Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 06:10 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,807,522 times

Advertisements

Christmas is coming! How do you feel about people giving your children extravagant gifts? Does it make a difference if they ask first? Have you ever turned down the offer of a gift?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2015, 06:21 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,877,050 times
I think if someone wants to buy an extravagant gift, they should run it by the parents.

For practicality...the kid might have it, or the parents might not approve of it, or the parents or Santa might be bringing it. There might not be room in the house for it.

For politeness...most people run gifts by me for the above mentioned reasons. But if it's expensive, it could dwarf what the parents are giving and that's...I don't know, not cool.

Yep, anything big should be run by the parents, bottom line.

Old 11-27-2015, 06:26 PM

I can't think of a time of turned down a gift. Every year Santa brings a big and special gift for our kids. And we get them several smaller gifts. My kids love the idea of Santa. It's been fun. But my mom figured it out several years ago when my big boys were still young and before my little ones were born. Every year she would ask me what Santa was bringing. And I would tell her. She would say "oh well that's what I am getting for them" (despite her low income). I learned to not buy it until I told her so I didn't have to do a return. I don't have a relationship with her now, but I wish I had just out my foot down on that nonsense early on. Nope mom, that's what Santa is bringing. You got to come up with another idea.

Old 11-27-2015, 08:54 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
Christmas is coming! How do you feel about people giving your children extravagant gifts? Does it make a difference if they ask first? Have you ever turned down the offer of a gift?

I have never had anyone give my children an extravagant gift.

Old 11-27-2015, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I think if someone wants to buy an extravagant gift, they should run it by the parents.

For practicality...the kid might have it, or the parents might not approve of it, or the parents or Santa might be bringing it. There might not be room in the house for it.

For politeness...most people run gifts by me for the above mentioned reasons. But if it's expensive, it could dwarf what the parents are giving and that's...I don't know, not cool.

Yep, anything big should be run by the parents, bottom line.
I'm glad someone else gets that. My in-laws go way over the top with Christmas and sometimes I feel like they are trying to buy my kids (they like to remind them that that toy or shirt or whatever came from them) or out do us. My husband doesn't make tons of money, so we don't get to buy them stuff that often so we try to get them special things at Christmas, but then here comes the truckload of goodies from gma and gpa. Usually they don't get overly expensive things, but the quantity is a lot.

They have bought some expensive things without asking though and it kinda irks me. My BIL got our daughter a bike a couple years ago and I was crushed, because your first bike is something you always remember and it was definitely something that I wanted to come from us. My husband felt the same way, so we thanked BIL and told him our feelings, then returned it (daughter never saw it), but ever since BIL has only sent gift cards (I think that has more to do with getting married though as we have barely been a blip on his radar since then). We also said no to a large backyard play structure. Thankfully they had to ask us something about it before they ordered it, otherwise I think it would have just shown up! (We were debating a move across town BTW, that we weren't ready to discuss; we followed through, so it would have been a waste of money.)

Idk, getting big gifts from someone other than us just feels inappropriate to me, especially without prior consent.

Old 11-27-2015, 09:04 PM

912 posts, read 914,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
It depends who is giving it and, more importantly, what it is. If it's a questionable item (i.e. for safety reasons) like technology, weapons, etc (yes, I do realize I'm lumping the two together), then yes, it should be approved by mom first. Otherwise, I don't have much objection.

As for the giver, well, my ex likes to give my son extravagant gifts. The upside to having full custody is that I can decide if/when my son gets to use them. He's still of the age that I get little resistance, but I'm sure this will get more tough as he ages.

It really just depends on the gift and the giver.

Old 11-27-2015, 09:06 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
ottom line.
What qualifies as extravagant?

Old 11-27-2015, 09:08 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
My philosophy: If it's something thoughtful that my kids will love and can use, what the hell is wrong with that?

No ego in it like, "Wah! I wanted to be the one to buy him xyz!"

Who cares where they get it?

Old 11-27-2015, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
What qualifies as extravagant?
I'd say something large or over $100.

Old 11-27-2015, 09:12 PM

Quote:
I'd say something large or over $100.
Ditto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting