Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 09:48 PM

1 posts, read 930 times

Advertisements

Hey all, i just joined here. My company has transferred me to Switzerland of all the places. i have two kids at 10 and 5. I am really worried how they are going to adapt to new place. The culture ,the whether everything is different there. I have a relocation agent Armstrong moving who will help me in moving overseas process to find a place to live and they have some school recommendations as well.. but i am really worried about how to prepare my kids. i heard that locals speak German a lot. We may have a problem with that too.Please help me. if anyone has done this before please share some tips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2016, 12:23 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,758,510 times
You're moving to a foreign country & you're worried that the locals speak German a lot ! The nerve of them- speaking their own language - lol

They actually speak a variant/dialect of German known as Swiss German. However reading and writing is in standard German. Most Swiss, especially the well educated, also speak English, usually beautifully. If you're going to live in another country, it's always wise to try to learn as much of the local language as possible. That means you & your kids.

Your kids will be fine. You can send them to local schools, where instruction will be in German, with English as a second language or you can send them to an international school, where instruction will be in English. If things haven't changed much, international schools offer a sort of AP program similar to an American curriculum or an IB program. The latter, IMO, would be the better program if the kids may need or want to go to college in Europe.

Whatever you do, get the kids into German classes. The little one will pick it up very quickly, the older, with just slightly more difficulty. You want them to feel comfortable in local society, have Swiss friends, be able to get around the country as they get older.

Don't worry about the kids- they will adjust quickly. It will be more difficult for you. Use the internet as a resource on Swiss customs and how daily life may differ. If you look upon this as an adventure, so will the kids. If you continue with fear and trepidation so will your kids. Try to see this as a wonderful opportunity for your kids to live abroad in another first world country, become fluent in other languages and to visit other nearby countries. Good luck

Old 03-03-2016, 03:13 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,001,275 times
Yeah I laughed at that too. But the kids will do fine..through school they will pick up German quite quickly.

Old 03-03-2016, 04:27 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,477,418 times
The most important part of a child's integration into a new area or country is their parents attitude. If the parents are afraid, the kids will pick up on it. You need to show them before during and after that the move is a fantastic opportunity and will be a great adventure. I think the adventure part is a great way to frame the move. Get books at the library and an atlas or a map of Europe and show them all the things you can see and do in advance of the move.

There will be so many things to experience and people to meet. I bet you find that children are very loved in Europe and will find many friends in adults and other children.

Remember, you will be the one with the biggest impact on how they handle the whole thing.

You are very lucky.

Old 03-03-2016, 05:02 AM

12,107 posts, read 23,274,107 times
Its a great opportunity for them. The people I've talked to who were in military families said living in foreign countries was an amazing experience.

A lot of people in Western Europe speak English and, from what I have read, the schools are very accommodating.

Oh, I almost forgot, I knew a guy who got an assignment in Switzerland; he said it was the best gig he ever got.

Old 03-03-2016, 05:57 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,116,625 times
I have a friend who's husband was transferred to Switzerland when their kids were just starting middle school and just starting high school. It was supposed to be a 2 year assignment, they opted for 3 more years. They LOVED it. I followed their weekend adventures all over Europe and Africa for those years. The kids went to an American school and they found that the language barrier was not an issue at all. His company paid all of their house expenses in the US while they were there so they did not have to pack or sell their things so that helped. They had a family member live in their home while they were gone and they rented a place in Switzerland, also paid for by the company. They were also given 5 round-trips to come back to the US each year so that was nice.

Old 03-03-2016, 11:58 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,183,656 times
I have a close friend that lived in Basel for several years. He used to post things on Facebook like "should I have dinner in France or Germany tonight?"

This will be a wonderful opportunity for your kids and entire family. Enjoy!

Old 03-03-2016, 12:21 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,344,730 times
What a wonderful opportunity for your family. I would suggest that you do not try to emulate your lifestyle in the US, but get as immersed as possible in the culture. Too many people move to a foreign country, but want the mcmansion, huge yard, everyone gets their own bedroom and bath, etc. People in other parts of the world do not live like that.

Children can happily live in the city center, share a bedroom, and play at the local park. It is one of the best things for them.

Just enjoy the entire experience, meet people, eat the food, and just get out and walk.

Old 03-03-2016, 01:30 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
What a wonderful opportunity for your family. I would suggest that you do not try to emulate your lifestyle in the US, but get as immersed as possible in the culture. Too many people move to a foreign country, but want the mcmansion, huge yard, everyone gets their own bedroom and bath, etc. People in other parts of the world do not live like that.

Children can happily live in the city center, share a bedroom, and play at the local park. It is one of the best things for them.

Just enjoy the entire experience, meet people, eat the food, and just get out and walk.

I agree.

Can I come, too?

Old 03-03-2016, 03:06 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,904,216 times
You're moving to one of the best countries in the world! Your kids are lucky. They will live in a place that has many similarities to here but will really open their eyes. I would understand your trepidation a bit more if you said you were moving to somewhere like Honduras, or Cambodia - (which would be interesting as well) but Switzerland??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting