Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 12:04 PM

217 posts, read 245,267 times

Advertisements

Anyone remember Oobi? Worst kids show ever. My son, now 11, loved it as a kid. It was talking hands. Horrible.

My daughter, almost 5, LOOOOOOVES Peppa Pig. I actually find the show amusing and can relate to Daddy Pig.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 12:15 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,744,814 times
I set the DVR to record the shows I'm okay with, and they only watch shows from the DVR. In our house we like Dora, Super Why, Jake and the Neverland Pirates, Octonauts, Bubble Guppies, Blues Clues, My Little Pony, Peppa Pig, Max and Ruby, Curious George, Team Oomi-Zoomi, and a few others. We also go to the library and get Bill Nye the Science Guy and Eyewitness science videos to watch in the car.

Sponge Bob especially, and in general any other show with unintelligent or crass behavior is banned. I've seen iCarly, and I will do whatever it takes to avoid having that crap playing in our house down the road. As another PP mentioned, I'd much rather they watch something like Buffy.

Old 04-04-2016, 03:23 PM

499 posts, read 581,466 times
My daughter just turned three and lately, her taste in shows changes week to week. Sometimes I will put the TV on the music channels (NOT the video music channels - the other channels that basically show pics of the band/singer who is playing). We listen to '70s and '80s tunes (what can I say, the kid loves the classics, lol) and instrumentals, jazz, and classical stations when she was younger. Old faves that I miss are Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood and Super Why. One day, she just lost interest in both. Current faves from Disney are Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Doc McStuffins and (lately) PJ Masks. PBS fave is Curious George. On Sprout she loves Floogals, Earth to Luna, Super Wings, and Ruff Ruff, Tweet & Dave. We go to the playground every day and we go to the library at least twice a week for storytimes and read a lot of library books. We do NOT watch TV or movies in the car or in the grocery store or restaurants, etc.

Old 04-04-2016, 03:52 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,744,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromCTtoFL View Post
We do NOT watch TV or movies in the car or in the grocery store or restaurants, etc.

Oh, the reason we watch TV in the car is because my daughter goes to a special school and the commute is 45 minutes one way. She can't read in the car because it makes her carsick, so that is a lot of deadtime that I wanted to try to get some educational use out of. So when daddy drives, we watch science videos (his car has an integrated dvd player) and when mommy drives, we listen to audiobooks (lately we've been listening to Magic Treehouse but I'm looking to get Story of the World for some history).

Old 04-04-2016, 04:20 PM

4,039 posts, read 4,916,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromCTtoFL View Post
My daughter just turned three and lately, her taste in shows changes week to week. Sometimes I will put the TV on the music channels (NOT the video music channels - the other channels that basically show pics of the band/singer who is playing). We listen to '70s and '80s tunes (what can I say, the kid loves the classics, lol) and instrumentals, jazz, and classical stations when she was younger. Old faves that I miss are Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood and Super Why. One day, she just lost interest in both. Current faves from Disney are Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Doc McStuffins and (lately) PJ Masks. PBS fave is Curious George. On Sprout she loves Floogals, Earth to Luna, Super Wings, and Ruff Ruff, Tweet & Dave. We go to the playground every day and we go to the library at least twice a week for storytimes and read a lot of library books. We do NOT watch TV or movies in the car or in the grocery store or restaurants, etc.
We didn't allow our kids to watch the DVD players in the car when my kids were younger either. The only time they watch the DVD players are on road trips. We went to FL in August last year and I got them their own players. Best thing I ever did. We also didn't and still don't allow them to bring their Kindles to restaurants. The funny thing is one of the places we go which is near our house has little TV's at each table. They prefer the tables that have them but if we don't get one it's tic tac toe.

Old 04-04-2016, 05:03 PM

499 posts, read 581,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
We didn't allow our kids to watch the DVD players in the car when my kids were younger either. The only time they watch the DVD players are on road trips. We went to FL in August last year and I got them their own players. Best thing I ever did. We also didn't and still don't allow them to bring their Kindles to restaurants. The funny thing is one of the places we go which is near our house has little TV's at each table. They prefer the tables that have them but if we don't get one it's tic tac toe.
I can see watching videos on a long car ride. When we moved from to Florida last year, we watched Super Why videos with my laptop on the plane. What I cannot believe are all of the small children in strollers walking around Target or the mall with their moms watching tablets. But that's a whole other topic

Old 04-04-2016, 05:44 PM

493 posts, read 508,605 times
There isnt anything outright banned but I don't have cable. We use hulu, amazon prime, and netflix so I decide what he is going to watch and I push him toward certain things.

Old 04-14-2016, 08:13 AM

6 posts, read 4,901 times
I agree with banning shows under certain circumstances. My niece is allowed to watch pretty much whatever she wants and she always copies whatever she hears and it's all sassy, insulting stuff. Some banning may have helped. On the other hand, me and my siblings had the same privilege and we weren't like that as kids. I guess what I'm saying is, some kids need to have bans and some don't. If I ever have a kid, I'll just monitor what they watch and see how it affects their behavior.

I disagree with all the Disney bashing I see. The shows are not all that bad. Kids have been scheming in tv shows sense before any child became the star of a show. And parents have always been dumb and clueless. Not on every show but it's certainly not something new. I'm sure I can find 80s and 90s TV shows with dumb parents.

Old 04-14-2016, 10:53 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,136,960 times
My 4 and 6 year olds love baking shows (Cake Boss, Cupcake Wars, etc.), Hobbykids (Youtube), hockey, Tom and Jerry and Teen Titans Go. We don't ban anything outright. They both know how to get on Netflix and Youtube so they usually just find random shows to watch. They love watching Jeopardy with me every night.

Old 04-14-2016, 01:37 PM

98 posts, read 63,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksvillemom View Post
I forgot about Spongebob - kids love it. And old Looney Tunes. PBS Nature. I've started letting my 12 year old watch Modern Family. But still, fave still is Wonder Years

From what I've heard, Spongebob isn't considered cool in certain 5-8 circles now.

I'm not sure if that's because Spongebob has been on so long now that it's considered "establishment" or because that's literally the only good show Nickelodeon has now and they overslot it every night that it gets "old."

I'm also unsure if they are making any new episodes anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting