Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2016, 11:30 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,978,388 times

Advertisements

Been there, done that, got the girl scout tshurt.
My young daughter saw behavior like that for many of her cookie selling career.

My response to her young mind:
Shrug it off, and go to the next house.
Many times we saw curtains moving, heard voices on the other side of the door, people just ignoring the doorbell, "hide don't answer the door, it's the f'ng girl scouts!" Yelled inside the house....goes with the territory.

It's a lesson in humility and human nature.
It was a good lesson for her, that she isn't some special snowflake to the world.
Sure it startled her, made her feel uncomfortable, made her mad....
But it also toughened her up. It also was a lesson in empathy, as she is no longer a scout, but treats those girls coming to the door with a different respect than most others.
As a former scout and leader...i wish they'd stop all the door to door madness. It's 2016 not 2006...booth sales, online sales, parents office sales, family, friends, Facebook, and word of mouth should be the only way to go now days.

Please don't write that letter..that's foolish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 11:35 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,978,388 times
Thar reminds me!I have to get some cash for next week. We've got 6 boxes being delivered to our door!!

Old 01-29-2016, 05:05 AM

774 posts, read 744,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightfulNYC View Post
When I was really little we used to sell Cub Scout Raffle tickets door to door when I was around 8 years old by myself and sometimes with my ten year old brother.

Back then we lived in Bronx. Started out after school doing it but Moms with kids home from school, getting dinner for husband on table did not want to go to cookie jar for tickets. Plus prizes were kinda more manly. TV, Liquor, Yankee tickets. And it was a raffle so you got nothing but a receipt.

We then quickly figured from our own Dad, they are cranky when they get home from work, not til they had dinner plop in recliner and have a few beers do they chill out. We started going out between 8pm and 10pm and sold a boat load.

Back then not everyone had a color TV so it was a really big deal to win one.

That was then; this is now.

Old 01-29-2016, 05:39 AM

11,785 posts, read 12,022,471 times
Your thread title is purposely misleading. The two of you were on her porch, hence an adult man and child were told to go away.

The takeaway from this is that your daughter should have had some advance preparation before ringing her first doorbell. Not everyone will answer the door, you may catch people at a bad time, being a little girl selling cookies doesn't mean everyone will want to buy, and most importantly, your need to sell cookies does not override people's rights on their own property.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:17 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
I never seem to have that problem, with no windows and a concrete filled steel door it is hard to see or hear anyone trying to knock. Then again the gate is usually closed and my yard is a natural pineland environment with no house visible. Yet mom's house is accessible but few seem to try to sell anything as they might think the Addams family lives there. The last time Girl Scouts tried to sell me cookies I gave them a lecture in how sugar is toxic and excessive carbohydrates can make them fat. I sent them to a neighbor who bought several boxes when she got home later. The girls were there too early to catch her when I was home but I gave them the time to come back.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:43 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,212,917 times
If the woman was sitting in her chair mouthing the words or yelling she was not the rude one. Had she opened the door and yelled at the 8 y.o. she would have been rude. In this case peaking in her window was the rude action. In our area they set up tables outside of supermarkets nd other public places.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:48 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,157,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspistol View Post
That was then; this is now.
I did it at the height of the Bronx being dangerous. Today my old neighborhood is much safer. Difference is todays kids have no street smarts. We used to bring a knife, or sometimes a plain old tube sock with rocks or stuff in it for protection.

Old 01-29-2016, 01:31 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
...The last time Girl Scouts tried to sell me cookies I gave them a lecture in how sugar is toxic and excessive carbohydrates can make them fat...
Oh wonderful, I've encountered this before. You know, not everyone has a problem with moderation. Besides, it's a fundraiser - donate the cookies.

Old 01-29-2016, 02:02 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Oh wonderful, I've encountered this before. You know, not everyone has a problem with moderation. Besides, it's a fundraiser - donate the cookies.
You can actually fill out the virtual cookie share and the cookies will go to the military troops overseas. You don't get the cookies but you buy them.

Old 01-29-2016, 02:06 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
You can actually fill out the virtual cookie share and the cookies will go to the military troops overseas. You don't get the cookies but you buy them.
That is the best post in this entire thread.
Excellent - thanks for posting that. I wish some folks in this thread (me included) would look into this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting