Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 03:03 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,735,287 times

Advertisements

$30 max.

No CC use. We try to pay cash or at least spend what we can immediately pay off.

Trying to teach her that the holidays is not all about the gifts but times spent together. Not saying others on here that spend $$$$$ are materialistic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 03:11 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,250,361 times
We have gone way over the 100 euros that I thought we'd spend this year. OH went and asked her to choose two gifts from a toy magazine and bought them for her after I already bought her gifts so I've put aside some I already chose to save for her birthday but still over now for christmas.

Old 12-10-2015, 03:31 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
$30 max.

No CC use. We try to pay cash or at least spend what we can immediately pay off.

Trying to teach her that the holidays is not all about the gifts but times spent together. Not saying others on here that spend $$$$$ are materialistic.
How much did you spend on that Nikon you shoot?

Old 12-10-2015, 03:32 PM

I have spent exactly $0.00 on Christmas gifts so far. Usually I'm done shopping before December. Could some kick me in the butt?

Old 12-10-2015, 03:42 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,735,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
How much did you spend on that Nikon you shoot?
I don't buy a new Nikon every year. Spot the difference.

Old 12-10-2015, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
I don't buy a new Nikon every year. Spot the difference.
Lenses? Filters? Computer programs? Seminars? Online classes? Subscriptions?

Hey if $30 is all you can swing, that's fine. If you are celebrating Christmas in a different way...totally cool. But not everyone is going to agree with you or adopt your spending guidelines.

Old 12-10-2015, 04:17 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,814,543 times
My son is an only child. We spent maybe $300 on him when he was little and more when he got older.

My sister has 7 kids. They are all adults now, but I have no clue how she handled it as her husband did not work.

My parents had 5 kids. I don't know what they spent, but it never seemed lacking to me in any way. I was just as excited by the new PJs on Christmas Eve as anything in the morning.

Old 12-10-2015, 04:30 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,961,604 times
This year I think we've spent the most we have ever spent. We got them a joint gift of a trampoline which was one of the Amazon deal of the days. I really wanted to get them one and have been talking about it since summer. Trampoline included we are at about $400 per kid. DS's birthday is about 3 weeks after Christmas and some things could be held back for his birthday.

Old 12-10-2015, 07:13 PM

649 posts, read 570,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
This year I think we've spent the most we have ever spent. We got them a joint gift of a trampoline which was one of the Amazon deal of the days. I really wanted to get them one and have been talking about it since summer. Trampoline included we are at about $400 per kid. DS's birthday is about 3 weeks after Christmas and some things could be held back for his birthday.
Word of advice, get the net that goes around it if you haven't already. I had a very sad little girl that spent half a summer in a cast because she flipped right off it and broke her arm.

Old 12-10-2015, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melovescookies View Post
Word of advice, get the net that goes around it if you haven't already. I had a very sad little girl that spent half a summer in a cast because she flipped right off it and broke her arm.
Ok, maybe. But shall we wrap our kids in bubble wrap? A broken bone was expected in my childhood. I had none. My brother had three. This year my kids school has had 4 broken bones from the playground. They are talking about getting rid of the play ground totally. The parents of those four are pissed. But... It passed all safety tests. It's just that it happens. Hundreds of kids are spending 45 minutes a day on the play ground. Four have broken a bone. Yeah that's bad. But not as bad as not letting them play and have fun "in case" they get hurt. If someone died, I'd be singing a different tune. But I don't want my kids play ground taken away and just have them play in the field left behind.

Let's wrap them in bubble wrap. Don't let them play outside. ???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting