Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 02:18 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,800,858 times

Advertisements

Why does the reason matter? If you're content with your decision then the why really isn't relevant. Live your life as you choose and don't worry about it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2016, 02:27 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,423,924 times
Some people just dont want the responsibility. Some just legitimately have no interest in kids. Some have bad memories or deep issues. Some are just to vein.

I HAD a sister in law that was so vein and into herself that it just wasnt possible for her to love anyone else other than herself. Not even her EX husband.

Old 03-14-2016, 02:39 PM

6,578 posts, read 4,966,508 times
I have never really wanted them but it wasn't until my early 30's that I was able to confidently say that to people who asked. I'd just say "none now but you never know...."

Honestly, I just don't like kids that much. Once in awhile I meet one that I click with (could be any age). The thought of not clicking with my own kid was terrifying. Add the expense and all that fun stuff - no thanks!

For that matter, after my first marriage where I was a stepmom for a few years, I made it a point never to get involved with men who had kids. Just too much drama.

Old 03-14-2016, 06:09 PM

7,182 posts, read 9,313,073 times
The decision to have a child is one of the biggest decisions in life. Once you've done that you're on the hook for life.

You can divorce your spouse but you can't divorce your child. So think about the decision before you commit.

I can say for sure that if you don't want kids, don't do it.

Oh, and the costs are incalculable. But so are the benefits.

Old 03-14-2016, 07:28 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,688,437 times
If u can teach 'em to cook and clean it'll be worth it cuz u made your own little maids/slaves

Old 03-14-2016, 08:00 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,738,262 times
Kids are huge responsibility! When my husband and I got married we did not want children. You really have to give up a lot of yourself Nd your wants become secondary. After five years we both changed your mind now have two beautiful children and are very happy! Parenting is not for everyone and there's nothing wrong with not being a parent.

Old 03-14-2016, 08:14 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,370,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STWR View Post
I don't think there's just one reason for it, but here are some ideas:

1. Because it requires people to be responsible and stop living their lives purely for themselves. This doesn't apply to people with poor impulse control, of course.

2. Because you're afraid of becoming your own father.

3. Because you feel like other things are more important.

4. Because you're afraid of change.

And more...
While I do agree with your initial statement....It actually go further that adult male who thinks like your 4 examples.

There are some whether it was never nurtured/demonstrating in their formative years..nor exposed to child care ( babysitting) or being around kids ( large family/relatives) of younger and older ones who would role model to them.

Then of course their a possibility that it just isn't in their DNA..lack of interest..NOT hatred..But less tolerance of dealing with "Kid Stuff" that they experience growing up..

For the OP..Don't blame yourself for feeling this way..There is a good portion out there that feel this way. Back in the day..Folks like you loved kids ( as long as they weren't their own)..because they could go home after an few hours..not have to have those day to day worries about them..didn't have their lives having to be co-orordinating constantly ..THIS list goes on and on!! I say, that you for acknowledging it..BUT having said that..Please do NOT take any chances then..Procreating a new life morally demands that you care financially care for them..SO why nip that in the bud..

OP~~ I wish you peace of mind as there is just nothing wrong with you at all as I stated above...just hope your partner in life understands!!

Old 03-14-2016, 08:15 PM

749 posts, read 852,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
If u can teach 'em to cook and clean it'll be worth it cuz u made your own little maids/slaves
Dang!! Never thought of that, ! I am happy to be child-free and married to the same person for more than 40 years. We choose a lifestyle, it did not include all that responsibility, expense, etc, etc that having kids requires. No regrets so far.

Old 03-14-2016, 08:36 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,487,749 times
Not everyone likes kids. Honestly, I don't much like them anymore in my old age. They're demanding, messy, expensive and you can't take them back.

Old 03-14-2016, 08:38 PM

108 posts, read 290,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taluffen View Post
If it makes you feel better humans have been trying to control pregnancy for as long as there has been written record, and probably a few hundred thousand years before that. There is some evidence Neanderthals actively practiced infanticide to control their populations.

It may actually be a near universal train among humans to control their birth rate. Since humans have no mating season ,in theory, kids can be born anytime. We also have an exceptionally long period between childhood and adulthood, which means a certain populace percentage cannot actively contribute resources to the tribe, but will actively use said resources. It actually makes sense for humans to want to limit their offspring to levels they feel they can actually rear, or in some case, never have.
Hmm very interesting theory, and it makes a lot of sense. Thanks for your insight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting