Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 10:08 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times

Advertisements

I would not wait for the next incident. Getting away with assault and kidnapping just means it will escalate.

Yes, assault: your daughter was in fear for her safety;
and kidnapping is defined as "The crime of unlawfully seizing and carrying away a person by force...."

I would be making such a ruckus this weekend or as soon as the snow makes it safe to get out.

1. The police dept pressing charges against: school, principal, and each of the girls;
2. The board of education demanding something be done immediately to provide my daughter with a safe educational experience - even if that meant the removal of all girls involved as well as the principal;
3. a lawyer's office suing the girls' parents, the principal, and the school board for intentional infliction of emotional distress, failure to prevent such, and whatever else the lawyer can think of; and,

if necessary the newspaper and the ACLU. Why the ACLU? Your daughter has a right to a free public education and that right is being abridged because her physical safety is at jeopardy due to the action of those girls and the inaction of the principal. Additionally, if the police are not prepared to arrest and charge the girls with the crime of assault in the very least, nevermind kidnapping and the FEDERAL crime of civil rights violations, the ACLU can bring pressure on them. Perhaps even bringing in the additional issues of FEDERAL charges because your daughter is confined to a wheelchair putting her into a special category protected by additional laws for crimes against the handicapped!

Sorry for the runon sentences. As a mother, grandmother and great grandmother, my Irish is up and so is my bloodpressure just out of concern for your daughter!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 10:17 AM

367 posts, read 458,037 times
You've given the principal time to act. While I agree there are things you can go to the police for, I can sense that the police might react similarly at first. I agree with the suggestions therefore that the school is due for some media shaming over the disgusting incidents that are allowed to happen to your daughter by the school. Contact a local station in your area known for breaking stories like this.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:23 AM

7 posts, read 6,525 times
Thanks for all advice. I didn't realize girls could be so mean!

Old 01-23-2016, 10:29 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,303,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
It doesn't matter if girls can be meaner than boys to each other. This behavior is inexcusable. The incident with spinning her around in her wheel chair goes beyond bullying. It's harassment and maybe considered assault. It's pretty serious. I tend to think of a wheelchair as part of one's body if that makes sense.

Today start keeping track of all incidents. Write down the dates and times of any bullying or harassment. Take screen shots of all harassment and online bullying.

Next step: contact the parents of each of these girls. Inform them that you have been keeping track of these incidents, and any further incidents will result in a visit to the police station.

As others mentioned, try to find an attorney. Many states have disability advocates. Look into this also.

Do contact the police after the next incident.
Talk to the parents first/now. It is possible they don't know their kids are doing this. I would then follow the rest of the above advice.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:54 AM

7,991 posts, read 5,386,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calavaro View Post

They have done things such as make fun of her, write nasty/mean things on her facebook,
This you have control over. Fix her privacy options, de-friend any bullies.

Please don't send her back to school until this is resolved. School should send a home teacher in meanwhile.

Old 01-23-2016, 11:41 AM

5,940 posts, read 3,571,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calavaro View Post
Thanks for all advice. I didn't realize girls could be so mean!

Don't just let the school do a minimal "slap on the wrist" and sweep it under the rug. Take it all the way, where they have no easy way out. You have everything on your side. Even if one Agency did not want to take action, the fact that there would be may, will force them all to act. A Lawyer would be a must. You also have the ACLU, if you had to.

Its your turn to be the "Meanest" kid on the block, and be the spokesperson of your Daughter and any one with any disabilities that can't defend themselves.

Don't warn the parents of the girls responsible for this. If they see it coming, they will try to protect their kids, in most cases.

Old 01-23-2016, 11:44 AM

3,820 posts, read 8,747,540 times
Does your school have a school resource officer on site? I'd approach them about the girl who took control of her wheelchair. In our schools the officer can ticket and make arrests.

Oh and she needs to block those girls on FB. Not just unfriend.

Old 01-23-2016, 12:47 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
I have friends with a mentally disabled daughter. She's very attractive and has no physical impairments but the minute she speaks you know there are serious issues. She was harassed a lot in high school. Her father went to the homes of the teens who were causing her problems and spoke to the parents. That worked for him.

Old 01-23-2016, 12:58 PM

2 posts, read 4,860 times
d had a special needs daughter..she passed away during her second liver transplant and I found it was better to home school. They do not understand and other kids can be incredibly mean. They grow out of it and it will be ok but they do not understand for a child that is disable..their life might not be as long and they are trying so hard to fit in and be a part. I took my daughter to 4h clubs and she did girlscouts but I was involved and right there to be sure she was treated alright. She did everything regular kids did but it was in a moderated envirnment. She had a very large stomach because of her issues and everyday people would say she was pregnant. She would cry about it...Then I just started back to ECOT...she could do school work when she up to it and they would taylor it to what she needed and could do. I realized that Katelin knowing how to do algebra did not matter to me half as much as her being able to read and write and be treated well. that mattered alot!
She passed away when she was 15 and half...I chose to chose my battles with teenage kids just being mean teenage kids....And not be angry or mad at them. Forgive and move on! God says.
Deb

Old 01-23-2016, 01:12 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
I would not wait for the next incident. Getting away with assault and kidnapping just means it will escalate.

Yes, assault: your daughter was in fear for her safety;
and kidnapping is defined as "The crime of unlawfully seizing and carrying away a person by force...."

I would be making such a ruckus this weekend or as soon as the snow makes it safe to get out.

1. The police dept pressing charges against: school, principal, and each of the girls;
2. The board of education demanding something be done immediately to provide my daughter with a safe educational experience - even if that meant the removal of all girls involved as well as the principal;
3. a lawyer's office suing the girls' parents, the principal, and the school board for intentional infliction of emotional distress, failure to prevent such, and whatever else the lawyer can think of; and,

if necessary the newspaper and the ACLU. Why the ACLU? Your daughter has a right to a free public education and that right is being abridged because her physical safety is at jeopardy due to the action of those girls and the inaction of the principal. Additionally, if the police are not prepared to arrest and charge the girls with the crime of assault in the very least, nevermind kidnapping and the FEDERAL crime of civil rights violations, the ACLU can bring pressure on them. Perhaps even bringing in the additional issues of FEDERAL charges because your daughter is confined to a wheelchair putting her into a special category protected by additional laws for crimes against the handicapped!

Sorry for the runon sentences. As a mother, grandmother and great grandmother, my Irish is up and so is my bloodpressure just out of concern for your daughter!
This, got my Irish up as well.

You almost want to hire someone to go have a "chat" with the ringleader of the girls(there always is one) and tell her it's in her best interest to stop it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
Talk to the parents first/now. It is possible they don't know their kids are doing this. I would then follow the rest of the above advice.
It's worth a shot, but these days with so many parents who don't parent, or think their little special snowflake can do no wrong, it could fall on deaf ears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
This you have control over. Fix her privacy options, de-friend any bullies.

Please don't send her back to school until this is resolved. School should send a home teacher in meanwhile.
Absolutely. Do this ASAP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting