wants to take them to see the new one, I would prefer to screen it first, so we'll see where we land.

They also saw the original Jurassic Park, no issues. We have them close their eyes during the people eating scenes, but other than that they loved it. We deemed Jurassic World too gory; too much people eating lol.

I think 15 is a bit extreme. I could understand 10 or 11, but, I agree if it's not your kid, it's none of your business.

Old 12-06-2015, 09:18 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,406,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
"My kids" aren't allowed to watch it, but mine are younger.

This person I was chatting with frowned at me when I said I don't let my kids watch it, and how I didn't see fit for someone with Autism to watch it since they don't understand things the same way, are sensitive to noise per what I'm told etc.
I would frown at your assumption as well because you have to understand: Autism is a huge spectrum. A high functioning Autistic (such as someone with mild Asperger's) could probably handle it just fine. Again, it boils down to the specific child. Likewise, a child with more severe Autism may not even be able to focus or stay interested long enough to watch it at all.

One should not group all children who are on the spectrum together. That would be silly.

Yes, your idea is irrational. There are too many variations of Autism to apply the same principals to all of them. Not well thought out, love.

Old 12-06-2015, 09:27 AM

161 posts, read 137,068 times
I don't think her thoughts are irrational at all. She's concerned for her friend's child and it could be for any number of reasons.

Doesn't give anyone here the right to speculate and judge her by any means. What if it were you?

Think about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting