Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2016, 05:21 PM

2 posts, read 1,154 times

Advertisements

Hi, not sure if this would be more appropriate in parenting but I would really like some thoughts. I have a 30 year old disabled daughter who has passed HS but nothing beyond that. She has very limited ability of her arms and hands and is has asperger's. She has mainly coasted in life and she has had friends that do help her with things. Currently she lives in an apartment with a roommate.

But finding work she can do is difficult, not just because of her being disabled but unlike others she can't just up and move to where better jobs are for obvious reasons. She currently gets SSI at least but when I talk to her she does say she feels depressed seeing others making good money and having extra money for fun. As it is most of her SSI goes towards rent/bills. I do give her a little extra to help but it's certainly not a long-term solution. Her mother died back in '03 and I am really the only support she has.

I just don't know what to do, or how else I can help. I do have a life insurance policy for her but that won't last forever obviously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 10:23 PM

44,251 posts, read 19,906,851 times
My town has a non-profit business that provides jobs for mentally and physically disabled/challenged people. About | Opportunity Enterprises It's an amazing place. I've visited OE several times and have seen firsthand the progress that its clients have made while earning paychecks. It's not a ton of money, but it's a job in a safe environment. OP, perhaps there is a similar enterprise in your area.

Try Googling "employment for disabled" or something similar. Contact your local Chamber of Commerce and ask whether they can point you in the right direction. Hopefully there is someone out there who can help your daughter.

Good luck to you.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 02-08-2016, 10:56 PM

19,480 posts, read 24,951,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Winds View Post
Hi, not sure if this would be more appropriate in parenting but I would really like some thoughts. I have a 30 year old disabled daughter who has passed HS but nothing beyond that. She has very limited ability of her arms and hands and is has asperger's. She has mainly coasted in life and she has had friends that do help her with things. Currently she lives in an apartment with a roommate.

But finding work she can do is difficult, not just because of her being disabled but unlike others she can't just up and move to where better jobs are for obvious reasons. She currently gets SSI at least but when I talk to her she does say she feels depressed seeing others making good money and having extra money for fun. As it is most of her SSI goes towards rent/bills. I do give her a little extra to help but it's certainly not a long-term solution. Her mother died back in '03 and I am really the only support she has.

I just don't know what to do, or how else I can help. I do have a life insurance policy for her but that won't last forever obviously.
Although, she graduated about 10 years ago, you can look back to her IEPs and see what type of post graduation plans she was working on in HS (if neither of you can remember the details). That may help tell both of you the place to get started. At least in my state, IEPs must reflect how the schools are working with the teen to get them ready for whatever they are planning to do after high school.

If that does not help please have her check with state agencies that assist in job training for disabled individuals.

Good luck.

Old 02-09-2016, 06:00 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,088,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
My town has a non-profit business that provides jobs for mentally and physically disabled/challenged people. About | Opportunity Enterprises It's an amazing place. I've visited OE several times and have seen firsthand the progress that its clients have made while earning paychecks. It's not a ton of money, but it's a job in a safe environment. OP, perhaps there is a similar enterprise in your area.

Try Googling "employment for disabled" or something similar. Contact your local Chamber of Commerce and ask whether they can point you in the right direction. Hopefully there is someone out there who can help your daughter.

Good luck to you.

I was going to suggest the same. They will also help with the financial part so she doesn't lose her SSI or any other government benefits she may have.

Old 02-12-2016, 11:53 PM

2 posts, read 1,154 times
Thanks. I will look into it. I just hope she can find something.

Old 02-13-2016, 07:36 AM

9,863 posts, read 13,982,226 times
I have also found that volunteering often can lead to employment. Unfortunately, people are reluctant to hire those with disabilities, because they are not sure they can actually do the job. By volunteering, she shows she is capable.

Old 02-13-2016, 09:29 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,755,318 times
Not sure where you live, but there are businesses that hired disabled adults (not sure about the pay situation).

If you are near San Antonio, TX, check out Morgan's Wonderland. It's a wonderful amusement park for both able and disabled people - totally wheelchair accessible, everything is signed in Braille as well as English, sensory friendly for those with autism. They hire as many disabled people as they can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting