Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 09:51 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,780,482 times

Advertisements

Go to the commissioner of Ed in your state. Tell them if not, you are going to the media. Put a bodycam on your daughter. Go in and see principal, say you want those girls expelled. Get a lawyer and sue district. This is horrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 01:21 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,127,110 times
I'd be talking to an attorney and having the attorney send a letter to the school and the district office. It's amazing how action is taken when they get an attorney's letter. And, if they don't take care of the problem immediately, file a lawsuit big enough to get media attention on the schol and district.

Personally, I would also take my daughter out of that school. It does not sound like a good environment condusive to learning.

Old 01-23-2016, 01:51 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,838,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calavaro View Post
Yes I told to the principal and she said it was wrong and she would look into it, but she really didn't seem that concerned. At one point she even said "Well what happened was horrible but girls can be really mean to each other" as if she were making excuses.

Can someone give some insight as to why girls typically bully each other? I thought girls were usually good at just talking stuff out.
You are responsible for your daughter and the principal is responsible for her when she is at school - do not allow her to shirk that responsibility. It is time to call the principal back and ask for the result of her "looking into it." Do not let her just give you lip service - tell her you want a complete report, in writing, of what she discovered and what steps are being taken to ensure your daughter's safety.

Do not contact any of the other kids involved or their parents, let the school do that. Once the administration is aware you won't be satisfied until the situation is properly addressed, it will be, but not until then. If the answers do not satisfy you, contact the superintendent. If you are still not satisfied, contact a lawyer. Document every contact you've made and every one going forward. You are the only one who can make this happen.

Old 01-23-2016, 07:46 AM

1,677 posts, read 2,487,393 times
If my physically capable daughter were being so viciously bullied, I would be raising all kinds of hell. I can't even imagine if she were disabled. "Talking to the principal?" LOL. Talking would be long done. It's time for action.

There are reasonable, actionable steps that you can and should take, that people have very clearly outlined here. The principal has a boss. Wouldn't it make sense to go to him/her if your complaints aren't being addressed? Are girls worse than boys? Who cares? THESE girls clearly are, and these girls are the one tormenting your wheelchair bound daughter. They need to be stopped, by any means necessary.

Take the next common sense action, then the next, then the next. If you've done all you can do and STILL are getting no response, then I can see being at a loss. So far all you've done is talk to the principal. Get aggressive. Don't let your daughter continue to be abused by these little demons.

Old 01-23-2016, 08:11 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calavaro View Post
Yes I told to the principal and she said it was wrong and she would look into it, but she really didn't seem that concerned. At one point she even said "Well what happened was horrible but girls can be really mean to each other" as if she were making excuses.

Can someone give some insight as to why girls typically bully each other? I thought girls were usually good at just talking stuff out.
This is very similar to the reaction the principal had when my son was bullied. She kept saying she'd look into it. After months my son collapsed into my arms crying asking what was wrong with him. I out too much faith in the school. You need to advocate for your daughter, the principal is not doing enough.

Have you gone to the school and spoken to her in person? Demand it immediately stops. If you have the social media posts of your daughter being bullied bring them in. Ask for the principal, the teacher, the counselor, and whoever is over the principal to come to a meeting asap. Do not let them delay.

Old 01-23-2016, 08:43 AM

452 posts, read 898,335 times
You should have a support group to help you. Your daughter can get help via a lawyer through the disabilities act. This is horrible and deplorable what she is going through I am so sorry that the girls are unkind to her. I am so sorry that someone in that classroom did not stand up for her when the girl wheeled her around the room. Please do not dismiss this and please get involved in a support group so you know your daughters rights and have help in this situation and future situations.

Print/save any and all social media posts prior to them being deleted so you have documentation even if you do not know what do with it yet.

Old 01-23-2016, 09:32 AM

450 posts, read 550,156 times
you've gotten tons of good advice, I think you need to set an example for your daughter about not being a doormat and stand up to horrible principal as well as those mean girls. Police, media, attorney I would contact all three!

Old 01-23-2016, 09:38 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,115 times
This is horrific. My Wife is a guidance counselor and bullying keeps her very busy. You have the right to request an independent student advocate at no expense to you to get this issue solved. Get the advocate, go rabid-dog mad on the school. This poor child is living a nightmare. I sincerely hope for resolve in this matter.

Old 01-23-2016, 09:43 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,344,993 times
It doesn't matter if girls can be meaner than boys to each other. This behavior is inexcusable. The incident with spinning her around in her wheel chair goes beyond bullying. It's harassment and maybe considered assault. It's pretty serious. I tend to think of a wheelchair as part of one's body if that makes sense.

Today start keeping track of all incidents. Write down the dates and times of any bullying or harassment. Take screen shots of all harassment and online bullying.

Next step: contact the parents of each of these girls. Inform them that you have been keeping track of these incidents, and any further incidents will result in a visit to the police station.

As others mentioned, try to find an attorney. Many states have disability advocates. Look into this also.

Do contact the police after the next incident.

Old 01-23-2016, 09:55 AM

106 posts, read 75,846 times
Yes, call around for an attorney.

Amazing how quickly a school gets its act together when faced with lawsuit. Also, you may want the parents of the main offenders to know that they will be included in the lawsuit.

Can you work with the teachers to call out these offending students and make them ashamed in front of their classmates?

I know a teacher who would make these offending girls look like a bunch of idiots. She's not insulting or degrading but she manages to put a big spotlight on the selfishness and pathetic side of the bully. Very effective. She might even enlist the help of students in higher grades. She snaps the bully into line in the very beginning of the year and if they don't shape up they are out fast. I'm always impressed but what I hear goes on in her classroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting