Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2016, 11:29 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,955,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Yeah, not getting that. At most I would have thought "Hmm...that's different. Oh well. Remember to avoid going there in the future. And no matter how tempting, don't peek into people's windows." And not thought another thing about it.

Short of the woman getting off the sofa, charging the door with hands a-flailing and full blown screams, there wouldn't be much to say. She was on the sofa, didn't care to answer the door and said go away. Big deal.
He would have had to exaggerated a bit to make the wife/mom so angry that she wanted to write a letter to the woman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 11:37 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,876,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
He would have had to exaggerated a bit to make the wife/mom so angry that she wanted to write a letter to the woman.
I agree. Or the mom has serious anger issues

Old 01-26-2016, 11:38 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
He didn't agree with his wife at first. He came off sounding like the more sane and rational parent. Then when people began pointing out the rudeness he himself exhibited and allowed his child to exhibit, he decided that he might write a letter after all. Yeah, I know that doesn't make much sense. Don't like the response of random strangers on City Data? Write your neighbor a nasty letter and take it out on her...after you've already ticked her off by lurking uninvited at her front door.
Ok. Personally, it sounds like a "shrug and move on" lesson opportunity to me.

Old 01-26-2016, 11:42 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,894,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

Well no he hasn't taught the daughter the most important lesson, if they told her the lady is wrong and the daughter is owed an apology, and they're thinking of sending a letter. He justified them looking in the window.

That's teaching the daughter that it's all about her. We have enough of that running around these days.
He said he told her this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWGuy View Post
My lesson to my daughter - that person is exactly the type of person you do *not* want to be when growing up. One can not be interested, but polite at the same time.
... Which is a perfectly fine takeaway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
And having the parents do all the work by pushing the cookies on coworkers defeats the purpose Girl Scouts.

Here in Southern CA(an I'm sure other places) they sell them outside the supermarkets with adult supervision. Part of being in Boy or Girl Scouts is learning to be responsible. That doesn't happen if mommy and daddy do all the work.
That part was a joke, Sean. Talk about sensitive....

Old 01-26-2016, 11:43 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
$4, but the trick is that it seems like less and less product per box. Some of them have like 6 cookies per box or something......okay, I'm exaggerating a bit.
Well, when you buy Girl Scout cookies you do so knowing fully well that you are getting a token for a donation to an organization. Expecting Girl Scout cookies to be some great value is not realistic.

Old 01-26-2016, 12:08 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,812,910 times
What a misleading thread title, to which I was going to respond (again) that we are, indeed, a Jerry Springer society.

Instead, though, a homeowner chose not to answer the door, while you and your daughter continued to peer inside as she was telling you to go away (for reasons she doesn't have to explain to you).

And now your wife wants to send her a harassing letter?

It takes all kinds.

Old 01-26-2016, 12:13 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,622,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
He said he told her this:

... Which is a perfectly fine takeaway.

That part was a joke, Sean. Talk about sensitive....

Actually a better take away would have been "while that woman wasn't very nice, we don't know what she has going on in her life, maybe she just found out her mother passed".

In addition to teaching your child not to look in stranger's windows.

Try to the teach the child that it's not all about her. Teach her to have empathy for others.

Otherwise you have a 23 year old who calls up mommy and daddy crying from her first real job because she gets called on the carpet for something she did wrong.

Old 01-26-2016, 12:15 PM

143 posts, read 133,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWGuy View Post
I was assisting my 8 yr old daughter selling girl scout cookies, going door to door. We approached this one house, daughter rang the doorbell. Since the door had side glass panels, we could both see inside the house. My daughter peeks in, and we can both see a lady sitting on the couch, looking at us, waving and shouting "GO AWAY", over and over. By her tone, she was not happy to see us there.

I rolled my eyes, but my 8 yr old daughter was a bit shaken up, she could not understand why she was being treated like that. I can understand a person's reaction to any type of door-to-door sales person, but to an 8 yr old girl selling girl scout cookies, i thought it was really rude, inconsiderate and over the top. My lesson to my daughter - that person is exactly the type of person you do *not* want to be when growing up. One can not be interested, but polite at the same time.

Now here's the dillema. My wife was extremely angry over what had happened, and wants to send a letter to that home, calling her out on her rudeness. At the same time she would be polite about it, including a "no solicitors" sign so they can ensure other girls are not impacted by their rudeness. I'm saying leave it be, if that person wants to be rude in their home, that is their right.

Thoughts?
Give the lady what she wants. Rude people tend to be avoided by others and thats usually how they want it. Therefore the proper thing to do would be to stay away from the lady and her house. If you stay away from her that way you won't have to put up with her or her rudeness and you'll both be happy.

Old 01-26-2016, 12:38 PM

92 posts, read 167,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
$4, but the trick is that it seems like less and less product per box. Some of them have like 6 cookies per box or something......okay, I'm exaggerating a bit.
No, they are definitely getting smaller. Last year I could not believe the size of the Thin Mints.

Old 01-26-2016, 12:42 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,424,181 times
I hate clear glass side panels. We have a half set on one side of the door, but they are covered by a curtain. I have a spray that would frost them up (forgot that I had that till now!), but I really want to replace them with hurricane resistant glass because they are single pane and an easy access point to the front door.

As for all you 'Peeping Tom Crusaders', IMO if you have clear glass panels on the side of your front door, be ready for people to look through them. Humans are naturally curious. How about this scenario: Cute, 8yo Girl Scout selling cookies rings the doorbell to the house. When no one answers, she looks inside the glass window which is mere inches from the solid wood door. She sees granny who has fallen and can't get up since her LifeAlert came off her bony wrist and clattered away. Calling 911 ( because she learned that in GS), emergency personnel arrive to get granny on her feet. Is the GS a hero or a pervert?

Now walking around the house to peer in windows is creepy, but at the main entry point, what else are you supposed to do? Do you avert your eyes every time you neighbors open their garage door as to not see the contents therein?

As for the letter, don't. If you want to make a statement, why not have the Troop pace the front of the house with signs calling the homeowner out on her rudeness. Call the local news channel to send out a camera - they love that stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting