Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 05:31 AM

480 posts, read 664,756 times

Advertisements

My 5 year old has just discovered the joy of step-by-step arts and crafts. I think it great. Give her a tub of materials, some options for projects, and if she's in the right mood, she'll create something out of the book.

She also loves building Lego, carefully following the directions to build the item out of the Lego bits in the box.

Problem is, Lego projects are too expensive, at $10 - $15. And we only have 1 tub of art materials with up to 54 projects. She'll probably make 5 or so of them before she wants to go onto other things.

Second problem is, my wife and I both work and we're strapped on time. We don't have time to go buy lots of art and craft supplies and wouldn't really want to purchase a lot of that anyway.

What can we do to support my daughters interest in step-by-step crafts?

Are there good books with craft options that my 5 year old can do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2016, 06:47 AM

3,167 posts, read 3,981,417 times
About legos, we discovered some books you can buy that take the legos you have and tell you how to make new things out of them. Check Amazon for that.

Old 02-27-2016, 07:43 AM

4,977 posts, read 5,727,119 times
Buy some of the following:

pipe cleaners
felt
pom poms
markers
crayons
glue
paper
craft sticks
rubber bands
yarn
googly eyes
etc.

save toilet paper tubes, paper towel tubes, and newspaper.

Tell her to create.

Regarding the Legos, there is no need to buy the kits. Simply buy a tub of pieces. Search for "Lego tub" and lots of choices come up. Again, tell her to create.

Kids come up with the best ideas using their imagination and creativity, not simply following step by step instructions.

Old 02-27-2016, 07:44 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,093,264 times
Stop buying "projects" and just get supplies. Our kids spent hours with construction paper, scissors, glue sticks and markers/crayons. At 5 years old, making 5 "projects" is good. They have the attention span of a flea at that age so moving from activity to activity is normal.

Go to garage sales in the summers to buy legos.

Are your jobs really that important that you can't spend an hour every so often looking for art supplies? I hope that you didn't really mean it the way it came out?

Old 02-27-2016, 09:22 AM

13,975 posts, read 25,839,073 times
Thrift stores have everything you need for crafts, including brand new, unopened kits, books, and all sorts of supplies. You have to be lucky to find Legos, but they do come in.

Old 02-27-2016, 09:30 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,095,502 times
take your pic...this ought to help
https://www.google.com/search?q=rain...sm=93&ie=UTF-8

https://www.google.com/search?q=onli...sm=93&ie=UTF-8

https://www.google.com/search?q=educ...sm=93&ie=UTF-8

Old 02-27-2016, 10:16 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,687,672 times
Treat it like any other interest your child has and buy the supplies. What do you mean, you don't have time to shop for supplies? Just buy them when you do your other shopping.

We always kept bins of scissors, glue, playdoh, glitter, construction paper, old magazines, poster board, stickers, crayons, markers, pastels, poster paint, watercolor kits, etc. Now that mine are teens, my son has lost interest in drawing and art, but my daughter has graduated to Copic markets and other real art supplies.

You just support your kids' interests and see what happens. Sometimes it fizzles out, and other times they stay interested for many years.

Old 02-27-2016, 10:35 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,779,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredtired View Post
My 5 year old has just discovered the joy of step-by-step arts and crafts. I think it great. Give her a tub of materials, some options for projects, and if she's in the right mood, she'll create something out of the book.

She also loves building Lego, carefully following the directions to build the item out of the Lego bits in the box.

Problem is, Lego projects are too expensive, at $10 - $15. And we only have 1 tub of art materials with up to 54 projects. She'll probably make 5 or so of them before she wants to go onto other things.

Second problem is, my wife and I both work and we're strapped on time. We don't have time to go buy lots of art and craft supplies and wouldn't really want to purchase a lot of that anyway.

What can we do to support my daughters interest in step-by-step crafts?

Are there good books with craft options that my 5 year old can do?
Use recycled materials. My kids at that age loved to create with:

1. toilet paper rolls
2. paper towel rolls
3. tissue paper - especially colored tissue paper
4. wrapping paper scraps
5. old magazines with pictures in them
6. egg cartons (our preschoolers made caterpillars and butterflies with these when they were reading The Very Hungry Caterpillar)
7. ribbons and strings
8. flowers or weeds from the garden or your lawn
9. pine cones
10. leaves
11. old clothing that you cut up for the scraps of material
12. yarn scraps
13. plastic water bottles
14. pop tops from aluminum cans or the cans themselves
15. paper plates
16. old newspapers - especially the comics.

1000+ Recycled Crafts: Crafting with Recyclable Items | FaveCrafts.com

Old 02-27-2016, 10:40 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,001,042 times
Add 30 minutes to your grocery shopping day and go get supplies or order supplies from amazon so they can be delivered to your home. You don't need anything formal, you just need supplies and your child can create her own projects.

Old 02-27-2016, 12:00 PM

19,480 posts, read 24,983,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Use recycled materials. My kids at that age loved to create with:

1. toilet paper rolls
2. paper towel rolls
3. tissue paper - especially colored tissue paper
4. wrapping paper scraps
5. old magazines with pictures in them
6. egg cartons (our preschoolers made caterpillars and butterflies with these when they were reading The Very Hungry Caterpillar)
7. ribbons and strings
8. flowers or weeds from the garden or your lawn
9. pine cones
10. leaves
11. old clothing that you cut up for the scraps of material
12. yarn scraps
13. plastic water bottles
14. pop tops from aluminum cans or the cans themselves
15. paper plates
16. old newspapers - especially the comics.

1000+ Recycled Crafts: Crafting with Recyclable Items | FaveCrafts.com

My kids also just used stuff from around the house. We also kept a supple of pipe cleaners, pom poms, crayons, markers, paints, construction paper and glue and you can create almost anything.

Most libraries have books that you can check out with project ideas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting