Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2015, 12:37 PM

480 posts, read 667,905 times

Advertisements

Do you know others who try to buy friends for their children?

Does it work?

I know a family that does...the mom is a girl scout leader and she spends extensively on her troop, and wants her child to be friends with others in the troop. I don't know much more than that but it kinda bugs me in a way...we do not try to buy friends for our kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 01:53 PM

676 posts, read 725,329 times
I usually steal them from walmart. got one of his siblings like that too. Its far more affordable.

Old 11-23-2015, 02:38 PM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredtired View Post
I do believe that is illegal in all states.

Old 11-24-2015, 07:28 AM

217 posts, read 246,934 times
I heard you can buy a friend and get one half off on Black Friday.

Old 11-24-2015, 07:37 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackRyder View Post
I heard you can buy a friend and get one half off on Black Friday.
Yep, my neighbor is already in line for that deal.

Old 11-25-2015, 10:11 AM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:

Does it work?

I know a family that does...the mom is a girl scout leader and she spends extensively on her troop, and wants her child to be friends with others in the troop. I don't know much more than that but it kinda bugs me in a way...we do not try to buy friends for our kids.

Obviously I don't know the details, but from this thumbnail description the mother sounds more like a stage mom than someone who is trying to buy friends for her daughter. Wanting her daughter to be friends with her troop-mates is common and normal. Spending a lot of money on the troop, while less common and normal, isn't necessarily indicative of anything particularly sinister.

As to the original question, I don't know anyone who has tried it. I would think that it wouldn't work. You might be able to get superficial companionship that way, but if someone doesn't like a person, getting paid by that person's parent is not going to make you like them better.

When I was in high school, I had a fair number of acquaintances and casual friends, but only one really close friend. The joke between us, then and now, is that my father had to pay him to be my friend. (I guess my dad must have paid pretty well, because we've been friends going on 35 years now.)

Old 11-25-2015, 06:26 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:

Does it work?

Girl Scouts does make girls into friends by buying things for the troop. It is a principle of girl scouts that they should be a friend to every scout. Spending extensively on the troop - how? Do the girls or parents pay dues? Do they have a troop account that she spends from? In general the troop leader should not be spending a lot of her own money though she may spend some. What is she spending money on? Usually field trips are paid for by parents (though some girls may get *scholarship aid* if they cannot afford this).

Old 11-28-2015, 10:14 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
Quote:

Does it work?

Yeh...it works.
The (bought) kids will hang out with them cause they know there's something in it for them.
Moms not really buying their friendship though...just some of their time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting