Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 11:12 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromCTtoFL View Post
Hi everyone! I posted this in the Florida section as well, but have not gotten too many helpful responses. We are taking our first trip to Disney with our 3-year-old daughter in May. Friends of ours (with a 2 year-old) have rented a house in Orlando for a week. We've been to Disney before but not for a long time and never with small children. We will drive to Orlando and back from our home in Florida (2.5 - 3 hours). How many days do you think we should stay? Is two days at the park enough time/ worth it or should we stay longer? How can we make the most of our time without overwhelming our daughter? Any suggestions for when we should travel (at night when she's asleep, etc)? Any thoughts/suggestions/ideas/input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Big waste of money. Many rides too big for 3 yr old and it won't be memorable at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 07:32 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
I'm with the others. Wait a few years, so it will be a pleasantly memorable trip for all of you. Too much, too soon.

Old 04-01-2016, 09:05 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
Also, to a three year old the magic is REAL. when they are older, they still love it but it's not real. My six year old knew they weren't real princess'. Between ages 3-5, it's very magical. You just can't go expecting to ride all the rides and hoof it all day.
Buying a new toy for a 3 year old is magical.

Playing with a large paper box for a 3 year old is pure joy.

Going to the beach for a 3 year old is a joy.

Playing with water table for a 3 year old is exciting.

Doesn't take a lot to impress 3 year olds.

Old 04-01-2016, 09:18 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
We took my daughter to Disneyland when she was about 2.5. Not because we planned a big vacation but, similar to the OP because that was the age she was when we happened to be in the area. It was fine. There was always an adult available to stay with her if others wanted to do rides that weren't for toddlers - which also provided the benefit of giving her some downtime and helped ensure she wasn't overwhelmed (which in my experience is more likely to happen when the day is all about them - that's a lot of pressure). Keep your expectations low and just enjoy the day. It's like doing anything with a toddler/preschooler. We went again when she was 7 and her younger brother was 4. Again it was fine.

Last edited by maciesmom; 04-01-2016 at 09:37 AM..

Old 04-01-2016, 09:28 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,486,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
But then it won't be a secret.

(It's next to a cast member gate near the castle. Currently blocked off by the Fantasy Faire. So go to the other one in Tomorrowland. )
The one in Tomorrowland is only for those that have to go in the future.

Old 04-01-2016, 11:57 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,384,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Buying a new toy for a 3 year old is magical.

Playing with a large paper box for a 3 year old is pure joy.

Going to the beach for a 3 year old is a joy.

Playing with water table for a 3 year old is exciting.

Doesn't take a lot to impress 3 year olds.
I agree with you, but that doesn't mean Disney can't be a magical experience too. I did lots of things with my child that she will never remember, but I will. If Disney is not enjoyable for you, no need to go.

We take our child to lots of different countries and try lots of things. We enjoyed Disney very much too. It's not an either/or situation for us. It's a "let's do everything we can" thing for us.

OP- here are some fun things to do with a toddler...
Rise the carousel and if you go early the stepsisters and lady Tremaine from Cinderella ride it.

The Winnie the Pooh ride is great, and has a fun waiting area with an interactive honey wall.

Peter Pan has a great queue and is fun.

Try the movie Fantasmic, and have some dollar store gems in your pocket that you " catch" when the movie shows them to you.

Climb the tree house and go to Tom Sawyer Island. The boat ride is fun.

Do the jungle cruise, the country bear jamboree, and the bird show.

Bring a change of clothes to play in the splash park, and expect to spend time in fantasyland. Dumbo is great.

The belle and little mermaid meet and greets are fabulous.

There are so many things you can do with a three year old. Don't worry. Even riding the train around MK is great.

Old 04-01-2016, 03:17 PM

2,053 posts, read 1,526,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
we rent movies from the library there are a lot of things you can do for free . Maybe some folks have $ to poop out we don't and we did nt so my kids learned to make do and to do free things like going to the library last time I looked Disney did not improve your mind .I would much rather go spend money at barnes and noble and buy kids books and improve their mind .
Yes, Disney is very expensive so most people only go a few times or maybe just once after saving for it. There are ways to lower the cost if you really want to go.

Disney is not just an amusement park. They do hold behind the scenes classes in diverse fields as performing arts to science education to leadership skills for young people of all ages. They even have the Disney Institute where business people can learn how to apply the Disney model to their businesses. So apparently Disney can improve your mind.

Old 04-01-2016, 03:59 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Besides the practical stroller, I'll add please get her UV protective clothing if you're going to be outside for long times with the group.

It's much easier and cheaper in the long run than sunscreen.

I use Coolibar as a dog walker - recommended by my dermatologist. She's a diver and uses it. But it's not the only brand. If you get the swim wear pants she can use them in the pool, too.

https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_ex...qid=1459547887

Once I got chest sunburn in the CAR driving West mid state at 4 PM for an hour!

Old 04-01-2016, 04:11 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,456,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Well, good for you? Sometimes, fun is just...fun. You haven't been to Disney. It's kind of a "if you haven't tried it, don't knock it" thing. Many children can have Disney and books, it isn't a matter of parents having to choose between them.
agreed- I think you can do both-you can also go do Disney and not spend a $$$ fortune.

Old 04-02-2016, 05:50 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,722,107 times
So many naysayers! We took our kids for the first time when they were 3 and not-quite 1, and we've gone back once or twice per year since then (Florida residents, having moved from CT about a decade ago). They're 15 and 13 now. The experience has changed, but we have never had a not-good time. I enjoy Disney quite a bit myself, so that could be the difference.

If you have just two days, I'd probably suggest doing Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom. Hollywood Studios and EPCOT are more fun with older kids. MK is a long day, but AK is not as long. Another option is to do MK both days, but take a break around lunchtime to head back to the hotel for a swim and a nap, then return for dinner both days. Definitely check the crowd calendars and aim for days that will be less crowded at your chosen parks.

Bring plenty of sunscreen and keep your sense of humor about you... And have a great time!

(And to really put a bee in some bonnets, DH and I have been to Disney without kids. We're actually going to sneak away this spring for a weekend trip to EPCOT! We have gone to many museums, taken the kids to Europe, traveled around the USA and gone to the library, too. Amazing, right? )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting