Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 08:28 AM

41 posts, read 30,039 times

Advertisements

My sons had chores and if they did not do them then they stayed home and I took away phones, ect. I also stopped washing their clothes and they were responsible for their own washing. It didn't take long for them to do as I asked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 08:49 AM

99 posts, read 93,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I agree. Your daughters, and husband, should have stepped up as soon as you were disabled with your foot injury.

Frankly, you should have been minimizing your cooking for the last nine months and asking your family to help more and more.

In my house, I basically stopped doing major evening meals about the time that my 13 year old daughter became a vegan (no milk, no meat, no fish, no butter). At the time my husband had an extremely limited diet due health reasons (no red meat, no fresh vegetables, limited fresh fruits) and our son had sports so his schedule was all goofed up (loved red meat which I disliked). It ended up that it was almost impossible to find foods, especially main dishes, that all of us could eat.

My children had been making their own breakfasts, during the week, since they were about six. It was a natural progression to making more meals as they were older.
I agree with this.

Most 13 year olds can fix themselves a basic meal. Sandwiches, canned soup or ravioli, even a basic mac n cheese, scrambled eggs, or salad. My mom was a single parent and went back to work when I was 13. I don't remember her cooking me a single meal after that. She was never home.

My kids are pretty coddled, too, but I do make them do chores for me. They know every night they are expected to help with the dishes, sweeping, and taking out the trash. It's just routine now, so no one fusses.

I also lower my expectations. I do have to remind them to do things like empty out their lunchboxes. You can always make a list of responsibilities and post it somewhere where they can reference it on the daily.

Old 02-15-2016, 09:56 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsadaisy View Post
I know how you feel & i sympathize with you. I wish I could get the boys to help clean but they refuse since its for "girls" lol. Whatever that means.
Did I really just read that?

Quote:
I would go on strike but they are so stubborn they would go hungry. That or just eat doritos.
Don't buy doritos!

Old 02-15-2016, 03:31 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,137,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Did I really just read that?

Don't buy doritos!
Yeah they are going through a bratty stage & yeah I dont buy junkfood but other ppl who live in the house do.

Old 02-15-2016, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Yeah they are going through a bratty stage & yeah I dont buy junkfood but other ppl who live in the house do.
I don't generally get involved in the holier than thou threads. But you really let your girls do the housework and the boys "refuse"? Shame on you.

Old 02-15-2016, 04:06 PM

Quote:
I don't generally get involved in the holier than thou threads. But you really let your girls do the housework and the boys "refuse"? Shame on you.
No just I do it lol. And I can't make the kids do anything, thats like pulling teeth. Im the only one that cleans the house and cooks.

Old 02-15-2016, 04:17 PM

Quote:
No just I do it lol. And I can't make the kids do anything, thats like pulling teeth. Im the only one that cleans the house and cooks.
Since you are not, in fact, their parent, I am not sure what the point of your post is.

Old 02-15-2016, 04:26 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,577,283 times
The way I handled it with my boys was to start them working along with me, when they were young--like 5. We would play around, sing songs, etc and get it done. If we were making fruit salad one would peel bananas, another slice them with a plastic knife, another pull grapes off the stem etc. No body had to do it all or do it alone. No perfectionism and not so much work at one time that it was drudgery. This is how we were raised also.

Old 02-15-2016, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Since you are not, in fact, their parent, I am not sure what the point of your post is.
Yeah but I raise them so I was just saying. I know how OP feels & i can sympathize thats all I was saying.

Old 02-16-2016, 07:06 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
She is 22 and is the only one employed in her household. I think she's to be admired for stepping up and making sure her sister's kids are getting some parenting. Most 22 year olds would have packed their bags and headed to greener pastures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting