Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 02:54 PM

493 posts, read 511,789 times

Advertisements

Ok so I will re-plan his meals for the day. I do my shopping on thursday. So I should have something put together for him to feed him more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 02:56 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,866,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
He's hungry because you don't feed him enough. Try foods a bit higher in protein. They take longer to digest than carbs and will keep him full longer.
This is a good point.

Try yogurt for breakfast, or cook an egg to go with the bagel or the waffle.

A bean and cheese taco is more filling than a sandwich for lunch. Or find out how much school lunch is and let him eat that...it's usually $2 or less per day.

The peanut butter pretzels mentioned above make a good snack too, more filling than chips. Cheese sticks are also a good snack.

Old 02-09-2016, 02:57 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,946,717 times
That 10:30 lunch was the worst for my kids. It really threw off their eating for the rest of the day. They would be starving after school, and not hungry for dinner 3 hours later, but starving again at bedtime. I just made food available when they wanted it, and fortunately, that schedule was only for a year at a time.

Get used to the food bill though. It only goes up during the teen years.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:00 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,226,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allnaturalkiki View Post
MY son is 6 years old 48lbs and 4'1 and eats all day. He will literally cry two hours after he ate. I understand he takes a lot of activities so I feed him what he needs. But he wants more I always give him food as long as it is somewhat healthy but he still acts like he is starving.

Breakfast: Bagel with cream cheese / or wheat waffle with sausage and a fruit (apples or berries)

Snack (weekends only) yogurt and nuts or pretzels

Lunch is at 10:30 on school days and I pack him a sandwich fruit juice and veggie puffs

I pick him up at 2:20 and feed him at home something like a half a sandwich or like today simple pasta sauce and cheese.

On his way to class/ practice at 4:30 ( karate, football, swimming, piano) I might give him a granola bar or a bag of dried fruit.

He has dinner around 6 a full meal and dessert by 7:30 (cake, parfait, cookies, ect) then bed.

I only give him juice for lunch he has milk, tea or water the rest of the day. Even with him eating pretty often he still acts as if is not enough food. He will tell me he is starving. How can he be hungry? He isn't overweight in anyway. Where is the food going?
My grocery bill has basically doubled with "half" a person.
My 2 year olds ate at least twice the amount of food your 6 year old is allowed. The child is hungry so feed them real, solid food not vegetables alone or crappy puffy whatever those are. Real food with real calories, read carbs, real protein and why do you make him go to bed at 7:30PM? When do you spend any actual time with him? Do you need *that* much *me time*? Our children went to bed right before we did because they had activities and homework but we wanted to spend time with them every night before they had to go to bed.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:07 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,185,222 times
More protein, fewer empty carbs.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:07 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,499,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
My 2 year olds ate at least twice the amount of food your 6 year old is allowed. The child is hungry so feed them real, solid food not vegetables alone or crappy puffy whatever those are. Real food with real calories, read carbs, real protein and why do you make him go to bed at 7:30PM? When do you spend any actual time with him? Do you need *that* much *me time*? Our children went to bed right before we did because they had activities and homework but we wanted to spend time with them every night before they had to go to bed.
This is pretty nasty. Sleep recommended for a 6year old is 10-12hrs a night. Depending on what time they need to get up in the morning 7:30pm is perfectly reasonable.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:11 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,946,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
This is pretty nasty. Sleep recommended for a 6year old is 10-12hrs a night. Depending on what time they need to get up in the morning 7:30pm is perfectly reasonable.
Yes, it is. And the amount of food the OP provides isn't the issue. It's the type of foods, and the hours it's expected to be eaten. One of those issues is easily solved.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
You are not feeding your kid enough food.

Too many carbs and they burn off quickly.

He should have an unlimited supply of milk.

Whole sandwiches, not half sandwiches.

He needs more meat in his diet & more veggies (not puffs -- fresh veggies).

I'm sure he isn't overweight, I wouldn't be surprised if he is underweight.
He eats at least two different types of veggies ( usually a salad and a cooked vegetable) for dinner and he wont eat any meat besides seafood and chicken breast ( I either curry or bbq thats it).
Im not into the force feeding like my parents but I won't make something else either.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I spend from 2:30 with him until bed. I go to every activity with him. I spend plenty time with him. Most working parents get home at 5-6 so I don't see how I don't spend time with him. I also said he goes to bed at 8:30 if you could read properly.
If he doesn't go to bed he will not be up by 7:15. What the hell is your problem?

Old 02-09-2016, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
This is a good point.

Try yogurt for breakfast, or cook an egg to go with the bagel or the waffle.

A bean and cheese taco is more filling than a sandwich for lunch. Or find out how much school lunch is and let him eat that...it's usually $2 or less per day.

The peanut butter pretzels mentioned above make a good snack too, more filling than chips. Cheese sticks are also a good snack.
No eggs (allergic) wont eat beans I have tried every type.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting