Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 09:48 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,384,349 times

Advertisements

The father of a Pembroke, Ont., teen is warning parents to keep a close eye on their children's gaming habits after his son racked up nearly $8,000 in Xbox charges.

On Dec. 23, Lance Perkins got a credit card bill for $7,625.88 after his 17-year-old son used his credit card to make in-game purchases for one of the FIFA series of soccer games.

Pembroke parent gets $8K Xbox bill after son racks up charges - Ottawa - CBC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2016, 10:14 AM

912 posts, read 907,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
The father of a Pembroke, Ont., teen is warning parents to keep a close eye on their children's gaming habits after his son racked up nearly $8,000 in Xbox charges.

On Dec. 23, Lance Perkins got a credit card bill for $7,625.88 after his 17-year-old son used his credit card to make in-game purchases for one of the FIFA series of soccer games.

Pembroke parent gets $8K Xbox bill after son racks up charges - Ottawa - CBC News
Looks like someone needs to get a summer job. And someone else needs to check their credit card transactions more regularly. I feel sorry for them. I'm glad they're ditching the xbox.

Old 01-13-2016, 10:19 AM

22,229 posts, read 47,150,952 times
A 17 YEAR OLD surely knew what he was doing....

Old 01-13-2016, 11:53 AM

217 posts, read 244,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
A 17 YEAR OLD surely knew what he was doing....
Actually if you read the article the kid DIDN'T know. He thought there was a one time charge and didnt realize it would keep charging.

It's a little confusing as I have bought upgrades to video games and didn't know there could be a recurring charge. Then again, since the whole Sony hack I only use pre paid cards and never my own debit/credit card. I just can't see the huge bill. Even if he paid to "upgrade" a player it wouldnt cost more than a couple hundred dollars to make the player have a perfect ranking.

Old 01-13-2016, 12:24 PM

22,229 posts, read 47,150,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackRyder View Post
Actually if you read the article the kid DIDN'T know. He thought there was a one time charge and didnt realize it would keep charging.
Actually I did read the article... and I still cannot believe a 17 year old screwed up that badly.
Thinking there is a one-time charge? Didn't realize?
Anytime I spend money like that, it is clear that you are being charged each and every time.

Old 01-13-2016, 12:44 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,014,407 times
I'm not familiar with an xBox but for the phone and computer, I get an email any time something is charged. And the article points out there were settings the parents could have used where they had to approve purchases, and probably there are settings for notifications as well. Plus how much could the kid have been playing to rack up that much in a month?? It had to have been just a month or he would have seen these charges on his credit card before this.

I think that along with whatever else happened, there was some lazy parenting involved as well.

Old 01-13-2016, 01:41 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,207,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackRyder View Post

It's a little confusing as I have bought upgrades to video games and didn't know there could be a recurring charge. Then again, since the whole Sony hack I only use pre paid cards and never my own debit/credit card. I just can't see the huge bill. Even if he paid to "upgrade" a player it wouldnt cost more than a couple hundred dollars to make the player have a perfect ranking.
I still have a hard time believing that.

Old 01-13-2016, 01:49 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,898,346 times
I give my son "One" use only Credit cards for on-line usage.

It has a set limit, once its used up all future transactions get rejected.

Old 01-13-2016, 03:48 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,081,972 times
For $7,600 the kid could probably have traveled to the next World Cup and got a great seat at the final.

As the article stated, there is a way to put parental controls in place for charges. I also know that I get e-mails whenever my kids charge something. I also require them to ask first before I give permission for anything like this, and if they don't ask, they don't get.

Old 01-13-2016, 03:50 PM

899 posts, read 576,673 times
Something similar happened with us and an Ipod game. It was about $500, but Apple was kind enough to reverse the charges. Still we grounded the "convicted".

But in this case, I agree with the summer job sentiment.

cd :O)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting