Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 09:03 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Well EXCUSE me for posting this. Holy smokes! Take it easy there! IS there such a need to get so snarky???

Do people need to thoroughly research something before making a posting with a link? I didn't know I needed to. Is this one of your rules or CD rules?
If said poster is going to state that X is bad for them because they didn't read the entire article or research it?

Yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 10:00 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,174,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
There is a big difference between being LINKED to cancer and CAUSING cancer. There is a list of carginogens. These are chemicals who directly cause cancer. Diets can only be linked to cancer because they maybe causing some sort of metabolic pathway that at some point may or may not increase the risk of developing cancer. Smoking causes cancer because of the known carcinogenic compounds but an unhealthy diets are linked because the "cause" of the cancer is unknowable, despite the fact we can observe a statistical increase.

One is causal, the other is a statistical relationship. Unless we are talking about a known carcinogen and the specific type of cancer it causes we cannot know what caused a cancer.
Of course we cannot know what the specific cause of particular person's cancer was in most cases. However, it may be possible to deduce that information on a population level if we know certain things about a group's behavior. For example, if we know that group A consumes a food that is known to increase colon cancer rates by 18%, we can infer what percentage of those cases are attributable to consuming that food.

I'm well aware than "linked" and causation are not the same thing. They are at different points on the epistemic scale. Many things that are linked to cancer likely do cause cancer, but there just hasn't been a study that has yet been able to isolate enough variable to conclude that.

The recent WHO report on processed meat consumption was a claim about causation. A statement such as "consuming processed meat five times per week (or whatever it was) raises colon cancer risk by 18%" is a statement about causation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
There is an urban legend that cancer "feeds" on sugar. That is untrue. That is what has gotten into general "urban legend" circulation, and people start freaking out about putting a teaspoon of sugar in their tea.

When someone has cancer, it is inappropriate to "blame" them, even for lung cancer. They probably already know that anyway, that their smoking caused it.
You and I don't disagree, then. It is true that many people caused their own cancer, but it would be impolite to tell a specific person such a thing. I'm not sure there's harm in saying such a thing about no one in particular while on the internet, though.

Old 01-21-2016, 02:40 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
However.....after the recent news of human DNA being found in hot dog meat , well, I have had second thoughts about ever eating another ever since.
How in hell did human DNA get into hot dogs? Maybe someone lost a finger into the meat grinder in the hot dog factory? Someone fell in ?
The same way Creuzfeld-Jacoub got into the animal food chain. Somebody needed to dispose of a body, so they fed it into the grinder. The meat gets cooked off the bones and the bones get milled into bone meal fertilizer. Meanwhile, it's hard to convict someone of murder without a body.

I do like chili dogs, but don't eat them often. When I buy hot dogs, I stick to Hebrew National kosher franks, which contain far fewer nightmares.

Old 01-21-2016, 02:59 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,455,013 times
I'm screwed! Too old to get pregnant, but I KNOW I have a brain tumor reading this!!!!!!!

How EVER did I live to this age???!?!?!?!?!?!

Old 01-21-2016, 03:04 AM

Quote:
There is an urban legend that cancer "feeds" on sugar. That is untrue. That is what has gotten into general "urban legend" circulation, and people start freaking out about putting a teaspoon of sugar in their tea.

When someone has cancer, it is inappropriate to "blame" them, even for lung cancer. They probably already know that anyway, that their smoking caused it.
Sugar is generally not necessary for a balanced diet, and can be hard on someone with diabetes or pre-diabetic insulin tolerance. I have replaced all sweetened soft drinks with a pitcher of water with a half a cup of reconstituted lemon juice. It's refreshing and contains nothing but the natural fructose in the lemon juice. My urologist actually told me to drink that because it retards the growth of kidney stones, which are a problem for me. I can chug a 12 ounce glass without feeling guilty. I buy the lemon juice by the gallon at a bulk food store, and it's very economical. I don't know of any long term studies on the health effects of drinking that much lemon juice, so I guess I just have to take my chances. Whatever, it's unlikely to be more painful than kidney stones.

Years ago they used to treat external animal parasites with an application of Lindane insecticide in a spray or powder. Then it was discovered that one application of Lindane doubled a person's lifetime chance of brain cancer. Lindane is still on the market for treatment of scabies and lice in humans, though it has been banned from agricultural use. It was used to control insect infestations in animal facilities until 2002. There's a chance that the hot dogs in the studies were contaminated with Lindane or other chemicals that have since been removed from the food chain. Our food supply is getting safer all the time.

Old 01-21-2016, 06:33 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Sugar is generally not necessary for a balanced diet.
Sugar aka glucose is literally the ONLY fuel brain cells can utilize. Now perhaps you mean added sugar, but the first sentence is not only not true in regards to a balanced diet, but sugar is necessary for LIFE. Additionally, low carb diets have a temporary effect on cognition, so no sugars, preferrably in their natural form, are absolutely necessary and should be part of any diet that calls itself "balanced".

Old 01-21-2016, 06:35 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
Of course we cannot know what the specific cause of particular person's cancer was in most cases. However, it may be possible to deduce that information on a population level if we know certain things about a group's behavior. For example, if we know that group A consumes a food that is known to increase colon cancer rates by 18%, we can infer what percentage of those cases are attributable to consuming that food.

I'm well aware than "linked" and causation are not the same thing. They are at different points on the epistemic scale. Many things that are linked to cancer likely do cause cancer, but there just hasn't been a study that has yet been able to isolate enough variable to conclude that.

The recent WHO report on processed meat consumption was a claim about causation. A statement such as "consuming processed meat five times per week (or whatever it was) raises colon cancer risk by 18%" is a statement about causation.

You and I don't disagree, then. It is true that many people caused their own cancer, but it would be impolite to tell a specific person such a thing. I'm not sure there's harm in saying such a thing about no one in particular while on the internet, though.
Using a statistical inference to point at someone and say "You caused your cancer by eating hot dogs" is a misuse of science and stats and is not even particularly likely to be correct.

Old 01-21-2016, 06:55 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Sugar is generally not necessary for a balanced diet, and can be hard on someone with diabetes or pre-diabetic insulin tolerance. I have replaced all sweetened soft drinks with a pitcher of water with a half a cup of reconstituted lemon juice. It's refreshing and contains nothing but the natural fructose in the lemon juice. My urologist actually told me to drink that because it retards the growth of kidney stones, which are a problem for me. I can chug a 12 ounce glass without feeling guilty. I buy the lemon juice by the gallon at a bulk food store, and it's very economical. I don't know of any long term studies on the health effects of drinking that much lemon juice, so I guess I just have to take my chances. Whatever, it's unlikely to be more painful than kidney stones.

Years ago they used to treat external animal parasites with an application of Lindane insecticide in a spray or powder. Then it was discovered that one application of Lindane doubled a person's lifetime chance of brain cancer. Lindane is still on the market for treatment of scabies and lice in humans, though it has been banned from agricultural use. It was used to control insect infestations in animal facilities until 2002. There's a chance that the hot dogs in the studies were contaminated with Lindane or other chemicals that have since been removed from the food chain. Our food supply is getting safer all the time.
Nor is there any reason to remove sugar from your diet d/t fears of cancer.

Old 01-21-2016, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Sugar aka glucose is literally the ONLY fuel brain cells can utilize. Now perhaps you mean added sugar, but the first sentence is not only not true in regards to a balanced diet, but sugar is necessary for LIFE. Additionally, low carb diets have a temporary effect on cognition, so no sugars, preferrably in their natural form, are absolutely necessary and should be part of any diet that calls itself "balanced".
You don't eat glucose unless you pay for chemical supplements.

Old 01-21-2016, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Nor is there any reason to remove sugar from your diet d/t fears of cancer.
No, but there are plenty of other reasons, from tooth decay to obesity to diabetes. I have known people who lost more body parts to diabetes than to cancer. Going blind or having your extremities amputated is no fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting