Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 08:00 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,848,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserName14289 View Post
This is very true. I get a cold *every* time I fly (and have one now thanks to our flights last week). I didn't realize it until the ex pointed it out. He was right.
Thats disturbing. I have gotten stomach bugs several times after flying. But way more often then not, I am fine. I assumed it was just being so close to other people for a long time. Airplanes are gross.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 08:28 PM

7,678 posts, read 5,414,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
People really wait until they are all the way out of toilet paper, food and medicine before getting more?
Not in this house. I was a Girl Scout. Our Motto was "Be Prepared."

Old 01-05-2016, 08:36 PM

318 posts, read 371,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Ok, so I actually just remembered a person who took their kids to places when they were very sick, left them at school puking or with a fever, made them go on trips despite being quite ill. But she was a diagnosed Narcissist/Borderline and was a very terrible parent. She had no empathy what so ever. She was a hideous parent. Maybe this is what the post is about. But they aren't the majority at all. A special kind of minority that also happens to be evil?
Exactly.

If you don't have one of these types in your family you're lucky. if you avoid them as friends you're smart.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:47 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,475,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I know we all have errands to run, places to go, things to do, etc. but giving them meds and taking them out because they feel better still spreads whatever they have all over Target. The guidelines are pretty much the same everywhere - 24 hours fever free, vomit and diarrhea free, or 24 hours on antibiotics.

Traveling is a tough call. Depends on what it is.

Taking your vomiting kid into a coffee place!? No way! Vomit aerosolizes and could infect the whole place and any nearby food. Gross! A manager should have kicked them out.
Exactly! My daughter worked in a day care and many a day a parent brought a child in with this story (which I have heard as a nurse, too): Child was sick during the night with fever, parent gave Tylenol/Advil and child was afebrile in the AM, so parent brought child to day care, where within a few hours, s/he was running a temp again. Meanwhile the whole day care including staff was exposed.

One time, a kid threw up while I was in the exam room with him at the peds office where I worked. Another nurse and I put on gloves to clean it up, yet we both got sick with vomiting within a few hours of each other.

And I will note the OP referred to a kid who had been hospitalized for illness. This wasn't just a little cold, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I will never forget the stink eye I got from the pharmacist when I went in for a script without my kid. She had ASSUMED I left my kid in the car alone instead of with a trusted friend. Sheesh.
Suck to be her.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetLittleWing View Post
Exactly.

If you don't have one of these types in your family you're lucky. if you avoid them as friends you're smart.
If they are in my family, I cut them off 110% I don't have the time or energy for those people

Old 01-05-2016, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Exactly! My daughter worked in a day care and many a day a parent brought a child in with this story (which I have heard as a nurse, too): Child was sick during the night with fever, parent gave Tylenol/Advil and child was afebrile in the AM, so parent brought child to day care, where within a few hours, s/he was running a temp again. Meanwhile the whole day care including staff was exposed.

One time, a kid threw up while I was in the exam room with him at the peds office where I worked. Another nurse and I put on gloves to clean it up, yet we both got sick with vomiting within a few hours of each other.

And I will note the OP referred to a kid who had been hospitalized for illness. This wasn't just a little cold, etc.

Suck to be her.

In the next few HOURS? Must have been a super bug not known to earth before...

Old 01-06-2016, 05:39 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,705,767 times
She said "within a few hours of each other," not "within a few hours."

Old 01-06-2016, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
She said "within a few hours of each other," not "within a few hours."
Now that makes more sense. I wonder how I misread that

Old 01-06-2016, 06:53 AM

4,039 posts, read 4,933,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Some people prefer to support local businesses (and also don't want to deal with massive amounts of extra boxes from shipping). And not every place has a pick up service. I found out we did at a local store but it takes 24 hours from order and they charge a lot more per product. Id use it if a bug was raging through the house. But if I was in a pinch and out of tylenol and my baby had a fever, I'd make a quick run for it. Not everyone has support system of friends or family who will watch your kids if they are sick. Luckily my kids take the pills now, so I buy huge bottles and we never run out. But when they were little, those chewable and liquid ones always seemed to run out so fast.

I'm just wondering if people who think you should keep your child home through ALL symptoms have kids over 4th grade. They will fail school if they get a couple colds in the year from the missed days. Yes fever, diarrhea, vomiting, lice. But if they have a sore throat, sniffles, a cough, but are managing alright, they go to school. Its good training for adulthood where you have to go to work when you are sick. You cover your mouth, watch your hands, toss your tissues, etc. Teachers expect and ask that kids do come under those conditions...they don't outright ask. But they lean on you if your kid has been out for several days. And they are missing important lessons that they will either not learn or have to somehow make up. All my kids teachers have wanted them at school unless the bug is bad.

All these viruses are contagious BEFORE there are symptoms. Keeping your kid home is mostly about their comfort because the great big world is full of illnesses floating around. Thats why hand soap was invented.

What about being sick as an adult? Sick adults make runs to the pharmacy and store all the time. They need medicine, TP, food, drinks.

Anyways, I think the OP was about people who drag miserable kids around for their own fun. I don't know anyone who does that. I think for the most part, I'll let the parents use their own judgement.
We don't have any mom and pop groceries around me so I would rather pay Amazon prices then HT prices. Though if we got a Wegman's I would change my mind. It's not hard breaking down a box every 2 months and putting it in the recycling bin for me but I guess it's different for everyone.

I know. We didn't have any family living near us until my second baby was 4 months old. Even then we didn't call them to help out when the kids were sick (one of the members has a compromised immune system). My in laws moved to our area when the 2nd one was almost 1 (the first was a little over 2)and then we ended up moving 3 months later. So, for most of the time they were little we didn't have family help. I dealt with it for the most part as I was and still am the WAHP.

Adults are usually much different when they are sick and need to run out. They don't usually sneeze all over things like little ones do and they are quick in and out. Adults tend to wash their hands more than a small child would unless you told them to do it.

Old 01-06-2016, 07:00 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,157,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
We don't have any mom and pop groceries around me so I would rather pay Amazon prices then HT prices. Though if we got a Wegman's I would change my mind. It's not hard breaking down a box every 2 months and putting it in the recycling bin for me but I guess it's different for everyone.

I know. We didn't have any family living near us until my second baby was 4 months old. Even then we didn't call them to help out when the kids were sick (one of the members has a compromised immune system). My in laws moved to our area when the 2nd one was almost 1 (the first was a little over 2)and then we ended up moving 3 months later. So, for most of the time they were little we didn't have family help. I dealt with it for the most part as I was and still am the WAHP.

Adults are usually much different when they are sick and need to run out. They don't usually sneeze all over things like little ones do and they are quick in and out. Adults tend to wash their hands more than a small child would unless you told them to do it.
When my first was a tiny baby, he was very prone to ear infections. My DH traveled at that time. There was one week when DH was out of town as were my in laws. DS was in the doc's office every day except the day he was in twice. Ear infection along with some other viral thing, or same viral thing, who knows. Rash. Super high fever. YUCK. I had no food. HE had food. He had me. I vowed that was never ever happening again. Luckily I had a friend from work who could watch DS while I went to the store down the street for some soup and stuff. DS and I holed up after that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting