Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 11:29 AM

91 posts, read 119,175 times

Advertisements

My husband seems to be making an issue out of everything these days. My niece (my deceased sister's daughter) lives with my parents, her grandparents. They gave her their old car to drive about a year ago cause they both got new cars. It's a 2003 Kia Optima. Not in the best of shape but it runs. Well, now that she's away at college they are letting my youngest son drive it to get back and forth to school and work. He's 19 years old. About a month ago he noticed that the windshield had a pretty sizeable spiderweb crack on it and asked what happened. He, my son said that he and his older brother were arguing and that he threw his cell phone at it and cracked it. He said that since it's not his car to damage they both needed to replace the windshield. Well, that hasn't happened.

Ok, yesterday I told my husband that my son (from my first marriage) had been driving around using his high beam headlights because both the low beams had blown out. In our state that's illegal to do so. My husband spoke with my son and asked why he hadn't gotten them replaced yet and he said that he didn't feel like spending his money since the high beams worked. My husband said that he could get a ticket and then my son said that he had already been stopped by the police for it. My husband was furious because he feels that since the car is technically not my son's he's not taking any responsibility for it. He thinks all he has to do is drive it. He has to keep reminding him to change the oil and other regular maintenance on it.

I just told my husband that in speaking with my mom she said that when they gave the car to him one of the headlights was out and she thought you have to buy an entirely new headlight housing so she never mentioned it to my dad. My husband looked it up and 2 bulbs would run about $30 at Auto Zone but my son said he didn't want to spend his money so he'd rather drive around with his high beams on which again, is illegal not to mention very distracting to oncoming traffic.

My husband feels that we should take the car from him for a while since he's not taking full responsibility for it. He said that headlights blow of cars and it's either the car owner or the driver who needs to take responsibility to fix it. I don't think we need to take it from him caus then he won't be able to get to school or work. Or course my husband said "public transportation runs everyday."

Why isn't my husband just letting this go and moving on to something more important? I told him I'd make my son fix the headlights but my husband feels that I'm going to give him the money to fix it even though he has a job.

Yes, this is the same kid who announced over Thanksgiving dinner that he and his 20 year old girlfriend were expecting and that they planned it cause they feel they are ready for a baby. He's taking graphic design classes now and wants to start his own business but my husband feels that starting a business and having a baby isn't something you do simply because you've taken a few graphic design classes. My husband says that "you're living at home with us, driving someone else's car and working a seasonal job that will be over in a month or so. What makes you think you're ready for a baby?" I personally think that my husband is a little too hard on him. He needs to learn and make his own mistakes. My husband says that a baby isn't a trial and error thing. You can't just go buy another one if this one breaks or dies. He can be a little dramatic. Why won't he let this car thing go?

Old 12-07-2015, 11:34 AM

565 posts, read 432,702 times
Who knows. But he is correct that lights should be fixed, driving around with your brights on is irresponsible and dangerous. He is also correct, that the person who is using the vehicle should take care of it. Maybe he wont let it go, because he is actually right. However, it seems that maybe this isn't really about the headlights...

Old 12-07-2015, 11:35 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,920,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowed08 View Post
My husband seems to be making an issue out of everything these days. My niece (my deceased sister's daughter) lives with my parents, her grandparents. They gave her their old car to drive about a year ago cause they both got new cars. It's a 2003 Kia Optima. Not in the best of shape but it runs. Well, now that she's away at college they are letting my youngest son drive it to get back and forth to school and work. He's 19 years old. About a month ago he noticed that the windshield had a pretty sizeable spiderweb crack on it and asked what happened. He, my son said that he and his older brother were arguing and that he threw his cell phone at it and cracked it. He said that since it's not his car to damage they both needed to replace the windshield. Well, that hasn't happened.

Ok, yesterday I told my husband that my son (from my first marriage) had been driving around using his high beam headlights because both the low beams had blown out. In our state that's illegal to do so. My husband spoke with my son and asked why he hadn't gotten them replaced yet and he said that he didn't feel like spending his money since the high beams worked. My husband said that he could get a ticket and then my son said that he had already been stopped by the police for it. My husband was furious because he feels that since the car is technically not my son's he's not taking any responsibility for it. He thinks all he has to do is drive it. He has to keep reminding him to change the oil and other regular maintenance on it.

I just told my husband that in speaking with my mom she said that when they gave the car to him one of the headlights was out and she thought you have to buy an entirely new headlight housing so she never mentioned it to my dad. My husband looked it up and 2 bulbs would run about $30 at Auto Zone but my son said he didn't want to spend his money so he'd rather drive around with his high beams on which again, is illegal not to mention very distracting to oncoming traffic.

My husband feels that we should take the car from him for a while since he's not taking full responsibility for it. He said that headlights blow of cars and it's either the car owner or the driver who needs to take responsibility to fix it. I don't think we need to take it from him caus then he won't be able to get to school or work. Or course my husband said "public transportation runs everyday."

Why isn't my husband just letting this go and moving on to something more important? I told him I'd make my son fix the headlights but my husband feels that I'm going to give him the money to fix it even though he has a job.

Yes, this is the same kid who announced over Thanksgiving dinner that he and his 20 year old girlfriend were expecting and that they planned it cause they feel they are ready for a baby. He's taking graphic design classes now and wants to start his own business but my husband feels that starting a business and having a baby isn't something you do simply because you've taken a few graphic design classes. My husband says that "you're living at home with us, driving someone else's car and working a seasonal job that will be over in a month or so. What makes you think you're ready for a baby?" I personally think that my husband is a little too hard on him. He needs to learn and make his own mistakes. My husband says that a baby isn't a trial and error thing. You can't just go buy another one if this one breaks or dies. He can be a little dramatic. Why won't he let this car thing go?
Because he's right.

GET YOUR SON TO FIX THE CAR.

Old 12-07-2015, 11:36 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,202,903 times
I think your husband has this right.

It's about RESPONSIBILITY. If he "doesn't want to spend his money to fix the car", what's he going to do when the baby needs diapers?

Your son needs to learn to be an adult if he wants to have adult things and lead an adult life.

Old 12-07-2015, 11:38 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,010,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question2015 View Post
Maybe he wont let it go, because he is actually right. However, it seems that maybe this isn't really about the headlights...
Exactly.

OP, with all you have said about him in recent months, do you honestly think that this is just a "headlight" situation?

Yup, sometimes a headlight is just a headlight-- except when it's not.

Old 12-07-2015, 11:39 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,387,833 times
I can't disagree with your husband. It appears to me that he's trying to get your son to take responsibility for replacing the headlights - which he should.

And if he's too lazy or can't afford $30 to replace the headlight bulbs, he's certainly not ready for the responsibility of a child.

Old 12-07-2015, 11:49 AM

19,697 posts, read 20,232,643 times
Your husband is right. You should be thankful to have at least one intelligent person in your family.

Old 12-07-2015, 11:51 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,124,133 times
I'm with the husband.
Your son has not shown the ability to recognize and taken any responsibilities for the broken windshield and headlights and has shown poor judgement in impregnating a girl without the ability to provide for them.
How can he learn anything when you are overlooking all his mistakes and with him avoiding all consequences?
He's 19 and doesn't know any better ... who's going to show him?

Old 12-07-2015, 11:53 AM

8,781 posts, read 9,449,410 times
he told you why.

He wants the son to take responsibility for himself and not allow others to do things for him.

Old 12-07-2015, 11:53 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,226,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowed08 View Post

Congratulations, you have raised a very irresponsible non adult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting