Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 12:40 PM

480 posts, read 668,315 times

Advertisements

What, if anything, do we need to do in our house to help it be a conducive environment for someone entering kindergarten?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2016, 01:10 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Good meals, regular bedtime and lots of playtime.

Talk TO your child. Ask your child questions and listen to his/her opinion.

Teach them self-control.

Old 03-27-2016, 01:11 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,185,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Good meals, regular bedtime and lots of playtime.
^^ This

Old 03-27-2016, 01:27 PM

162 posts, read 213,120 times
Agree with others but will add...teach them to manage going to the bathroom and open packages independently.

Old 03-27-2016, 04:56 PM

311 posts, read 348,390 times
Kids need lots of play and unstructured time. Try to keep evenings and weekends unstructured as much as possible. Kids are often over-scheduled and some even get homework in kindergarten (yuck!)

Old 03-27-2016, 04:56 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,389,294 times
A night time routine is key. Go to bed and get up at the same time every day. (Even on the weekends!)

Have you child eat a good breakfast, send a nutritious snack if they do that, and a lunch that's easy for little ones to open.

Set out clothes the night before and pack their backpack at night.

Practice reading, writing, and math in fun ways. You can write a grocery list and have your child write one. Play games like..."I spy" using rhymes or initial sounds.

I spy, with my little eye, something that rhymes with tar. ( car)
Or
I spy, with my little eye, something that starts with /b/. (Bed)

They can go on a number, letter, or word hunt around the house and car. When they find one, they record it in a little spiral. You can get them at the dollar store.

Practice writing their first name, last name, and other important words.

Old 03-27-2016, 05:06 PM

480 posts, read 668,315 times
I'm sorry, I don't think I phrased my question quite right.

I'm wondering what do we need to do with our physical environment at home to have a home that is ready to support a kindergarten student. For example, do we need a desk area (appropriate size for a child) for our child? It's probably too young for "homework" but do they need an area to work on projects at home? Is there anything else with our physical environment that our child will need, so I can work on getting it setup prior to kindergarten?

Old 03-27-2016, 05:19 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredtired View Post
I'm sorry, I don't think I phrased my question quite right.

I'm wondering what do we need to do with our physical environment at home to have a home that is ready to support a kindergarten student. For example, do we need a desk area (appropriate size for a child) for our child? It's probably too young for "homework" but do they need an area to work on projects at home? Is there anything else with our physical environment that our child will need, so I can work on getting it setup prior to kindergarten?
A desk would be good. There will be homework, even in kinder. I'm sure most people do homework at the kitchen table. My kids did theirs on the dining room table for quite a while. I think it's helpful to have the space in the living area so you can help. Homework is a group activity for several years.

Old 03-27-2016, 05:22 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,389,294 times
A quiet area to do homework is a good thing. Make sure the lighting is good and it's not to high. We used our kitchen counter and set up a HW routine. A place to put the backpack and all their work helps too. Keep stuff in a binder, as there will be lots of notes and things to keep track of.

A laminated study sheet can help too. Find out what handwriting they teach, and get one laminated so they can use it as a visual. We use D'Nealian print. They might even send one home, as I always did when teaching kinder.

Good luck! It's a great age.

Old 03-27-2016, 06:41 PM

2 posts, read 3,835 times
I give homework Monday through Thursday. I teach Kindergarten and I think doing homework at the kitchen table while you are cooking is fine. Please make time to read with your child every single day! Go to the library and teach a love of books. Please teach your child how to tie their own shoe laces. I still have kids who are A students that haven 't learned this or how to zip their jacket. Too many kids have no playtime with other kids. They don't know how to share. A lot of kids have no fear of the Principal or respect for teachers or adults. At home they are treated like equals, so they answer back when being redirected. All these things matter more to future success than to buy a desk or not to. I love that you asked. You must be a great Mom!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting