Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 08:26 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post

Napoleon is irrelevant to this conversation, and really to any conversation when used as it was used here. That one never ceases to not amuse me. I'm 6-1. by the way, so....
Perhaps you haven't read enough of that poster's (and those of lots of other young guys) to know that he's always taking pot shots at women in general, and "older " women in particular. They interject digs about a women's appearances, fertility, and "market value" at any opportunity and when it is entirely irrelevant. When he began with his "it's completely normal for men to be with much younger women" shpiel, I knew where he was headed. My parenthetical comment did not come out of nowhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 08:27 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,680,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I know lots of older parents. They are happy as clams. If that's what they want, and they plan for their children's future, how is it your business?

The bottom line is, we can't set a cut off date for when people should and should not be having kids. Nature pretty much does that for women, but men....heck, they can get their 20 year old mistress knocked up.

So we send the cops to get them when they hit an age that the OP chooses to sterilize them? Come on.
Celebs sure want to make it everyones biz. Why would it be in the news, otherwise.

Personally, if they can take care of the children, more power to them.

Old 12-07-2015, 08:31 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Well, that Ron Wood's wife is about to have kids IS the topic of this thread. That would be why people are talking about the "sake of the kids."
Yeah, because so many 68 year olds are becoming fathers.

The topic was started by someone who has not hidden the fact that he's "against" age-gap relationships. Same agenda, different day.

Old 12-07-2015, 08:41 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,658,574 times
Just another example of some old, ugly rock star who manages to attract a beautiful woman half his age. Funny how that works.

Old 12-07-2015, 09:00 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,348,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Perhaps you haven't read enough of that poster's (and those of lots of other young guys) to know that he's always taking pot shots at women in general, and "older " women in particular. They interject digs about a women's appearances, fertility, and "market value" at any opportunity and when it is entirely irrelevant. When he began with his "it's completely normal for men to be with much younger women" shpiel, I knew where he was headed. My parenthetical comment did not come out of nowhere.

Those comments about women's "market value" totally suck. I agree with you and I couldn't agree more. However, the term "napoleon complex" generally refers to a short man who is over compensating for his lack of height. My objection is that tall men and short men are a$$holes, but when short men are a$$holes we have a special, demeaning term for it. I think a$$hole works in all cases, and it doesn't libel an entire group of people based on silly negative stereotypes that don't apply to most of them.

Now if you use "napoleon complex" to nail people with delusions of grandeur, I'm right there with you. The whole stilted way some of these guys write and I assume talk is really self important and pretentious, probably in an effort to give their sad little story some weight.

Old 12-07-2015, 09:03 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,378,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I know lots of older parents. They are happy as clams. If that's what they want, and they plan for their children's future, how is it your business?

^^ This... None of my business and I could care less - so many worse problems in the world to "rail against." The dad is obviously financially set, maybe has close relationships with extended family who can serve parental/mentor roles and surround the child with love and support, maybe father will live to be 100... Who knows... My father died (at 35) when I was 7 years old... Nothing in life is assured.

Most of my friends/family are older parents. My husband was mid-40's when our last child was born, and we are indeed happy as clams. Got to spend many years before kids traveling around the world on many highly-physical adventures (while we were highly fit to do this - we did not put this off until retirement). We also had the time to start multiple businesses, so now our family/kids are financially set for life. We are wiser and patient as parents with no regrets - we've been around the block.

Those of you who think 40+ is too old to coach Little League etc. are mistaken as we have coached just about every sport for our kids, and some of the parent coaches are older than us. We keep ourselves healthy and fit. And our kids are incredibly happy and well-adjusted. Indeed we are all happy as clams.

Old 12-07-2015, 09:06 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
Those comments about women's "market value" totally suck. I agree with you and I couldn't agree more. However, the term "napoleon complex" generally refers to a short man who is over compensating for his lack of height. My objection is that tall men and short men are a$$holes, but when short men are a$$holes we have a special, demeaning term for it. I think a$$hole works in all cases, and it doesn't libel an entire group of people based on silly negative stereotypes that don't apply to most of them.
You're right. I shouldn't have used that term. I usually try to avoid stooping to the rudeness that is the norm for some posters, but I'm only human.

Old 12-07-2015, 09:06 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
^^ This... None of my business and I could care less - so many worse problems in the world to "rail against." The dad is obviously financially set, maybe has close relationships with extended family who can serve parental/mentor roles and surround the child with love and support, maybe father will live to be 100... Who knows... My father died (at 35) when I was 7 years old... Nothing in life is assured.

Most of my friends/family are older parents. My husband was mid-40's when our last child was born, and we are indeed happy as clams. Got to spend many years before kids traveling around the world on many highly-physical adventures (while we were highly fit to do this - we did not put this off until retirement). We also had the time to start multiple businesses, so now our family/kids are financially set for life. We are wiser and patient as parents with no regrets - we've been around the block.

Those of you who think 40+ is too old to coach Little League etc. are mistaken as we have coached just about every sport for our kids, and some of the parent coaches are older than us. We keep ourselves healthy and fit. And our kids are incredibly happy and well-adjusted. Indeed we are all happy as clams.
Ummm. Isn't the OP about a man who is 68, not in his 40s? Do you not acknowledge the difference?

Old 12-07-2015, 09:12 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,306,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxiegal View Post
Come on back in and give us an update when you reach 60.
I barely have sex at 26. I'll be done by the time I'm 60 lol.

Old 12-07-2015, 09:12 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post

Gah, a little math is in order. If they're 45 and coaching little league they had the kid in their 30s. I'm 44, it the kid was conceived today, I'd be 45. So we're talking mid 50s when driving to hockey at 6am, soccer, band practices, little league, etc etc etc, and 60s when paying for college and moving in and out of dorms, then late 60s when you're helping them get established with a career etc. I keep in pretty darn good shape and I plan on continuing that, but I see the toll it takes on my older brother and others I know in their late 40s and 50s trying to keep up with pre teen and teen boys. They're exhausted and it wears on them.

Is it doable? Yeah, to the determent of both the kid and yourself. I just don't think it is very responsible. Certainly not fair to the child, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting