Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 06:27 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,246,081 times

Advertisements

Geez. When I was a teen it wasn't cool to bully a disabled person. In fact, the bully was ostracized or else often bullied himself.

Different world back in the Stone Age I reckon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 06:44 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times
It's very hard for me to think there was absolutely no student in that classroom who did not confront the bullies.

My wheelchair bound grandson is now in college . He has been wheelchair bound for 14 years and even strangers have come to his defense in any bullying or offensive situation.

Old 01-24-2016, 06:51 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
Well if it was me I would be so far up in that principals wazoo it would not even be funny and then we would be talking lawsuit ...You have been to the school far too many times Op for them to take you seriously . Talk to a lawyer and if you cant afford one I'm sure the ADA would be more than happy to recommend one and yeah don't stop there go talk to the parents of the nit wits and see if they are as stupid as their kids and if they get smart with ya , just look at them like the dumbarses they are and see if they think it is funny when they get a sheriffs car in the driveway for all the neighbors to see and being served with a subpoena to come to court because of the lawsuit against the school for doing nothing to these fu*kwits who think it is funny to harass and bully a girl in a wheel chair . Good luck to you and sue , sue , sue .

Old 01-24-2016, 06:54 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I would ask your daughter how she would like to see it resolved, and let that be your guide. I wouldn't do anything that could cause her any further embarrassment. If she wants the girls to apologize, and leave her alone, then that should be the goal.

I have seen this occur and in a few months it starts right back again and then nothing has been accomplished I find when you hit people in the wallet it tends to leave a better reminder than anything else .

Old 01-24-2016, 06:58 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
It's very hard for me to think there was absolutely no student in that classroom who did not confront the bullies.

My wheelchair bound grandson is now in college . He has been wheelchair bound for 14 years and even strangers have come to his defense in any bullying or offensive situation.

I was also surprised that one or more of her classmates did not stand up for the OP's daughter. It made me suspect that the girls who bullied the daughter must have bullied other teens and the classmates were all afraid of them or some other big reason.

Last edited by germaine2626; 01-24-2016 at 07:08 AM..

Old 01-24-2016, 07:43 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,384,266 times
As a side note, I would also help build up my daughter's social circle and try to surround her with the protection of friends. Join a church or hobby group and invite kids to do things with your daughter. There are kids out there who couldn't care less that your daughter is disabled.

Good luck OP! Let us know what happens. You've gotten some pretty good advice.

Last edited by Meyerland; 01-24-2016 at 09:03 AM..

Old 01-24-2016, 07:46 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
As a side note, I would also help build up my daughter's social circle and try to surround her with the protection of friends. Join a church or hobby group and invite kids to do things it's your daughter. There are kids out there who couldn't care less that your daughter is disabled.

Good luck OP! Let us know what happens. You've gotten some pretty good advice.
Excellent point. It's harder to bully someone who is surrounded by friends. Definitely get your daughter involved.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:58 AM

2,671 posts, read 2,232,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calavaro View Post
I need some good advice on what to do about my 15 year old disabled daughter that is getting some bullying in school that has been bad but as of 3 days ago got real bad. My daughter is stuck in a wheel chair and has trouble getting around but does okay. The problem is ever since she started HS she has had a bullying problem, in particular a group of 4 girls she says make fun of her and are mean to her.

They have done things such as make fun of her, write nasty/mean things on her facebook, talked bad about her to a boy she liked etc. I have talked to the school and they always say they'll do something but they don't. Anyway it really all came to a head 3 days ago when during class when the teacher went out one of the girls grabbed her wheel chair and started wheeling her around the class room! She said many of the students started laughing and as expected was awful for her. She said it went on for about 5 minutes but she was too embarrassed to tell the teacher when she came back.

I was furious and talked to the school and as before they just said they'd "look into it". Which I guess means they don't care. She doesn't want to go back but I have had her go telling her to see if anything like that happens again. Now I am a single father, mother couldn't cope with her disability and left when she was 11. As a father if it were boys I would give them a talking to but being girls I know my options are limited and feel horrible for my daughter.
Get a lawyer and take out a restraining order. Go see the principal and tell him you're going to go to the newspapers or tv station and give them names. Publicize it. Shame these skanks and the rotten school too.

Old 01-24-2016, 08:56 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,381,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calavaro View Post
Thanks for all advice. I didn't realize girls could be so mean!
The fact that there is a movie called Mean Girls should have given you a clue

I have all the confidence in you that you can change this situation.

Old 01-24-2016, 09:15 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,410,209 times
This is horrific.

These girls pushing her wheelchair against her will.... this is TORTURE. Any principal who doesn't understand that deserves to be fired. It is so easy to fall out of a wheelchair. Her safety is clearly at risk.

I am so angry for you and your daughter, I cannot put it into words.

Tell your daughter we are so so proud of her, and are so sorry that she has been treated this way.

And keep going Dad. You can do it. Keep yelling. And teach your daughter to YELL.... SCREAM... the next time anyone touches her wheelchair without her permission.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting