Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 11:29 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,674,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWGuy View Post
That is correct. I would not put what my daughter inadvertently did, up there on the same level with that lady's reaction. Had she had her nose pressed up against the glass, with her hands cupped around her eyes to see in, then that would have been a different story - and that is my opinion. At the same time, had the homeowner opened the door, and told my daughter it was not nice to peek/peer in, then by all means we would have apologized. And had the lady simply said "No thanks", we would have been on our way. Could the lady have messaged her displeasure differently? Absolutely, and i don't doubt anyone here would disagree.

For those that agree with the lady's reaction - maybe tit-for-tat, or two wrongs make a right works for many of you. Maybe many of you would accept rudeness when directed to you or your child. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me that this story it a nerve to where some of you are somewhat embarrassed as it reminds you of something you did in the past, and you are trying to defend it? Maybe that's a stretch...

I guess I found that kind of response from that lady unacceptable, regardless where she was. And you know what, maybe a letter to her is warranted....
You would be wrong on your assumption that most of us talk to people that way.

This past Saturday I had a young guy knock on the door, I didn't really want to answer it but since I was sitting in the living room and the TV was on and I had the blinds open enough that you could see the TV was on I answered the door...LOL. I would have felt kind of silly trying to duck down on the couch.

He was from some environmental group against "fracking" here in CA. We talked for awhile, he wanted a donation(either one time or monthly) and I declined but I did sign his petition.

I would never shout out "go away", I even commented on how this is some hill to walk up as it is very steep. It was a pleasant conversation, but if I hadn't been in "view" I probably wouldn't have answered the door.

You fail to realize what has been mentioned by myself and other posters. One poster even mentioned she just found out her mother died from a phone call by her father, and had someone knocking on her door.

You have no idea if this woman is just cranky or had something happen.

Go ahead write the letter, make sure your daughter knows.

Let her think everything is about her, and how dare anyone ever slight her.

I have a cousin who did that with her daughter, now she has a 21 year old who can't function for the most part. She wrecked her car and mommy had to spend all day calling repair shops, I asked "why can't she do that, doesn't her smart phone make calls?".

A better lesson to teach your daughter would be while the woman wasn't pleasant, not everyone is going to be pleasant in life, and sometimes people have major personal issues and we have to give them a pass on minor slights like this.

My cousin actually wonders why this girl is so helpless. She created it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 11:44 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,186,757 times
Quote:
That is correct. I would not put what my daughter inadvertently did, up there on the same level with that lady's reaction. Had she had her nose pressed up against the glass, with her hands cupped around her eyes to see in, then that would have been a different story - and that is my opinion. At the same time, had the homeowner opened the door, and told my daughter it was not nice to peek/peer in, then by all means we would have apologized. And had the lady simply said "No thanks", we would have been on our way. Could the lady have messaged her displeasure differently? Absolutely, and i don't doubt anyone here would disagree.

For those that agree with the lady's reaction - maybe tit-for-tat, or two wrongs make a right works for many of you. Maybe many of you would accept rudeness when directed to you or your child. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me that this story it a nerve to where some of you are somewhat embarrassed as it reminds you of something you did in the past, and you are trying to defend it? Maybe that's a stretch...

I guess I found that kind of response from that lady unacceptable, regardless where she was. And you know what, maybe a letter to her is warranted....
I don't think most people agree with the lady's reaction.

However, the lady simply yelled to go away while your daughter committed a violation of the law. More specifically, intrusion of solitude. Under no circumstance can you look into someone's home. So to imply that yelling is as bad as doing something illegal is pure ignorance.

Yes, your daughter may have done it inadvertently due to being poorly educated, but that doesn't change the fact that she did it. Just like if she had inadvertently killed someone, that doesn't change the fact that she killed someone.

Old 01-26-2016, 03:21 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,341,075 times
Quote:
I see nothing wrong with calling out rude people, wherever they are.
Wherever they are? For your own safety, you better go back to the PNW.

It's none of your business what a homeowner does on his or her own piece of property. I'd say that would be true all over America, but to behave as if you have the right to "correct" someone's behavior, especially when they are INSIDE THEIR OWN HOUSE in the state of Arizona (!), I'd say you're taking a risk with your life. (Mind you, that's not a threat on my part, that's a fear expressed by someone who doesn't own a weapon of any kind and wishes other people shared that attitude.)

Old 01-26-2016, 03:24 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,341,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I did not see any hostility toward girl scouts on this thread. My granddaughter is a girl scout and has sold cookies since she was in 1st grade. Daisies were not allowed to sell back when she started. I think the hostility is toward the wife wanting to write a letter calling out the homeowner as rude when all she did was yell go away from inside her own house.
I don't either. In fact, I said I used to BE a Girl Scout and that I happily still buy cookies from Girl Scouts. I have even defended them here, on C-D, as not being over-priced, compared to the cost of all store-bought cookies these days.

Old 01-26-2016, 03:48 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,881,730 times
Quote:

You and your daughter are in the wrong. YOU should have not allowed her to peek into the windows of this womans home, period. You and your wife sound quite entitled, and your daughter will be too, by the sounds of it. Also, stop going door to door selling stuff, it annoys people. Take the order sheet to work like everybody else does!!!

Old 01-26-2016, 04:13 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,206,723 times
Quote:

I am starting to wonder if it is the 8 year old that is posting and not the adult father. Yes, the woman could have been more polite, but how can you not understand that she was inside her own home and had absolutely no obligation to answer the door? You have no idea about her personal situation. She could have just received bad news, she could have just had foot surgery, she could have been the babysitter and was told not to answer the door, she could have just been woken up from a nap because of the doorbell, she could have just answered the door to five other people soliciting & was tired of being interrupted during her favorite TV show or any number of things.

She did not have to get up and respond to someone ringing her doorbell like it was a royal command.

And, what in the world would you possible say to the woman in the letter? Something like "How dare you ignore my cute, little daughter and not answer the door when she rang the door bell. How rude of you to yell at us to 'Go away' ".?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Wherever they are? For your own safety, you better go back to the PNW.

It's none of your business what a homeowner does on his or her own piece of property. I'd say that would be true all over America, but to behave as if you have the right to "correct" someone's behavior, especially when they are INSIDE THEIR OWN HOUSE in the state of Arizona (!), I'd say you're taking a risk with your life. (Mind you, that's not a threat on my part, that's a fear expressed by someone who doesn't own a weapon of any kind and wishes other people shared that attitude.)
I have to agree. Sadly, there have been people actually shot and some killed by homeowners in my area because the person felt threatened in their home by strangers on their doorstep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
You and your daughter are in the wrong. YOU should have not allowed her to peek into the windows of this womans home, period. You and your wife sound quite entitled, and your daughter will be too, by the sounds of it.
It is not just the peeking inside, IMHO, the bigger problem is getting upset because the woman did not get up to answer the doorbell and yelled her displeasure at you. You are sounding entitled because it appears that you believe that the world revolves around you and your family and you can't seem to "let go" of what happened. The woman didn't swear, she didn't threaten or hurt you or your daughter, she didn't call the police, she didn't do anything except yell at you to "Go away" from the privacy of inside her own home.

And you still don't seem to get that she did not have to get up an answer her doorbell. There have been threads on C-D where multiple people have stated that they never answer their door unless they are expecting someone. And, you have no idea if she had a special reason not to answer the door that particular day.

Just let it go.

Last edited by germaine2626; 01-26-2016 at 04:52 AM..

Old 01-26-2016, 04:42 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,371,988 times
Quote:
My daughter peeks in, and we can both see a lady sitting on the couch, looking at us, waving and shouting "GO AWAY", over and over. By her tone, she was not happy to see us there.

I rolled my eyes, but my 8 yr old daughter was a bit shaken up, she could not understand why she was being treated like that. I can understand a person's reaction to any type of door-to-door sales person, but to an 8 yr old girl selling girl scout cookies, i thought it was really rude, inconsiderate and over the top. My lesson to my daughter - that person is exactly the type of person you do *not* want to be when growing up. One can not be interested, but polite at the same time.

Now here's the dillema. My wife was extremely angry over what had happened, and wants to send a letter to that home, calling her out on her rudeness. At the same time she would be polite about it, including a "no solicitors" sign so they can ensure other girls are not impacted by their rudeness. I'm saying leave it be, if that person wants to be rude in their home, that is their right.

Thoughts?
Really? Your wife is extremely angry over this? Good grief. I've been on the train and had someone come up to me, ranting and raving, get directly in my face and tell me I was a white devil b*tch and I don't even remember getting angry about it. You need to pick your battles sometimes and I chose not to battle someone who was clearly mentally ill. Maybe what you perceived as "rude" wouldn't seem rude to someone else. For example, I had a co-worker, when calling to me, thought it was rude because I replied, "What?" whereas growing up that was just a pretty common response.

You think someone shouting "go away" is that traumatizing? That is really low on the "rudeness" totem pole. If your wife is going to react so strongly, what is going to happen when someone is legitimately rude to your daughter? What about when your daughter starts driving and someone cuts her off---will she track the offender down via license plate and mail her a letter too?

I would see being offended if the woman got in her face, cursed at her, ranted and raved, gave you a speech on why you shouldn't be there, etc. But you should just let this one go.

Old 01-26-2016, 05:21 AM

145 posts, read 168,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Wherever they are? For your own safety, you better go back to the PNW. )
Lol, possibly where his entitled attitude was learned.

Old 01-26-2016, 05:35 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,223,237 times
Quote:
I was assisting my 8 yr old daughter selling girl scout cookies, going door to door. We approached this one house, daughter rang the doorbell. Since the door had side glass panels, we could both see inside the house. My daughter peeks in, and we can both see a lady sitting on the couch, looking at us, waving and shouting "GO AWAY", over and over. By her tone, she was not happy to see us there....

Thoughts?
I think the bottom line is that it is her house, her property and her time; and you were "intruding" on all three. And, whether you (or I) like it or not, the woman was not obliged to be polite, and you can't really know why she wasn't.

Your daughter peeking in the window too, which was not a good idea.

The woman in the house could have thought you were looking for a handout, or were religious proselytizers....anything.

I would say a letter would be 100% out of line. And you might get one back telling you to stuff it and stay off of her property in the future!

This was hardly a vicious attack on your daughter's sensibilities, and it is likely to be one of many occasions when you have to explain to her that not all people are pleasant to deal with. Not a great idea, IMO, to make a big deal out of this, especially when life is going to have some far worse lessons in store...better to keep a sense of proportion.

In days of yore, when I was a child, every neighborhood had a notoriously crabby individual that all the kids knew about, and even the adults avoided. It was one of the earliest lessons you learned about people.

Old 01-26-2016, 05:35 AM

6,794 posts, read 5,674,034 times
Much ado about nothing OP. You and your wife should let this go like water off a ducks back... seriously!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting