Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 01:55 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,961,604 times

Advertisements

My kids enjoy Wild Kratz, Dino Dan, Henry Danger, Big Time Rush, The Odd Squad and a few others on Nick. My son has them set to record.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 01:59 PM

269 posts, read 480,898 times
No, we have never banned any kid shows. My boys are now 11 & 14 and they are turning our to be wonderful young men. So, I guess the TV did no harm.

Old 01-29-2016, 04:24 PM

92 posts, read 116,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I remember a pretty good discussion on this topic in this old thread from a couple of years ago:

//www.city-data.com/forum/paren...-you-dont.html

It's funny how we were complaining about the shows on ABC "Family," and now they have acknowledged the dissonance and changed their name to Freeform.
Oh yeah - ABC Family didn't show anything remotely family friendly!

Old 01-29-2016, 05:12 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,655,077 times
I banned nothing when my children were young. I preferred that they watch programming not specifically directed at children - and I am not a fan of animation, on a variety of levels.

We did like "Veggie Tales", though. And my wife and I also found that series to be funny.

Old 01-29-2016, 07:54 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
We go mostly by the rating. No shows are out-right banned, but we don't let them watch TV-14 usually. Sometimes "iffy for 13+". The oldest is 12. We have the satellite set so a code needs to be entered for more adult ratings.

When they were younger they watched Sprout (PBS), dinosaur and other science shows, then Phineus and Ferb, iCarly, Good Luck Charlie. They do watch Disney channel shows. I can only take so much, and make them turn off anything with Ariana Grande. She sounds like an idiot and I can't stand listening to her. Girl Meets World seems to always have a lesson of some kind. I don't mind that one.

We watch The Middle together as a family.

Old 01-30-2016, 02:45 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,250,361 times
Nothing is banned as yet for my 5 year old. She's into Tom and Jerry big time at the moment, both the classic version and the newer ones - she's watching right now actually. Apart from that she enjoys Doc McStuffins which I hate because of the catchy songs but I let her watch, and Henry Hugglemonster which I like for the Britishness and Art Attack which irritates me for some reason but its nice for her to take an interest in art. I wish she would regain her interest in Alfred J Kwak as I love that cartoon, its interesting on so many levels, quite adult in many ways with themes of dictatorship, apartheid etc.

Old 01-30-2016, 04:44 AM

676 posts, read 725,996 times
I have never restricted my son from kid shows. Hes 11 now and I have never had any problems. He knows the shows are not real and he was taught how to behave around others. I really could not see my son acting any differant just because he watched some kids show. He mostly watches simpsons, family guy,adult swim shows along with some that I dont know the names of. Maybe it's because he was never sheltered growing up from much of anything so he knows how to take it in without acting like the tv show.

Old 01-30-2016, 05:16 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,250,361 times
Oh yeah my kid loves to watch Simpsons with us - whenever she makes a mistake she says "D'oh!"

Old 01-30-2016, 08:53 AM

1,292 posts, read 1,976,191 times
I have a 6-year-old. He does not watch any television by himself. Occasionally with me he will watch and inning or two of a Yankees baseball game, but that is it.

Old 01-30-2016, 09:40 AM

649 posts, read 570,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
I don't like Max and Ruby as Ruby is too bossy towards Max and shows too much disrespect.
Last Thanksgiving I had a very hilarious discussion with a group of small kids about this show and all of the kids hate Ruby and love little Max. They had some very interesting observations about this show (where the heck are their parents?) Anyway, my little one actually watches it sometimes and I don't have a problem with it. I let her watch anything on Nick Jr and all of the PBS toddler shows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting