Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 07:53 AM

384 posts, read 434,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Holy crispy crap are you out of touch with reality. And bitter, to boot. Who you know does not matter most. I am a highly successful software professional. Not one of my positions were achieved by nepotism but by cold interviewing and the ability to demonstrate excellence. Which I achieved by busting ass.

Because you think "today's teens" are a mess does not mean you have to raise messed kids. It sounds like you want to raise kids to conform to this lazy standard you abhor. Kid's today! When I was a boy, we walked to school... UPHILL BOTH WAYS!
Networking is crucial to good career developing. Your presentation and people skills surely helped you acquired those great jobs.
You only walked both ways?
In my time, I walked shoeless in the snow for 10 miles each way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 08:47 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,608,720 times
I am very sad for any offspring this OP has unleashed on the world.
Talk about Debbie Downer, what an attitude !
Those kids don't have a chance. And what an ugly rant.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:53 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,180,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by limaman View Post
Networking is crucial to good career developing. Your presentation and people skills surely helped you acquired those great jobs.
You only walked both ways?
In my time, I walked shoeless in the snow for 10 miles each way!
What does "networking" have to do with "people skills"? Knowing people and knowing how to speak are not the same. I was referring to the former.

Old 01-04-2016, 09:06 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,607,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
I am very sad for any offspring this OP has unleashed on the world.
Talk about Debbie Downer, what an attitude !
Those kids don't have a chance. And what an ugly rant.
Truth hurts! I know....
Don't feel bad for my kids, they're not gonna be wondering around buried in debt from getting the wrong degree like most ppl do these days.

Old 01-04-2016, 10:16 AM

Case in point:
//www.city-data.com/forum/work-...traveling.html

Old 01-04-2016, 10:40 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,876,043 times
I remember when I was little I said I wanted to be a ballerina. My dad told me that was stupid, hardly anyone "makes it" and they don't make a lot of money. When I was a few years older I said I wanted to be a vet, he told me that was stupid, it would take for ever to get the degree, Id have to be the top of my class. So a few years later I said I wanted to be in advertising and make funny commercials. He told me that was evil ...blah blah blah.

So I stopped dreaming, or thinking about my future. It took a long time for me to be able to do it. My friends got to dream and think about what they wanted to be when they grew up. Not me. I couldn't answer that question until I was actually in college.

When I was and adult studying in the medical field I went to visit my dad. He actually apologized for having done that to me over the years, that he should have just let me be a kid and dream. Not 30 minutes later he unleashed on me about my chosen career path, blah blah blah big business, blah blah blah big phrama, blah blah blah.

I have a feeling the OP and my dad might get along.

Old 01-04-2016, 10:42 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,180,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I remember when I was little I said I wanted to be a ballerina. My dad told me that was stupid, hardly anyone "makes it" and they don't make a lot of money. When I was a few years older I said I wanted to be a vet, he told me that was stupid, it would take for ever to get the degree, Id have to be the top of my class. So a few years later I said I wanted to be in advertising and make funny commercials. He told me that was evil ...blah blah blah.

So I stopped dreaming, or thinking about my future. It took a long time for me to be able to do it. My friends got to dream and think about what they wanted to be when they grew up. Not me. I couldn't answer that question until I was actually in college.
Wait. I was supposed to give a definitive answer to that question at some point? I am digging what I am doing. But I don't see why I have to have one thing to "be when I grow up". The only thing I need to be when I grow up is my best self.

Old 01-04-2016, 11:28 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Good for you! You told it to him straight that he would need better grades - that's being realistic. So much better than "Of course you can do it - you can do ANYTHING!" (with the subtext possibly, "you don't need to do anything special to get in").
A lot of this stuff is age dependent. You don't tell that to a first grader, who really doesn't have any idea about what college and grades are. That poster's kid is in late elementary school, old enough to understand the concepts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
Frankly, I don't really care how you raise your children. Tell them there are things they should not even attempt to do, because they aren't as capable as some one else. Lay his life out for him, and give him/her a list of sure fire Failures. I am surprised your parents did not tell you not to try to be a Parent, seeing what your methods of Patenting are. You people kill me. Some folks should not be allowed to have Kids.

I didn't say you could do anything if you try hard enough. I said you can do anything if you want to "Bad" enough. Then you try, with that as a driver and motivator. You evidently slept through most of your life, since there are Millions of examples where Kids have achieved their Dreams , in spite of the word "You Can't" coming from folks like yourself. Who are you to predict what another can do in life? What gift do you possess that allows you to set limitations on ones capability of achievement?

You need to get real. Your not doing your job as a Parent if your trying to predict a Childs future, and teaching them that they will failures in what they dream of being, so they may as well kill themselves at 16. Kids find out what they want to do, and what they no longer want to do, as they grow up, on their own, and get to know themselves better.

Unless the have been indoctrinated with Failure propaganda and don't even consider their Dreams.
Even that is not entirely true, but I wouldn't whack a kid over the head with it at a young age. It's tough to get into med school, harder than it is to get out! The dropout rate is very low, and I've never even heard of anyone flunking out. Many will be called, but few will be chosen. But let the kid dream his/her dream. High school and college will add some perspective. By college, it will be the student's choice, to apply or not, and the med school's choice, to accept or not.

Old 01-04-2016, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
Frankly, I don't really care how you raise your children. Tell them there are things they should not even attempt to do, because they aren't as capable as some one else. Lay his life out for him, and give him/her a list of sure fire Failures. I am surprised your parents did not tell you not to try to be a Parent, seeing what your methods of Patenting are. You people kill me. Some folks should not be allowed to have Kids.

I didn't say you could do anything if you try hard enough. I said you can do anything if you want to "Bad" enough. Then you try, with that as a driver and motivator. You evidently slept through most of your life, since there are Millions of examples where Kids have achieved their Dreams , in spite of the word "You Can't" coming from folks like yourself. Who are you to predict what another can do in life? What gift do you possess that allows you to set limitations on ones capability of achievement?

You need to get real. Your not doing your job as a Parent if your trying to predict a Childs future, and teaching them that they will failures in what they dream of being, so they may as well kill themselves at 16. Kids find out what they want to do, and what they no longer want to do, as they grow up, on their own, and get to know themselves better.

Unless the have been indoctrinated with Failure propaganda and don't even consider their Dreams.
LOL!

So if I told you I "badly" want to pay my mortgage out of my photography services, (because that's where my skills/talent & education is), does that mean you'll finally understand the importance of a good photo and pay me???? Pffff OK! I'll go to my next client and tell them that I really badly want to photograph their property and see what they say! (Or watch them laugh in my face while they show me their camera is more expensive than mine!)

Wanting something "bad enough" & having the available/disposable income to advertise it are two very different things. You forget that nothing is free.

Old 01-04-2016, 01:17 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post

Wanting something "bad enough" & having the available/disposable income to advertise it are two very different things. You forget that nothing is free.

If you were a good enough photographer, you'd get business by word-of-mouth, and wouldn't need to advertise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting