Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 03:52 PM

2,163 posts, read 1,550,245 times

Advertisements

This is an emergency situation.

Young girls are for some reason easily infatuated with BS, easily misled by obviously negative people. It's only a matter of time before your daughter--god forbid--winds up impregnated by one of the opportunists I'm sure the friend is attracted to.

I wish you all the best--I hate seeing good kids led down a path of ignorance by some 'cool' loser. Try to give your child a raw, uncut idea of where this friend of hers is going to be ten years from now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2016, 03:55 PM

2,163 posts, read 1,550,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
A few pages back, some body said that the older woman may be "grooming her " for sexual reasons.

Now that it comes out that the 21 year old is working as an exotic dancer, the reality is more likely to be......The kid is being groomed for future prostitution activity. Its a variation on the pimp thing, except the one who "turns her out " could be the 21 year old woman. Its not unusual for a woman to run some girls on a full time or part time basis.

In any case. MON needs to go and talk to the Police in her town. Lay it all out, don't hide anything.

If I was a Police investigator ( I was at one time but I am now retired ) I would be hearing these things, smoking dope, underage use of alcohol, sexual work location of the 21 year old ( morality ) , defiance by the 15 year old, and threats . ALL of those are actionable criminal charges.

Mom needs to cut this off at the heels, now.

Jim B.
Repeated and bolded for emphasis. I would lay down money that this is what's going on.

Old 02-19-2016, 03:56 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,942,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Jean McGee View Post
Itd be called grooming if a guy did it.
It's called grooming when a gal does it too.

Old 02-19-2016, 04:47 PM

1,951 posts, read 1,636,212 times
I think some of the other recent posters have a point. Short-term, you may need to consult with a lawyer to see what kind of legal trouble your daughter could get in. I'm not a lawyer, but I would think your daughter is more of the victim due to her minor status, and the 21 year old gets the brunt of the charges (of the "contributing to the delinquency of a minor" persuasion).

I still think your daughter needs to see the ugly side of what she's getting into. That way, it'll be easier for her in case you DO need to get the police involved. After all, if this is grooming, your daughter may not be the first (or last).

Old 02-19-2016, 04:51 PM

13,419 posts, read 9,950,386 times
I'm worried about heroin. OP I'd move. This sounds like it could have dire lifelong consequences, if not potential life ending ones.

Old 02-19-2016, 05:38 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,138,783 times
I hung out with a rough crowd when I was a teenager. My parents didn't really care, but I self-regulated when I saw that serious trouble the people in that crowd got themselves into. Premature pregnancies, trouble with the law, being in bad situations with dangerous people...I saw that the fleeting thrill just wasn't worth any of that, and I distanced myself naturally.

Maybe make a rule that they can hang out together, but only at your house when you or her dad is there.

Old 02-19-2016, 11:46 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,917,875 times
At 15, I thought it was fun exploring the dark side, and that nothing bad would happen to me.

If a 21 year old stripper had paid attention to me (I'm a guy), I would have latched on like a remora shark. I would have been easy prey for anyone with bad intentions.

I have nothing against stripping, and some strippers are decent people, but this woman sounds like trouble. She can't even be recruiting strippers for her club because you have to be 18 to strip. There is something else going on, and it isn't good. Get your daughter away from her.

Old 02-20-2016, 04:44 AM

1,110 posts, read 896,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelone43 View Post
My daughter told me she works as a stripper which I don't like to judge but I know what kind of seedy people they hang around.
Aaargh! This gets worse and worse! My thought is that you need to find a good private boarding school for your daughter ASAP! Unfortunately, the more that you disparage/protest this person, the more attractive she is likely to be to your daughter, who is at a rebellious age.

You need to discover what is missing in your daughter's life that she seeks the attention of this corrupting person. Perhaps you can provide a distraction for daughter -what are her interests?

Old 02-20-2016, 08:22 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numberfive View Post
This is a tough one! Everyone has different suggestions, I don't think there's a right or wrong answer here.

If it was my daughter in this situation though, here's how I'd look at it:
Moving should be a last resort -- I wouldn't want to show A) you can run from your problems, and B) the bond might be strong enough now that the 21 year old will just drive to visit.
Don't forbid your daughter from seeing her friend -- forbidding the daughter to hang out with the 21 year old is a great way to keep the taboo and mystery alive, that'll only push your daughter TO the bad influence faster. It'll also breed her resentment to you, because she clearly doesn't see why this behavior is wrong yet.
Don't get the police involved. It would be too easy for your daughter to get roped in. Depending on the state, she could get a criminal record too. It'd be harder to apply for jobs, colleges, etc.

Instead...
Try volunteer work (even together if possible) -- your daughter just sees the fun and mystery of today, not the consequences of tomorrow. If she can interact with people who are trying to put their lives back together after going down that path, it might inspire her more. Plus it looks good on college applications, because it builds character. Maybe she could invite her friend too?
Continue to be a positive role model -- it's not your fault as a parent that she's exploring the dark side, but it is your responsibility to continue showing her the light. Your success wasn't forged through drug use and underage drinking.

I'm mulling over other options, since there are bound to be others... hope this helps!
Too risky. This is her young teen daughter, not an experiment.

Old 02-20-2016, 08:24 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelone43 View Post
Thanks everyone! Do you think I should actually confront the girl and let her know if I see her with my daughter again I'll call the police? I admit it never dawned on me that she could be trying to prostitute my daughter, I have to admit even as weird as it is I wouldn't think my daughter hanging around an older girl could be as bad as some boy.

And you are right about the clothes could be stolen, never thought about that. My daughter told me she works as a stripper which I don't like to judge but I know what kind of seedy people they hang around.
Mom...qet on this...you are way to passive...your daughter is totally at risk. Go to the police...have them come to your house and talk to your daughter, call them every time your daughter is unruly with this neighbor...paper trail for charges pending.

I hope this neighbor sees the police...I think it might be a big deterrent.

Make sure your daughter knows you love her, and want to protect her...just in case this 21 year old already has something to blackmail her with. Make sure she knows you'll believe her.

I am seriously worried for your situation...3 mths of this...anything could have happened already. Mom get Dad, Uncles whole family involved...you need the support.

Also, find out what agency works with human trafficking or ex-prostitutes or street kids in your area, go tell them your situation...you will get help. There was a lot of info online, organizations and help against human trafficking. Here are a few links
https://polarisproject.org/
http://www.state.gov/j/tip/id/help/
https://www.themuse.com/advice/the-f...an-trafficking

Last edited by JanND; 02-20-2016 at 08:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting