Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 11:50 AM

666 posts, read 642,274 times

Advertisements

I would at least get a free consultation with a lawyer, OP. This happened to a buddy of mine and the child ended up getting expelled from one of the top primary schools. What had happened was that the teacher was initially downplaying the situation and shrugging it off as no big deal, just told the parents, as it were, to have a chat with the child about keeping your hands to yourself. Well the parents of the little girl took it all the way to the school board and by the time my buddy found out, little guy was removed from the school. The games involving punches and touch had been going on for way too long by then. Sigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2015, 12:00 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,247,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidatagl View Post
No...or not yet. But I am concerned about the possibility that the other kid's parents will do. Do I need to find a lawyer now?
I think that is unnecessary, unless something comes of it.

Old 11-24-2015, 12:35 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyeBright View Post
By six, kids should really already know the names of their genitals as well as the fact that these are private areas. They should definitely be learning or have already learned what is and isn't appropriate touching. Whether or not you keep your child from viewing sexual content (news flash, no matter how hard you try, they are still going to see some) is irrelevant. It's a danger for children to be ignorant about sex related topics (age appropriate, of course). They need to know good touch/bad touch.

Exactly. My grandkids have known about private parts and that it is a no-no to be touched down there, and to tell us if they have been, since about 3 years old and potty trained.

Your son should know better at 6 to touch anyone in the privates.

Old 11-24-2015, 02:13 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,043,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I don't think so. Why not have your son write an apology note to the little girl though, as acknowledgment that he understands he was wrong to punch her (without even mentioning where the punch landed). It couldn't hurt.
I think this is good advice.

I have two girls and a boy. One of them (girl) was the aggressor in a playground incident when she was in 2nd grade. Teacher informed me, husband and I discussed with her how she should have handled the situation, told her no screen time for one week, and had her write a letter of apology to the boy. Done deal, never heard another word about it, never had another incident.

I think it's important to take seriously, and set the right tone going forward, but no need to get overly worried, either.

Address it properly now, and we won't be debating whether or not he should be charged with assault for grabbing and kissing a girl when he's 14 (that was another thread).

Old 11-24-2015, 02:28 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
6 year olds need to be told that there are boundaries, to keep their hands to themselves - boys and girls.

Old 11-25-2015, 01:27 AM

666 posts, read 642,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonderella View Post
I think this is good advice.

I have two girls and a boy. One of them (girl) was the aggressor in a playground incident when she was in 2nd grade. Teacher informed me, husband and I discussed with her how she should have handled the situation, told her no screen time for one week, and had her write a letter of apology to the boy. Done deal, never heard another word about it, never had another incident.
you guys are brave, I'd be afraid to acknowledge these incidents in writing.

Old 02-03-2016, 06:37 AM

41 posts, read 30,020 times
Don't make a big issue out of it, but you do need to have a talk about body parts and what is off limits and why.

Old 09-08-2020, 06:23 PM

213 posts, read 131,644 times
That's just not right. I know he's a kid but he needs to know better right away. If I were that girl's parents I'd be pretty PO'ed a boy would think he is entitled to another kid's body, especially a girl's.

Old 09-08-2020, 07:28 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,645,470 times
This is so sad to me.

Kids do things, including sexual play and experimentation.

I understand that it is not okay to touch others without their consent - but how does that play out with children, MOST OF WHOM PLAY DOCTOR (and if you didn't play doctor, not sure what to think).

Old 09-08-2020, 07:34 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Folks, the OP was posted 5 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting