Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 09:38 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo8414 View Post
I have spent up to $1000 or so. it just depends on my financial situation at the time and what my son wants that year. If I can afford it ill get what ever it is my son and wife want within reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I think that works. As long as you aren't going into debt. Or major debt that hasn't been paid off by next Christmas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Seriously? I'm upset if I haven't paid off Christmas by the following month. 2 at the most.

I agree with Kibbiekat. We tried not to ever charge Christmas presents. If we couldn't pay cash for it, we wouldn't buy it.

Although, it was a few years ago we usually spent about $75 per child, sometimes more if it was for something bigger. However, we almost always went to visit the grandparents in Florida and that was $250 to $300 each for the plane tickets and often big money spent for admissions or activities while on the trip. However, we did sometimes have to charge the plane tickets to spread the cost over several months.

I know several families who do the three gift method. One thing to read, one thing to wear and one thing for fun. Plus a gift from Santa. If a child starts with that when they are little it becomes a reliable pattern to expect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2015, 09:45 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
I give each kid a budget of $100 and they watch for sales to stretch their money as far as possible. I usually spend about another $100 on each kid, but on gifts that I've chosen rather than things they've chosen.

I don't give clothes as gifts. We buy clothes pretty often throughout the year so they don't feel like gifts to me.

Right now one of the kids has 5 dolls and two doll furniture sets, plus a bunch of miniature dollhouse dishes and doll food. The other kid has 6 dolls, two art books and a stack of sketch pads.

Old 11-30-2015, 10:15 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Seriously? I'm upset if I haven't paid off Christmas by the following month. 2 at the most.
Well evwryome has their priorities. We only vacation every few years to pay for Christmas, birthdays and private school. While lots of people take a yearly vacation. Everyone has their own priorities.

Old 11-30-2015, 10:53 PM

912 posts, read 915,440 times
Quote:
When I was a kid we were poor but were gifted $50 per kid which included food for Christmas. I'd get a few small random things, fruit, underwear, sock. But that's as far as it went.

I have a kid with a birthday right before Christmas. I offer my kids a family weekend trip (driving only) and the option to pick out their own gift on the trip. Or a party at an event place. They have chosen the weekend for 3 years. I'm glad because my daughter (who has lots of friends) would get 20+ birthday gifts right before Christmas. And then she was just overwhelmed with the amount of new toys.
We were too. I think it has made me the hard worker I am today. While I can give my son so much more than I had as a child, I struggle with allowing myself because I want him to appreciate what he has.

I planned to make the same offer to my son when he's older: trip vs party. His birthday is in the dead of our snowiest month, though, so I hope either doesn't backfire on me. He could ask for a trip involving snow like skiing (which I hate -- I'd secretly hope he'd pick the beach ) or we could have a party that could potentially get snowed out. So it's a toss. It will be interesting to see what he picks at that age.

We do vacation every year without fail though, even when money is tight. I was taught those are the years you need the vacation the most, because usually they are the most stressful. So we head to the beach many weekends that it's warm. My mother said I was the only child she knew that was more excited for summer than Christmas. I hope my son has the same appreciation for the more important things in life.

Old 11-30-2015, 10:57 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Zero and before we quit buying Christmas gifts the limit ws $25.00 when they were younger and $50.00 when they got older and nothing electronic was allowed.

Old 11-30-2015, 11:15 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,700,812 times
$0.

But our situation is different from most families.

Xmas day is a holiday so we hit the beach all day, then they pick their favorite place to eat out.

We fly the red eye Xmas night to visit one side of the family and they get showered with gifts from grands and aunts when we arrive.

We used to buy them toys and necessities throughout the year without any thought for Christmas: A new wetsuit for a good report card, a upcycled or craigslist bike when they outgrew the old one and we found a killer deal, etc.

Nowadays, though, they have a ridiculous amount of disposable income (for a kid) so they don't wait for mom and dad. Except for socks.

Also, they get more stuff from the other side of the family during the part of the year they spend overseas.

Xmas, though a big event for us, isn't the huge once a year deal it is for many.

Old 11-30-2015, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserName14289 View Post
We were too. I think it has made me the hard worker I am today. While I can give my son so much more than I had as a child, I struggle with allowing myself because I want him to appreciate what he has.

I planned to make the same offer to my son when he's older: trip vs party. His birthday is in the dead of our snowiest month, though, so I hope either doesn't backfire on me. He could ask for a trip involving snow like skiing (which I hate -- I'd secretly hope he'd pick the beach ) or we could have a party that could potentially get snowed out. So it's a toss. It will be interesting to see what he picks at that age.

We do vacation every year without fail though, even when money is tight. I was taught those are the years you need the vacation the most, because usually they are the most stressful. So we head to the beach many weekends that it's warm. My mother said I was the only child she knew that was more excited for summer than Christmas. I hope my son has the same appreciation for the more important things in life.
As for birthday trips, you can put parameters on them easily, without your kid noticing. Either or works well.

As for vacations...I get it. We usually get a trip I. A year with duel purpose (daddy's work usually). But it's only every few years we splurge for a big vacation. This winter is Disney world. Last was a cruise. Etc. but we have birthdays trips to pay for...a good Christmas (4 kids) and private school and college.

It all comes out in the wash.

Old 11-30-2015, 11:27 PM

And a ton of holiday shopping is realted to family. We don't have much. So the kids get a book from an aunt and another one from grandparents. Always above their reading level. Everything else is left to us. Two books plus what we buy. Puts a lot on us parents.

Old 11-30-2015, 11:33 PM

I had a friend who bragged that she only got her kids 3 gifts for less then $100 each. Despite being Wealthy. One Christmas Day I stopped by to bring cookies...the house was filled with toys and wrapping paper. More then I ever saw. Then she explained tthat the kids were the only grandkids of both sets of grandparents and they each brought a car load. And had several aunts and uncles who got them lots of gifts.

If that were the case for my kids, I'd only get them a couple gifts each too.

Old 11-30-2015, 11:59 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times
For my niece and nephew, I'm thinking average $30 each. Probably a board game for one of them (which they can share!), and I'm still deciding on the other. I also missed their b-days since I'm on the other side of the country (and yeah, I did forget ), but I do plan to up the amount as they get older. Problem is, they got SOOO much crap from their parents over x-mas a few years back (which I know firsthand b/c I was there) that you'd think they'd be set for life

Quote:
I had a friend who bragged that she only got her kids 3 gifts for less then $100 each. Despite being Wealthy. One Christmas Day I stopped by to bring cookies...the house was filled with toys and wrapping paper. More then I ever saw. Then she explained that the kids were the only grandkids of both sets of grandparents and they each brought a car load. And had several aunts and uncles who got them lots of gifts.

If that were the case for my kids, I'd only get them a couple gifts each too.
I've talked with "only childs", and they do seem to get a disproportionate # of gifts vs. families 2 or more siblings. One of them I talked to did suspect that being an only child did save $$ otherwise, so they were able to be spoiled more. TBF, he felt he's earned it... he works hard, studies hard, is of good character, and from the brief moments I knew him, I'd agree to that. He still wish his parents made him work for it more though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting