Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 11:17 AM

214 posts, read 300,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Doctors Are Urging You To Stop Feeding Your Children Hot Dogs

In fact, researchers Sarusua and Savitz, who studied childhood cancer cases in Denver, found that children born to mothers who consumed hot dogs one or more times per week during pregnancy had approximately double the risk of developing brain tumors (2).
While I think there is a lot more to it than eating hot dogs, an aunt by marriage consumed hot dogs nearly daily (from Der Wienerschnitzel) during her pregnancy with my cousin in the late 70's. He died at the age of 6 from a brain tumor.

My mother (currently battling another form of cancer), to this day, blames her nephews death on his mothers hot dog consumption.

My eat hot dogs (not super regularly) as does my own child. Life gives a lot of people cancer. I think people should take such studies with a grain of salt and eat a varied, healthy diet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 12:08 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,463,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet View Post
While I think there is a lot more to it than eating hot dogs, an aunt by marriage consumed hot dogs nearly daily (from Der Wienerschnitzel) during her pregnancy with my cousin in the late 70's. He died at the age of 6 from a brain tumor.

My mother (currently battling another form of cancer), to this day, blames her nephews death on his mothers hot dog consumption.

My eat hot dogs (not super regularly) as does my own child. Life gives a lot of people cancer. I think people should take such studies with a grain of salt and eat a varied, healthy diet.
I think this is good advice in theory but I've known many people who tell me they eat a "healthy" diet and are obese/overweight, have health issues that are clearly caused by overeating/bad diet like type II diabetes so I also cringe a bit at the "varied, healthy diet" advice. "Healthy diet" often resides by the river denial.

Old 01-20-2016, 12:16 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
We agree....regardless of the original source, we agree on the content for the most part. Based on population studies(the Okinawan study is one) and other science I've read, if anything, I think the role of diet is understated in this piece of research.
Quote:
I think this is good advice in theory but I've known many people who tell me they eat a "healthy" diet and are obese/overweight, have health issues that are clearly caused by overeating/bad diet like type II diabetes so I also cringe a bit at the "varied, healthy diet" advice. "Healthy diet" often resides by the river denial.

You seem to like to blame patients for their illnesses. Are you a doctor?

Old 01-20-2016, 12:57 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,463,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I have presented my experience, observations, and provided data/science on the matter. If someone makes poor choices in life in regards to their diet, decides to smoke, drinks like a fish, lives on a bad diet/makes poor food choices, etc., would I say based on the science that such a person could have more than likely/greatly increased their odds that their own life style choices could have caused their sickness/illness? Absolutely. It would be naive to say otherwise. Why tip toe around the reality of science when it can be beneficial to humans in regards to prevention for those who choose to make choices that can greatly reduce the chance of becoming seriously ill? And for parents to look at the data, and more importantly, practice/teach their kids good habits early on in life to greatly reduce the odds of getting a serious illness like cancer later on in their life. A true prevention model, not a react to the symptoms later and try to quash it. And a label of MD or otherwise is not needed to reach such a basic conclusion if one analysis the data that is freely available on the internet. Specifically, again, on the topic of cancer:

Cancer is a preventable disease that requires major lifestyle changes. - PubMed - NCBI

According to this data, 5-10% would be in the "no blame" category as the roots are genetic. And taking out external environmental factors that let's say are uncontrollable, according to this study, that leaves 70%-85% cancer cases that could have been prevented if people made certain life choices. So use any term you want from "blame" on.....people indeed have choices in life to greatly diminish the risk of getting cancer according to the science. Though we are of course free to believe what we want/assign terms like "blame" if one so chooses and ignore the science of it all. Or look at it as positive, don't ignore the elephant in the room, and react to the science in a unemotional way that tells us we can prevent a great deal of pain/suffering if certain decisions are made by an individual.

Old 01-20-2016, 12:58 PM

22,556 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I am guessing that's a 'no'....

Old 01-20-2016, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I am guessing that's a 'no'....

Old 01-20-2016, 01:34 PM

Quote:
I have presented my experience, observations, and provided data/science on the matter. If someone makes poor choices in life in regards to their diet, decides to smoke, drinks like a fish, lives on a bad diet/makes poor food choices, etc., would I say based on the science that such a person could have more than likely/greatly increased their odds that their own life style choices could have caused their sickness/illness? Absolutely. It would be naive to say otherwise. Why tip toe around the reality of science when it can be beneficial to humans in regards to prevention for those who choose to make choices that can greatly reduce the chance of becoming seriously ill? And for parents to look at the data, and more importantly, practice/teach their kids good habits early on in life to greatly reduce the odds of getting a serious illness like cancer later on in their life. A true prevention model, not a react to the symptoms later and try to quash it. And a label of MD or otherwise is not needed to reach such a basic conclusion if one analysis the data that is freely available on the internet. Specifically, again, on the topic of cancer:

Cancer is a preventable disease that requires major lifestyle changes. - PubMed - NCBI

According to this data, 5-10% would be in the "no blame" category as the roots are genetic. And taking out external environmental factors that let's say are uncontrollable, according to this study, that leaves 70%-85% cancer cases that could have been prevented if people made certain life choices. So use any term you want from "blame" on.....people indeed have choices in life to greatly diminish the risk of getting cancer according to the science. Though we are of course free to believe what we want/assign terms like "blame" if one so chooses and ignore the science of it all. Or look at it as positive, don't ignore the elephant in the room, and react to the science in a unemotional way that tells us we can prevent a great deal of pain/suffering if certain decisions are made by an individual.
It's a RESEARCH article! One research project! Has it been replicated in the last 8 years?

My guess is that not only are you not a doctor, but that you are very young, and have not seen your own genes play a few tricks on you!

Old 01-20-2016, 01:36 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,763,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
The study was done between 1980 and 1987, and many healthier hot dog options are available now.
In addition, millions of pregnant women, and their children, have consumed hotdogs since that report, and didn't get cancer. Some of them did become obese though. So really, the thing is, hotdogs cause obesity. If you stop eating hotdogs you will stop being obese.

Also - an "increased risk" doesn't mean "causes." You also have to look at the risk prior to hotdog consumption. If the risk of a brain tumor for a pregnant woman is only .00001% and eating hotdogs doubles the risk, then the risk is still a profoundly, significantly unimpressive non-issue.

Lastly, I love hotdogs. On a bun. No condiments. OR with chili, cheese, and onions. Onions reduce your risk of certain cancers. So I say - eat MORE hotdogs with onions, and you will ward off cancer.

Do it for your kids!

Old 01-20-2016, 02:23 PM

78,326 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Even if this is all BS, eating hot dogs on a regular basis can't be good for your body. Full of nitrates, salt and who knows what else...
Running around telling people that something causes actual brain cancer and then when called on the utter BS saying that well, it's still not good for you.....is really crappy.

Maybe it makes people feel important to know all these "health facts" and warn people but in reality you just propagate clearly bad info being spread by somebody out there with an agenda of some sort.

If you say it and it's clearly a pile of BS then own it and stop making excuses....I mean dear god you title didn't even match the study. Maybe you should lay off on dispensing advice until you get your head on straight about these things?

Old 01-20-2016, 02:51 PM

9,688 posts, read 10,006,521 times
Fed my dog hot dogs every single day , and he live a long life around 16 years old for a dog which is old , and He never got cancer ...... But He did have sore legs and could not jump in the car in the years before he passed on ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting