Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 07:29 PM

389 posts, read 422,147 times

Advertisements

Germaine,

As for the wardrobe... We only buy her new clothes when she outgrows the old ones, and since she's slowed down on the growing that's happening less often. Anything she buys in between our purchases has to come out of her allowance or b-day/Christmas money. So she's stuck with a mostly black wardrobe for awhile! :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2016, 07:42 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,142,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spchtx View Post
Germaine,

As for the wardrobe... We only buy her new clothes when she outgrows the old ones, and since she's slowed down on the growing that's happening less often. Anything she buys in between our purchases has to come out of her allowance or b-day/Christmas money. So she's stuck with a mostly black wardrobe for awhile! :-)
Thanks for responding. From the way that you wrote the thread I was concerned that she did not have any consequences for changing her mind about her wardrobe.

Old 03-20-2016, 07:50 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spchtx View Post
Thank you all for your input. My husband did suggest as an alternative just keeping it, and my initial thought was "What a waste of money." However, looking at it through the lens you have all presented, that does make the most sense. I've learned my lesson as well, and gifts will be smaller scale, and either from a written request or just money.
Yes, the gift is given, and you gave her what you honestly thought she wanted, with confirmation. Don't feel bad. Next time, she will learn to be more clear about what she asks for. When this happened in my youth, my dad would "remind" me for the next 20 years how "Well, remember that time you wanted ____ and then when you got it?" Maybe you could annoy her in that way--bet it would stop her asking for whimsical interests

Old 03-20-2016, 08:51 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
This could be my daughter! OP I hear what you are saying. It's more how to teach your daughter to be more thoughtful and not flakey on her decisions. You took time to get her exactly what she wanted, and she turns it around to blame you.

So familiar! I am trying to figure out what to do for that as well.

Old 03-20-2016, 11:19 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,491,098 times
She's definitely an entitled child. I certainly wouldn't give her any money for the camera. But, rather than argue with hubby, let it gather dust.

But, really, quit second guessing gifts with her. It's time to set some type of boundary. Even if it's just, "You need to let us know by X date what you want within this budget." Then give her that and don't let her change her mind.

But, really, she's spoiled. The biggest challenge for you, though, is dealing with hubby.

I so don't envy your position.

Old 03-21-2016, 06:49 AM

12,841 posts, read 9,041,939 times
No real problem here. She's 14. Pretty much sums it up. Mood swings and wild changes of direction are par for the course. Even for the poster who already has her a college drop out, how many kids know at 14 what they plan to do with their lives? Every kid is different. I have one who's stayed on target since kindergarten and one who changes his mind on a weekly basis.

Old 03-21-2016, 07:44 AM

4,992 posts, read 5,287,862 times
I agree. Let the camera gather dust. Love it or hate it, it is hers.

Your daughter actually had a hand in choosing her gift. I've been given things before that I did not request and did not really want. I politely let it sit and didn't comment. I cannot tell you how offensive it was for the giver to come back and start using or take back what I had been given. I found it really controlling.

Old 03-21-2016, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post

But, really, she's spoiled. The biggest challenge for you, though, is dealing with hubby.

I so don't envy your position.

It is a challenge! He came from an abusive home and his parents spent more money on booze than on anything else. By the grace of God, he has pulled himself up by his bootstraps, and went from a HS drop out to having a Master's degree. He's always wanted his kids to have a better life than he did. So sometimes he has blinders on to what they are given. When they were smaller, it wasn't such a big deal because it was just little things. Now that they are older, and the stuff they want is more expensive, I find us disagreeing on this stuff more often! It's a work in progress!

Old 03-21-2016, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
No real problem here. She's 14. Pretty much sums it up. Mood swings and wild changes of direction are par for the course. Even for the poster who already has her a college drop out, how many kids know at 14 what they plan to do with their lives? Every kid is different. I have one who's stayed on target since kindergarten and one who changes his mind on a weekly basis.
Mood swings!!!! She's always been my mellow/balanced child. A little emotional with her feelings getting hurt, but otherwise even keel. Then 13 hit, and wow! The hormonal changes have rocked her. I naively thought she was going to be my easy teenager! Somedays it's like living with Jekyll and Hyde.

Old 03-21-2016, 06:08 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,905,442 times
How great that she is trying on a lot of different hats. This is the time when she is experimenting with being different kinds of "people". This is common and very healthy.

While you don't want to encourage her every whim, as long as there are boundaries, limits, and consequences what is happening with her is a good thing. It's great that she has passion and is exploring her world.

As far as the camera, it's hers. You gave it to her as a gift. It is for her to do with what she pleases. Maybe she wants to keep it. Maybe she wants to sell it. Nothing wrong with having a conversation with her about what she wants to do with it and maybe mentioning that she should pay more attention in telling you what she would like for gifts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting