Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 01:17 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
No matter what they put on their list, they're just ideas, not an order form.
This.

I like the idea of trying to equalize things a bit by packing multiple items in one box for your son, but I wouldn't worry about them having an exactly even number of packages to open. If it's 6 or 7 and 4, that's fine, and different than it being 20 and 4. But I would try to keep them pretty comparable in terms of what you spend, and if your son's list doesn't add up to what you plan to spend, then add additional items that you think he would like even if not on the list.

My son is terrible at giving specifics, so almost everything I buy him are things I pick out and it works out fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 01:21 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,250,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
All very good ideas. The kids know that a wish list is a *wish* list. We have been over that a lot. But with my son, he is asking for specific books he wants to read and, for the most part, am happy to go with his take on that. I don't really like it when people buy books for me, its just such a personal taste thing. And the couple lego kits he wants...He has alot of lego kits from over the years. If I don't follow his direction, I might get him a duplicate. I'll likely get him a couple things off list too.

Why I wanted to do the top of my daughters wish list is they are things she has wanted for a while and I think she will play with them. The rest are things she saw on TV lol.

I don't feel like it has to be completely equal, but I don't want a huge difference in them. We take turns opening presents so it isn't a free for all. We don't go in order. But...I could see alot of jealousy coming up if its always brother's turn. Would it be a life lesson? Sure. But I would rather teach life lessons when it also doesn't cause a childhood scar.

I love the idea of getting her crafting stuff! I think thats the perfect fix. Its stuff she will use, doesn't cost much and isnt junk to add to the toy pile for for the sake of adding toys. I think its the perfect fix.

And I also think the idea of wrapping some of the books together is a good one too.
Do you do 'family' presents? When I was a kid, whoever finished opening presents first would start opening the family presents on their turn (we always went round one by one, read the clue on the gift tag and try to guess what it is, then everyone else guesses, then open, so opening the family presents gave the one that had less something to do on their turn. Or then they just got to be in charge of getting refreshments for everyone as present opening took forever.

Old 12-10-2015, 01:25 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Do you do 'family' presents? When I was a kid, whoever finished opening presents first would start opening the family presents on their turn (we always went round one by one, read the clue on the gift tag and try to guess what it is, then everyone else guesses, then open, so opening the family presents gave the one that had less something to do on their turn. Or then they just got to be in charge of getting refreshments for everyone as present opening took forever.

Sounds like a fun tradition! Never did a family gift. Some gifts are for both kids. The kids are pretty comfortable with watching and handing out the gifts if theirs are gone first. Funny enough, I am usually the last one to open my gifts because they are usually small boxes and when passing out gifts, the kids grab the bigger boxes first. Last year I had like 4 gifts to open when everyone else was done. They didnt seem to mind at all.

Old 12-10-2015, 01:34 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,250,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Sounds like a fun tradition! Never did a family gift. Some gifts are for both kids. The kids are pretty comfortable with watching and handing out the gifts if theirs are gone first. Funny enough, I am usually the last one to open my gifts because they are usually small boxes and when passing out gifts, the kids grab the bigger boxes first. Last year I had like 4 gifts to open when everyone else was done. They didnt seem to mind at all.
If they don't seem to mind then maybe you're over-thinking it. Just add a few extra little things to your daughter's pile or package your son's pile so its less presents and don't worry if its not even And it is a fun tradition, loved trying to guess from the clues and then us kids would always shout out "Its a Brussel sprout!!"

Old 12-10-2015, 01:56 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,735,287 times
Am I out of line to think $250 for Christmas gifts is way over the top?

$50 max for each kid and even that is too much.

Old 12-10-2015, 02:11 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,301,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I would get your daughters top three or four requests and then do a numbers game with smaller gifts like hair bows and barrettes, bubble bath, fun socks, clothes, fancy pens, papers, anything blingy or other traditional girly wants. Girls tend to have more things than boys anyway. I would just use this as an opportunity to buy things you would buy her anyway.

You can also bundle a couple of your son's presents together so it doesn't look like he is getting as many.
This is sort of what I've done with my 2 daughters, who are close in age. One likes lots of little things, and never asks for anything expensive. The other has the most expensive taste of any child I've ever seen. (she doesn't try...it's just her) I could never buy everything on her "wish" list, so I pick the top ones I can afford, then do a lot of smaller, less expensive things. And I've bundled her sister's presents into one "package" too. They are soooo hung up on fairness & equality, when it comes to number of gifts! They don't really think about the $ value so much. When they are older, they will understand. but for now, that's how I handle it.

Oh, and both my girls LOVE their stockings! They both say it's their favorite part of Christmas. They may forget the gifts they get from year to year, but somehow they always remember what was in their stockings!

Old 12-10-2015, 02:13 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post

This depends on the family. Each family has its own set of resources.

Old 12-10-2015, 02:40 PM

649 posts, read 570,417 times
Quote:

There's a whole other thread about this topic. If you feel $50 is to much I wonder what exactly you think is just right.

Old 12-10-2015, 02:56 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
Quote:

See other thread about what people spend on Christmas. It's really up to the family what they wish to spend and how they celebrate.

Old 12-10-2015, 03:04 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,961,604 times
Quote:

How old are your kids? When my kids were little $50 would be a good amount per kid. Now that the kids are 6 & 7 (almost 8) that doesn't work. My son wanted a set of Keva - Contraptions. The 200 piece set is $44 while the 50 piece is $24 it made more sense to purchase the bigger set.

OP - I always make sure that I spend around the same amount of money and have the exact same number of presents under the tree. This year I have to get creative in how I wrap things. I bought my son some laser tag guns and the description said pack of 4 but they each came in their own box.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting