Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 05:27 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,771,280 times

Advertisements

My mom a baby boomer is more like a ww2 generation parent in her behavior, world view, etc. I was raised accordingly. She got injured due to a fall recently. It put into perspective that she is aging. It is part of life, but I try to enjoy her while she is here. My wife would be a wreck if anything happened to her parents. I would be okay, cycle of life etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2016, 09:25 AM

34,915 posts, read 31,054,582 times
Yes, my parents will be 59 this year, but I'm getting older as well. Dad really doesn't look or feel any different than ten years ago, but my mother has gained considerable weight and has a lot harder time getting around.

3/4 grandparents still alive, all of which are 80 or older as of this year. They're not in bad shape for 80, but I know I'll probably lose at least one in five years, and they'll probably all be done in ten years.

Old 03-03-2016, 11:39 AM

2,202 posts, read 2,123,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just.No View Post
Does it ever make you sad that your parents are getting older?

I do not understand the question. Whether you are 20, 40, 60 or 80, each year you get another year older. People who have been here a longer time have had more opportunities to enjoy life, people who have not lived as long hopefully have more opportunities in their futures. But who would be sad about age. If you had a parent who was near death, I get it. But even the late parents of millenials are barely in their 50s, plenty of life left to enjoy.

Old 03-06-2016, 02:57 PM

4,857 posts, read 5,793,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just.No View Post
Does it ever make you sad that your parents are getting older?
I've more concern about things I kniw getting older, such as musicians, and whatnot. A day or two ago was Pokemons 20th anniversary, my fiancee like sto makes jokes, cause she's 22.

Old 03-08-2016, 07:04 AM

359 posts, read 475,581 times
Nope. My parents are terrible people and I had to remove them from my life because it was putting stress that I don't need. They could be dead, and I wouldn't know or care.

Old 03-08-2016, 07:07 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,203,607 times
That is sad

Old 03-11-2016, 10:05 AM

80 posts, read 79,287 times
Yes.

My mom just passed away at 56, but she had cancer for 9 years. It was really weird being in hs/college and taking care of someone who you had looked up to for support for so long. Like the roles reversed suddenly.

This was especially weird, as with so many of my friends, I graduated, couldn't find a job, spent some time in the military, then went back to school for a second degree. Graduated again, and finally got a job after 110+ applications.

So, I was struggling the whole time, but trying to be there to take care of her. It just makes me upset.

My dad, grandma, etc. are getting older, and my friends and I aren't really being all that "successful." I finally got a foothold in the economy and I'm blessed now, but many of my friends are still working unpaid internships, etc. and I know it's hard for their parents as well, who wanted to see them succeed.

I just wanted there to be some kind of in between time, where things were alright with us and things were alright with them, but it felt like things changed suddenly.

At least my mom was there to see me get married. That matters more than anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting