Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 04:58 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,407,466 times

Advertisements

Thank you notes are polite and always in good taste (though I say that knowing that there's at least two or three posters on this forum that would actually be offended if they received one, especially if it were addressed to "Mr. & Mrs."). LOL!

Until my girls are old enough to write their own, I do it for them, from ME, not from them with some dopey child-like writing...LOL...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 06:05 PM

12,420 posts, read 3,232,082 times
My daughter received a local scholarship for college and just called me to ask the address so she could send a thank you note. Oh yeah, I'm proud of her..

Old 02-12-2008, 10:03 PM

47 posts, read 151,216 times
We send thank you notes...all the time. My kids are 5 and 2 so I have done the writing but I make them either draw a pic or now, my 5 year old cane address the cards. I even have people tell me when they give us a gift, "You don't have to send a thank you card!" Because they now I will....without fail!

Old 02-12-2008, 10:29 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,124,720 times
No kids yet but as an adult, I still send a hand-written thank you note for any gift we're given. I don't think it's old-fashioned - it's just GOOD MANNERS...something that seems to be greatly lacking in society today!

I personally appreciate receiving acknowledgement that a gift has been received - otherwise I wonder if it's even made it to the recipient!

We no longer send gifts to a set of niece/nephew. They are now in the early 20s and even as teens never once acknowledged the Christmas, birthday or graduation gifts that we sent them. I don't think it takes that much effort to acknowledge that someone has taken the time to pick out a gift and send it, kwim?

Old 02-13-2008, 03:45 AM

1,032 posts, read 4,264,415 times
I don't think thank you notes are a thing of the past - we send them and receive them.

However, from reading your post, I think you have bigger issues with your family dynamics that go far beyond thank you notes.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:01 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,928,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Thank you notes are polite and always in good taste (though I say that knowing that there's at least two or three posters on this forum that would actually be offended if they received one, especially if it were addressed to "Mr. & Mrs."). LOL!

Until my girls are old enough to write their own, I do it for them, from ME, not from them with some dopey child-like writing...LOL...

My grandmother loves getting the dopey ones! LOL. "Oh, it looks like Sabrina wrote this all by herself." She's two.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:21 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,870,812 times
Our families both live close and have always told us not to bother with thank you notes b/c I used to do them when my son was small. He personally thanks each person and gives them a hug. We don't have any family or friends that aren't near us so he actually sees them to thank them. I do have him write thank you notes to friends for gifts (he's 8 so he does them) and we have always done that. I told him it's something they didn't have to do so he has to take the time to show his appreciation. I think with technology, email would be fine too for those who have relatives/friends long distance. Some people don't raise their children the same way and you can't always blame them for the sins of their parents.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:35 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,928,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsmom View Post
Our families both live close and have always told us not to bother with thank you notes b/c I used to do them when my son was small. He personally thanks each person and gives them a hug. We don't have any family or friends that aren't near us so he actually sees them to thank them. I do have him write thank you notes to friends for gifts (he's 8 so he does them) and we have always done that. I told him it's something they didn't have to do so he has to take the time to show his appreciation. I think with technology, email would be fine too for those who have relatives/friends long distance. Some people don't raise their children the same way and you can't always blame them for the sins of their parents.
I think as long as they convey their thanks in some way, most people are ok with that. Written note, phone call, e-mail-it's the recognition and showing appreciation for the kind act that people are hoping for-I think anyway. I've never really heard anybody complain, "Oh little johnny just SAID thank you, he didn't write it."

Old 02-13-2008, 09:12 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,750,636 times
You know what peeves me are those form thank you cards that the stationary places sell now. They go:

Dear ______________
Thanks so much for coming to my ____________ party!
Thank you for the _________________.

Your friend, _________________

I would rather get a phone call, an in-person thanks, get to watch the child opening the gift while I'm there, an email, anything other than one of those.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:38 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,870,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc3217 View Post
You know what peeves me are those form thank you cards that the stationary places sell now. They go:

Dear ______________
Thanks so much for coming to my ____________ party!
Thank you for the _________________.

Your friend, _________________

I would rather get a phone call, an in-person thanks, get to watch the child opening the gift while I'm there, an email, anything other than one of those.

When my son was just learning to write, we used these. It let me give him the responsibility of doing them but wasn't overwhelming. Now that he's 8, he gets blank ones. For older kids, these are nuts. But for the little ones, I think they are great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting