Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 10:01 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times

Advertisements

This thread reminded me of when my daughter was a few days old and all I knew about being a parent were things I'd read in a book. I was talking to a friend who had 3 kids and I said, "I feel like I should be creating a stimulating environment for her." And my friend laughed and wisely told me, "Just being awake is stimulating for her." That was true--she was looking and listening and taking it all in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 10:08 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,231,525 times
I obviously accidentally posted the wrong list from my notes, I'm sure a parent would not kill their baby by feeding cigarettes or whatever, yeesh!

Old 02-16-2016, 10:12 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,663,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Raspberries!

and peek a boo

seriously.

Old 02-16-2016, 11:10 AM

1,955 posts, read 1,759,388 times
But new mom, I will also say this. There is nothing wrong with getting Baby Einstein and plopping your kid in front of it (safely confined, like in a jumper or pack n play) for a few minutes so you can pee and make a bottle. You do not have to be entertaining your child EVERY SECOND of EVERY DAY. You will go insane. Take a short, quick, break here and there. Obviously don't ignore your child for hours, but if an episode a day keeps your kid happy and gives you a chance to breathe for just a minute, it's really okay.

Old 02-16-2016, 11:12 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Baby Einstein isn't meant to do anything other than expose kids to art and music.

Old 02-16-2016, 11:53 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
I obviously accidentally posted the wrong list from my notes, I'm sure a parent would not kill their baby by feeding cigarettes or whatever, yeesh!
Around here, you never know!

Old 02-16-2016, 01:29 PM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by namelesstraveler View Post
Has anyone tried programs like Baby Einstein or any of these other methods that allegedly stimulate neural activity at an early age? I'm wondering what the criteria is for properly stimulating a newborn's neurons.
I purchased nothing.

What I did do, was spend all of my time with my infants and toddlers. I did not work outside of the home, and if you have that choice - take it! You will never get this time back!

My suggestions are pretty old school - but they worked. Read to them! Even infants are fascinated by words. Books like "Pat the Bunny" are well loved for a reason. There is a tactile component to them, as well as a verbal component. Don't be afraid to read books that are a tad ahead of your child's age. Books that have rhymes and repetition work well. Colorful pictures are a hit.

I also started early on alphabet books of the "A is for apple" variety.

Music! Play any thing you like - and if you don't like Classical music, throw some in anyway. Try Bach. I played everything from the Ramones and Jonathan Richman ("Ice Cream Man" was a big hit with my son) which are simple and repetitive, to modern jazz, experimental music, Reggae, Rap, and Stravinsky. And DANCE to that music!

Sing with you child! Sing the songs, and recite the rhymes that were sung to you. Eeentsy Weenstsy Spider, This Little Piggie, and other traditional songs that are both verbal and physical - are stimulating and are big hits! They love Peek a boo! (sorry for any spelling errors - I have never written these songs, they are oral traditions)

Get down on the floor and PLAY! Blocks and building - both of my children enjoyed my simple wooden building blocks that I had saved all of the years. Let them build and knock it down and build again! Play cars and trucks with them! YES - with your daughter too! Roll the ball back and forth. Crawl around the floor and imitate different animals.

Draw and paint! We had fun making finger paints at home (easy non toxic recipes are available online) Making them was as fun and educational as using them! Make Play Dough - or buy it. DON'T worry if they mix the colors! That's part of the fun.

LIMIT TV!!! If you are going to spend time with your baby, putting them in a baby chair or a play pen while you chat on the phone or go online dors NOT count as "time with mommy".
When you do watch TV - and you will, limit cartoons. I did out of instinct. Then I read something that backed up my instincts. When I grew up, cartoons were available on Saturday AM and perhaps for an hour a day. Now it is possible to watch cartoons ALL DAY LONG.

We watched more live action television and videos, that featured children or animals. My children liked "Veggie Tales" also. It's Christian, based, but very well done, and funny.

Some cartoon classics are wonderful! Disney's "Fantasia" combines brilliant animation with classical music. That animated movie is still a favorite with my children who are now in college.

Take walks and enjoy nature! When weather permits - go outside! Talk and narrate what is there. Name the flowers and trees! Point out the birds - "There's a blue jay" "Look at the robin red breast!" And animals "See the bunny rabbit!" "Look! the squirrel is climbing the tree!" Using "baby words" is not a bad thing. It eases children into language.
Play in the snow! Visit a lake and or a beach! Make a pile of leaves and jump in them!

After all of this, they will be very, very tired. Make bath time fun with a collection of toys. Let them splash and make a mess! It's only water.

At bed time read them a story, and sing them a song. They love repetition.It is comforting.My children both enjoyed "Good Night Moon" at bed time.

And remember, always kiss them good night!

Now, I am feeling nostalgic and a little homesick for a time that sped by too fast. Both of my children are 700 and 900 miles away at home, in college. They are not huggable babies or toddlers with chubby cheeks and baggy Osh Kosh overalls. They are smart and verbal young adults who wear skinny jeans and have many strange and wonderful opinions. They are compassionate and involved in helping others, saving the planet and the world. Hugs are brief and bony. They love to talk though.

Now they point things out to me. It can be interesting. It can be awful. But they are awesome and funny people, who are confident, idealistic and accomplished.

I miss them so much, I will love them forever.

Sorry, when I wrote this, I was not expecting all of this emotion to well up inside, and spill on to my keyboard. But, it did.

Last edited by sheena12; 02-16-2016 at 02:37 PM..

Old 02-16-2016, 01:52 PM

25,567 posts, read 17,275,200 times
Even Einstein was no Einstein when he was a baby.

Old 02-16-2016, 03:52 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
Has anyone tried programs like Baby Einstein or any of these other methods that allegedly stimulate neural activity at an early age? I'm wondering what the criteria is for properly stimulating a newborn's neurons.
Baby Einstein is not a good way to go. Your baby should not have any screen time until they are 2 years old or older according to the APA

Baby Einsteins: Not So Smart After All - TIME

Quote:
Mounting evidence suggests that passive screen sucking not only doesn't help children learn, but could also set back their development. Last spring, Christakis and his colleagues found that by three months, 40% of babies are regular viewers of DVDs, videos or television; by the time they are two years old, almost 90% are spending two to three hours each day in front of a screen. Three studies have shown that watching television, even if it includes educational programming such as Sesame Street, delays language development. "Babies require face-to-face interaction to learn," says Dr. Vic Strasburger, professor of pediatrics at the University of New Mexico School of Medicine and a spokesperson for the American Academy of Pediatrics. "They don't get that interaction from watching TV or videos. In fact, the watching probably interferes with the crucial wiring being laid down in their brains during early development."

Old 02-16-2016, 05:15 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
The Baby Einstein program was debunked YEARS ago:

Disney Offers Baby Einstein Refunds After Alleged False Advertising

I don't know if they've cleaned up their act but you'd be best to practice some skepticism with them or ANY program purporting to do something that you can do yourself by reading to and interacting with your baby. It's just as neglectful to put baby in front of this crap all day as a tv.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting