Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2016, 04:36 PM

1 posts, read 534 times

Advertisements

I'm in Los Angeles and I'm trying to help a good friend.

My friend is struggling after a heart attack and is basically unable to take care of himself, his wife is doing a tremendous job. The problem is that their 13 yr. old son, according to my friend, has begun hitting his mother and lashing out. He says it is a "critical situation" but he absolutely does not want me to involve social services.

I myself have never had children so am unsure what to do and could really use some suggestions.

Thank You.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 04:41 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,886,067 times
The parents need to talk to their child's doctor and get an appropriate referral. They could also call 211 to find out about resources in their community...sounds like their son needs some counseling at the very least.

Old 01-10-2016, 05:04 PM

5,522 posts, read 8,776,763 times
Yes, HHMom's advice is spot on. The kid obviously needs some sort of counseling (maybe the whole family does)and if it can be arranged privately, that's all to the good.

But also tell the friend to call the cops the next time this boy hits or assaults his mother. A parent should NEVER have to live in fear of an assault from a child. Repeat that: NEVER. That is not allowable under ANY circumstances whatsoever.

They may want to avoid being involved with social services or the juvenile justice system. It is no fun for anyone, to say the least. But it is far better to do that now than it is to let the child get away with parental assault and watch his anger management (or whatever the problem is) spiral out of control -- which could lead to very serious consequence inside and outside the family.

Hitting your parent is crossing a huge red line, and the friend's family must acknowledge that for everyone's good.

Last edited by citylove101; 01-10-2016 at 05:18 PM..

Old 01-16-2016, 09:33 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,289,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitfox View Post
I'm in Los Angeles and I'm trying to help a good friend.

My friend is struggling after a heart attack and is basically unable to take care of himself, his wife is doing a tremendous job. The problem is that their 13 yr. old son, according to my friend, has begun hitting his mother and lashing out. He says it is a "critical situation" but he absolutely does not want me to involve social services.

I myself have never had children so am unsure what to do and could really use some suggestions.

Thank You.
Any chance you could spend a few days in the home with them?
Then you'd get some idea of why or what's causing the child to lash out.
I can completely understand why he doesn't want any social services or cops involved.
Above all else...respect your friends wishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting