Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 01:49 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Your son is 10? I thought he was in high school. I'd be much more concerned about a ten year old than I would a teen.
Her son is not 10, he's in high school.

Add my name to the column "extreme overreaction". I'm surprised the poster committed to a non-school sanctioned trip without fully vetting it, based on the concern over who will now chaperone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 02:12 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,002,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Yeah, I'm surprised that any teachers actually friend their students! If I were a teacher, my page would be locked down and I'd use a different name. Eeks.
I friend my students and my coworkers (that is, I accept friend requests from them), but I also post almost nothing at all to my page. At least, nothing that I would not feel totally comfortable announcing in class and to my coworkers, and even then just the absolute minimum.

And I agree that OP is over-reacting. Plus really selfish to be thinking only of her trip. I'm sure there are lots of qualified and trustworthy teachers who would like a free trip and they will have no problem finding a substitute.

Old 12-22-2015, 02:18 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
Specifically, my concern is that if they cannot find a chaperone, I will be out of pocket $2k. I would go, but I'm having surgery in April. My husband will not be able to take the time off work, as he won't have a year at his current job until late July.
If the trip is canceled and she won't give the money back. Small claims court should be in your future.

Old 12-22-2015, 02:26 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,250,361 times
Whoa overreaction!! Everyone else has explained very well how much you are overreacting so I won't bother, just add me to the list of people thinking you need to relax, and wait, and I'm sure you will find out in good time who the new chaperones will be.

Old 12-22-2015, 02:32 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Her concern is NOT unwarranted.

This is NOT a school trip. "Other chaperones" won't be "stepping up" in line for a free trip. This was totally organized by the couple who now will have a newborn.

With a trip of this magnitude, the chaperones are EVERYTHING. If there aren't other qualified adults in place by mid-January, I would be prepping my kid to not go.

Old 12-22-2015, 02:45 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post

This is NOT a school trip. "Other chaperones" won't be "stepping up" in line for a free trip. This was totally organized by the couple who now will have a newborn.

With a trip of this magnitude, the chaperones are EVERYTHING. If there aren't other qualified adults in place by mid-January, I would be prepping my kid to not go.
Yes, her concern is warranted, but the time for vetting the contingency plans should have been before signing up for a non-school sponsored trip.

Old 12-22-2015, 02:46 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post

I don't think her concerns are unwarranted. I think turning concern into anger and directing it at the pregnant woman is wrong. Didn't op say this teacher has older kids/ teens? Her life has just been turned upside down. The op needs to get a grip and give her a few more weeks to announce a replacement.

Old 12-22-2015, 02:48 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Yes, her concern is warranted, but the time for vetting the contingency plans should have been before signing up for a non-school sponsored trip.
Sure, although I don't recall "pregnancy" being one of the contingencies on any permission slip I've ever signed.

Count me as one who believes teachers shouldn't friend students or parents on social media anyway. FB adds another layer of drama to any situation.

Old 12-22-2015, 03:06 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,728,534 times
I think wanting to know who is going is warranted.

Freaking out over not knowing who the chaperone will be six months in advance of a trip for a teenager is over the top. Thinking that the teacher should have called the minute she found out she was pregnant or being angry that this trip was not the teacher' first priority for the next six months of her life is just silly.

Old 12-22-2015, 04:02 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
There is a meeting coming up soon for the parents and the students going on the trip. That will be the proper time for the introduction of different adults as chaperons, and to discuss the changes with the group. At least this is how I have seen things done over the past 70 years, since I went on my first trip of a similar nature, and as our kids grew up. That meeting is the ideal place for everyone to get to know the new chaperons, and approve them.

Expecting them to just throw out a name of who are possible chaperons at this time, is expecting too much. It will take time to discuss this job with some people to even find the ones that will actually make the trip.

Very often women that have older children, are not expecting to end up pregnant, and signs of pregnancy are overlooked for a short time. She probably just learned for sure and had a doctor verify it, and has due to rumors made the announcement to family and friends she is close to over her face book page, which is very common today. He next job is to even find the replacement chaperons.

OP slow down and quit going into panic mode. Give them times to put together the best chaperons they can, and to introduce them at the next meeting. You are trying to make them rush into giving you answers they have not had time to even make decisions on and make known what is going on.

If they are good enough to trust your child to going on this trip, you should assume they will be just as careful about picking other chaperons as you would be. Give them time to put the changes into place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting