Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 06:40 PM

404 posts, read 366,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bela View Post
Funny, but everytime I look up, Im seeing humans who have an instinct to take the children of strangers, molest them, and leave them dismembered, or wrapped with electric tape, or buried in the back yard. sometimes stuffed into a suitcase. Perhaps you have heard of them? The courts call them sexual offenders and our neighborhoods are teeming with them.

So before some knucklehead brings up the point of "Paranoia" because knuckleheads do that, no one has a right to touch another's child without permission, nor does anyone have the right to attempt to shame someone in to allowing it.

I cant imagine the guilt one would feel if they ignored that little voice warning them prior to a child being harmed.
Wow really? You are very much jaded, that is NOT what I think about..at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2015, 06:44 PM

404 posts, read 366,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I would actually like to see how people who are so "don't you dare touch my children" would actually react if they lived in a community where it is common to happen. Or even if it happened where they are. Because it isn't remotely done with malice. Its done with a great big smile and a lot of love and affection. Would you really start yelling at the person? Get away from my child? I doubt it. I think it sounds strange, but when you are living in a community where that happens, it really isn't all that strange. Or if you have a child who attracts a lot of admirers. When its actually happening, its non-threatening. They aren't touching mouths or noses. They aren't coming off as aggressive or hostile. Its a very warm smile and a light little touch. And you can tell right away that it is coming from a place of love. Do you really yell at them or...fling your body between your child and the stranger? Id be surprised if even 1/4 of the "don't touch my child" group would actually follow through in the *actual* situation that we are discussing. Even the OP didn't do anything besides ask his wife and post about it.
You are so right, they are nothing but keyboard commandos that come on here to complain, but in front of your face, they are like lambs lol.

Quote:
This reminds me a lot of those people who end up saying things like... "we didnt know he was liked that", or "they seemed like such kind people", or "that kind of thing only happens on tv or the big city", or "he seemed so non threatening". "our town is the kind of place where nobody locks their doors". etc etc ... usually being interviewed with alot of yellow tape in the background.

To the OP, protecting your child is not a consensus issue, and no one here has any skin in the game of defending your child. no one here is sharing your risk. All the talk of culture germs and feelings is B.S.

If you respond lower than your instinctive risk assessment, then you did not do your job in protecting your child. If your spider senses tell you to intervene, then do so.
Again, this is a cultural thing. The MOTHER had no issue with it, so therefore the dad shouldn't, if he doesn't that maybe he needs to find someone that shares his reflected values. Since he is married to a latina, it is HIS JOB to learn her culture, not the other way around. If you want someone "exotic" and "foreign" as I heard Latinas being referred to time and time again, then expect to put in some work for it.

Old 12-25-2015, 06:48 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,187,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcatheart View Post
Thank you. Just sounds like I'm being to anal and protective from these responses. That's what I wanted to know. Thank you all.
I would have been freaked out as well . . . not necessarily due to germs, but because some stranger was touching my child. But, after the explanation, would have been more at ease.

Old 12-25-2015, 07:00 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,876,043 times
Quote:
This reminds me a lot of those people who end up saying things like... "we didnt know he was liked that", or "they seemed like such kind people", or "that kind of thing only happens on tv or the big city", or "he seemed so non threatening". "our town is the kind of place where nobody locks their doors". etc etc ... usually being interviewed with alot of yellow tape in the background.

To the OP, protecting your child is not a consensus issue, and no one here has any skin in the game of defending your child. no one here is sharing your risk. All the talk of culture germs and feelings is B.S.

If you respond lower than your instinctive risk assessment, then you did not do your job in protecting your child. If your spider senses tell you to intervene, then do so.
you have to be kidding me! I actually LOLed

Old 12-25-2015, 07:28 PM

70 posts, read 76,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
you have to be kidding me! I actually LOLed
something we do have in common.
Neither of us have the slightest idea of what you are talking about, but to be clear, I am saying that it is up to him how he responds. If something bothers him enough he should not second guess himself. real simple.

Last edited by bela; 12-25-2015 at 07:41 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-25-2015, 07:44 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,876,043 times
Quote:
something we do have in common.
Neither of us have the slightest idea of what you are talking about, but to be clear, I am saying that it is up to him how he responds. If something bothers him enough he should not second guess himself. real simple.
You actually equated a hispanic woman smiling and touching a child's head with murder, child molestation, etc. maybe the most paranoid ridiculous thing I have read here lately.

Old 12-25-2015, 07:56 PM

Ahhhh that word Paranoid! I guessed you would be the one to use it. LOL! and no I did not. in fact, I made no mention of a Hispanic woman, quite the contrary, I stayed away from that issue as I dont believe as you do, that culture or ethnicity matter, I was saying in GENERAL, each parent has to do what gives him peace of mind in protecting their child.
The OP seems to have taken your side, and that's fine as he feels comfortable there.... but IN GENERAL, its best to default to the best interest of your child, if the incident bothers you enough.

If you are saying that a stranger's feelings trump shielding your child from perceived harm, than that is the most ridiculous thing I have heard in.... forever.

Old 12-25-2015, 11:36 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,007,691 times
Quote:
Funny, but everytime I look up, Im seeing humans who have an instinct to take the children of strangers, molest them, and leave them dismembered, or wrapped with electric tape, or buried in the back yard. sometimes stuffed into a suitcase. Perhaps you have heard of them? The courts call them sexual offenders and our neighborhoods are teeming with them.
Sounds like its time for you to move out of that neighborhood.

Old 12-26-2015, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Sounds like its time for you to move out of that neighborhood.
You would probably be dismayed if you looked at the density graphs, or monitored reports of movements of high risk criminals. Its not a neighborhood thing, they are everywhere including where you live. and those are just the identified ones.
Anyway, it is not to say, to freak out at anyone who looks at you sideways, but to be aware that not everyone is what you might consider "normal".

Last edited by bela; 12-26-2015 at 07:56 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-26-2015, 07:10 AM

8,048 posts, read 12,758,913 times
Maybe it was something as innocent as not having a tissue handy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting