Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 09:22 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasolin View Post
Well if he googled it, then the first link to show up should be "How to break it to your kids that Santa Claus isn't real" so...
But I agree that it shouldn't impact the dinner plans, at least not this year.
Here's the first hit using the words "is santa real":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aGEHYeSaMk
#2: Is Santa real? The science behind how Father Christmas could deliver presents around the world in one day - Mirror Online
See first sentence

Here's an interesting one, that ties in to what we've all been discussing:
Is Santa Real? - How to Answer When Your Child Asks
"When she asks, "Is Santa real?" you could explain that Saint Nicholas was, in fact, a real person from long ago. He was known for leaving presents for the children in his village, and for caring for the poor and unfortunate. The legend grew over time, becoming the story we all know."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2015, 11:56 AM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
LOL. His parents arent being honest with him ,and telling him the truth. They expect you to ALSO not tell him.

give him the same respect-don't tell the parents. he will lie, and be all excited just to make them happy about lying to him and acting excited.

Its the ultimate irony, dont ruin it for the kid. Let him pull one over on them.

Old 12-24-2015, 02:31 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,928,039 times
I grew up in a typical Christian home , and I never had believed in santa and no one made a big deal of it either, .
Those that cared, made big issues out of it, were atheists and christian cults (off shoots). "ego inflation of importance"
No body in our circle of friends and acquaintances really cared, though some of us played the part from time to time, simply for fun.
I see Christmas as an opportunity to give and help people in need, that normally would look at gift gestures as something manipulative.
I realize how repulsive it is to an atheist to love your brother , but as christians we look forward to the opportunity.
no strings.

Old 12-24-2015, 02:36 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,251,584 times
Had Christmas at the inlaws today and when Santa turned up to hand out the presents the 7 year old whispered to me that she knows its 'uncle matti' in that suit. Didn't know whether to confirm her suspicions or deny them!

Old 12-24-2015, 02:59 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
I grew up in a typical Christian home , and I never had believed in santa and no one made a big deal of it either, .
Those that cared, made big issues out of it, were atheists and christian cults (off shoots). "ego inflation of importance"
No body in our circle of friends and acquaintances really cared, though some of us played the part from time to time, simply for fun.
I see Christmas as an opportunity to give and help people in need, that normally would look at gift gestures as something manipulative.
I realize how repulsive it is to an atheist to love your brother , but as christians we look forward to the opportunity.
no strings.
I know far more atheists and agnostics who embody the spirit of Christianity than those who attend church. So, you know, FAIL.

I don't remember when my kids stopped believing, but I recently found a letter to Santa written by the youngest, and judging by his excellent spelling and grammar, he was either around 10, or made an extra effort to impress those he knew were really going to read it.

I would probably tip off the parents, but see no harm either way.

Old 12-24-2015, 03:05 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
9 years old? That's pretty old...if he's questioning then it's a natural thing...but, since he IS googling it means he's still on the fence and WANTS to believe so no reason to pull the plug. But this WILL be the last year for him.

Old 12-24-2015, 04:31 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Had Christmas at the inlaws today and when Santa turned up to hand out the presents the 7 year old whispered to me that she knows its 'uncle matti' in that suit. Didn't know whether to confirm her suspicions or deny them!
You could try something vague like "Oh?" A friend told me she read that when a child asks "Is Santa real?" to reply "What do you think?" I did that with my oldest DD and she said "I think he is". That was the last year though, and she was 8.

Old 12-24-2015, 09:07 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times
My brother dressed up as Santa for his not-quite-three-year-old daughter. He left his home through a basement exit and dressed at a neighbor's house. His costume was beautiful and he used his Northwestern U. thespian training to deepen his voice. Then he arrived at the front door to greet the family and really put on a good Santa show. First his daughter was quite reluctant to go near him so several of the guests, yours truly included, sat with him and told him our Christmas dreams and asked him questions about the North Pole. Finally, his daughter ventured over and sat in his lap, talking to him about what she wanted for Christmas and answering his questions about how good she had been all year. When he took his leave she followed him to the front door and as he walked down the sidewalk she called in her tiny voice, "Bye-bye Daddy-Santa." So even at that young age she wasn't fooled.

Old 12-24-2015, 10:59 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,636,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
I caught my 9 year old cousin googling "Is Santa Real" on his ipad. Everyone thinks he really believes and my brother in law is going to dress up as Santa at the Christmas Eve dinner for the kids tomorrow night. Should I tell my aunt and uncle?
Sure why not tell them? You can still go through the motions of it all and be prepared to answer questions if they arise.

Generally kids will learn from other kids at school or older siblings about the Santa not being real.

Old 12-25-2015, 12:40 AM

442 posts, read 1,579,154 times
Why do people even tell their kids about Santa, anyway? It's SO strange to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting