Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 08:20 PM

5,457 posts, read 3,334,218 times

Advertisements

Someone pointed out to me that I need to read the post properly. Well, if the man lives with her for a certain period of time he is the husband (common-law).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2015, 07:03 PM

19,480 posts, read 24,963,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Someone pointed out to me that I need to read the post properly. Well, if the man lives with her for a certain period of time he is the husband (common-law).

Only ten (out of fifty) US states recognize common law marriages, and even in those states they have very strict rules as to what is and what is not considered a legal "marriage" (sometimes it is a certain number of years, like ten or twenty years, other states require legal documents filed with the court house, etc).

Just because two people are "shacking up" together that does not mean that they are "husband and wife".

Old 12-29-2015, 07:25 AM

61 posts, read 58,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
OP---is just trying to keep her boyfriend, figures the van is a worthwhile tradeoff

No the van was not a worthwhile tradeoff to keep him. It was to get his son to stopped take advantage of my kindness. He tried to take over everything that I work hard to get (nice home and nice car). His dad was being a mature adult and helping paying bills. I believe that a person need to work hard to achieve the stuffs they want instead of trying to take it from someone.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudwalker View Post
Is/was your house also the family home?
No it is not the family home. It is the home that I am renting in my name along with my boyfriend's name.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserName14289 View Post
Agreed. Sadly, some people aren't mature enough to be step-parents. Maybe that's why she's a girlfriend and not a wife.
I am mature enough to be a step-parent. I am not going to be an ATM bank or be taken advantage of if his son keep screwing up. I have my own bills to worry about. I would look foolish if I give up my hardworking money to a 29 year old man-child who can't pay rent or bills.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Surely you mean "trailer."

This whole family is without class, intelligence or morals.
I don't not live in a trailer. I was raised better than that from my mom to live like that. I live in a nice home. I have better class and moral than his son. I would help out with rent and buy foods if I was staying in another person's house. I wouldn't mooched and left a nasty mess without cleaning up.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Using Christmas as a way to get back at him is just wrong on so many fronts. No need to widen the rift and create more resentment. You don't have to buy a lavish gift. A gift card and a Xmas card is fine. You do it mainly because you love your husband and it's for his son, a part of him.
I didn't give him a gift card or xmas card. I have no resentment toward him. I believe that bad karma will get back to him without any revenge from me. I just feel that my boundaries had been disrespected and feel that he took advantage of my kindness. Sometimes we have enough and need to protect our right. Distance and not going around him did put the weight off my shoulder. I am at peace knowing that I can't keep helping someone out who is not respectful toward me. I will be more tough and wiser for 2016.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting