Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 03:52 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times

Advertisements

The dad is Ronnie Wood from the Rolling Stones. So no SS survivor benefits but the children will inherit a fortune.

SS survivor benefits is money a child may be eligible for if his/her parents die before the child turns 18.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 04:33 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,518,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
The dad is Ronnie Wood from the Rolling Stones. So no SS survivor benefits but the children will inherit a fortune.

SS survivor benefits is money a child may be eligible for if his/her parents die before the child turns 18.
Thank you

Old 12-07-2015, 04:52 PM

52,198 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Yeah, I don't think the wife and kids are gonna have to worry about money when ol Ronnie buys the farm, that's for sure.

Old 12-07-2015, 04:59 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,647,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Yeah, I don't think the wife and kids are gonna have to worry about money when ol Ronnie buys the farm, that's for sure.
Yes money will be the least of their problems...

Old 12-07-2015, 05:36 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,877,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Mom and the kids are going to inherit a wad. If it's in the USA, they get SS survivor benefits. Mom won't have any trouble finding a new dad for them. The kids will be fine.
Well not "fine". Fathers aren't actually easily replaceable. I'm sure his children will love him and if they lose him as kids, that will leave scars.

I still believe in reproductive freedom. But money isn't everything.

Old 12-07-2015, 05:54 PM

Reproductive freedom is one thing, but as was mentioned previously and I wasn't aware of is that men's sperm degrades or whatever is the correct term and the chances of birth defects go up as he gets older and I think it's another variable to be concerned about, I don't have any issues with children with birth defects, but it's something to think about, knowingly having children with special needs should be a concern, it's only fair to the potential child to not necessarily saddle them with limitations... IDK... this can become a touchy subject, so I'm trying to broach it as lightly as I can.

We have in our extended family two little girls with some genetic conditions inherited from the parents. They had one girl and noticed that she was having developmental issues and had her tested and found out that she has a condition with a long name that I can't recall, but basically a form of MD and it was because of the mother having some kind of gene issue. They then had a another child and she's got the same condition. IDK... these girls don't have a long life expectancy and require a lot of energy to care for them. They are sweet little girls and it's awful knowing that they aren't expect to make it too much past adolescence, sort of chokes me up thinking about it.

What an awful feeling those parent must have when you wake up in the middle of the night thinking about losing them. I can't imagine it, I don't think I have the personal strength to handle something like that.

Old 12-07-2015, 05:55 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,384,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
Some of the comments in this thread are examples of why we can't have nice things here.

People have sex. 60 year olds are people. Complete the syllogism.

Napoleon is irrelevant to this conversation, and really to any conversation when used as it was used here. That one never ceases to not amuse me. I'm 6-1. by the way, so....

I generally think that within reason people can do what they want as long as they don't infringe on my right or someone else's right to do the same. Situations like this test my loyalty to that principle, but not all that vigorously. I am consistently a bit embarrassed when a man, or these days occasionally a woman, clearly purchases the "affection" of another. Still their business, but I kind of wish it didn't happen.
She wasn't referring to height....LOL.

Old 12-07-2015, 06:56 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,877,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Reproductive freedom is one thing, but as was mentioned previously and I wasn't aware of is that men's sperm degrades or whatever is the correct term and the chances of birth defects go up as he gets older and I think it's another variable to be concerned about, I don't have any issues with children with birth defects, but it's something to think about, knowingly having children with special needs should be a concern, it's only fair to the potential child to not necessarily saddle them with limitations... IDK... this can become a touchy subject, so I'm trying to broach it as lightly as I can.

We have in our extended family two little girls with some genetic conditions inherited from the parents. They had one girl and noticed that she was having developmental issues and had her tested and found out that she has a condition with a long name that I can't recall, but basically a form of MD and it was because of the mother having some kind of gene issue. They then had a another child and she's got the same condition. IDK... these girls don't have a long life expectancy and require a lot of energy to care for them. They are sweet little girls and it's awful knowing that they aren't expect to make it too much past adolescence, sort of chokes me up thinking about it.

What an awful feeling those parent must have when you wake up in the middle of the night thinking about losing them. I can't imagine it, I don't think I have the personal strength to handle something like that.
You sound actually reasonable about it. Using terms like "it's something to think about". It is something to think about by the people deciding to have the children. Some people have other genetic risk factors, and they have to make the choice, too.

Would I encourage someone almost 70 to have a kid? No. But I think it's their right.

They grey area comes in around assisted reproductive technology. But that's a debate for another day.

Old 12-07-2015, 07:51 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Eh, it is a slippery slope to decide where the line is of who should and should not be having kids.

People are having kids later and later. This means inevitably that more of those kids are going to lose their parents earlier than those who had kids younger. Meanwhile children of "older" parents are more financial secure leading to a variety of better outcomes. So does that offset the risk of losing said parent sooner?

And from their it is a quick leap to a whole variety of other moral issue regarding who should or should not have children. Medical issues, travel issues (remember that episode of Mad About You were Helen Hunt wouldn't fly on the same plane as her husband so as not to possibly orphan the baby?), financial issues, and so on and so on.

Luckily most men who are having children very late in life tend to be financial secure.

Old 12-07-2015, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Eh, it is a slippery slope to decide where the line is of who should and should not be having kids.

People are having kids later and later. This means inevitably that more of those kids are going to lose their parents earlier than those who had kids younger. Meanwhile children of "older" parents are more financial secure leading to a variety of better outcomes. So does that offset the risk of losing said parent sooner?

And from their it is a quick leap to a whole variety of other moral issue regarding who should or should not have children. Medical issues, travel issues (remember that episode of Mad About You were Helen Hunt wouldn't fly on the same plane as her husband so as not to possibly orphan the baby?), financial issues, and so on and so on.

Luckily most men who are having children very late in life tend to be financial secure.
I agree, I don't want to live in a world where the government decides who does and doesn't have kids, a la China's birth policies, but I do think that people have a moral obligation to do what's best for the life that they are bringing into the world, as I've said in this thread a few times, the innocent person that others bring into the world and some consideration needs to given to that innocent third party.

That's probably my main point of this thread, for people to not be selfish and put their wants and desires ahead of what best for someone that doesn't have a say in the matter.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting