Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 07:20 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
The oldest was actually 5. I heard about the story shocked because my 5 year old would get out of the car so quickly to just get out and run around. At least that would get attention. Even my daughter was able to undo her carseat harness at 5 years old. I have no idea how or why those kids stayed in the car and how a nosy passer-by didn't notice. People are always looking inside cars. And how did workers not notice the same car there for days?

My kids know 911 and they know their address and my phone number.
Maybe it's a situation where the children were extremely "well-behaved" and taught to just sit and be quiet? I know it's hard to believe in THIS day and age ... and certainly, in some situations like this being passive is NOT the best thing to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2016, 07:36 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,002,048 times
Child locks, probably. I think I remember reading about a case a few years ago where a teenager died from being locked in a hot car where the child locks had activated and she couldn't get out. Personally, I think they're a terrible idea.

Old 04-02-2016, 07:59 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Prepare the children...

"Hey, son, if I ever happen to pass out or died suddenly for no apparent reason while parking the car in the Target parking lot, go ahead and implement the following protocol..."

I'm super interested in hearing about the autopsy.
She was found without trauma had been reported to be acting strange in the days prior.
I take it your second sentence is sarcasm. I concur. There are some things you just can't prepare kids for, and that's probably one of them. I think a lot of people on this board have unrealistic expectations for a five year old as well. A few days ago, I read on another forum about the police going to an apt. to evict a tenant and found the adult (female) dead and the kids living in the apt. by themselves.

What I am surprised about is that Target didn't look into this situation within 24 hours after the car had not been moved.

Old 04-02-2016, 09:12 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,394,918 times
My daughter is nearly six and she still has trouble getting the latches off her carseat even though this is something we actively work on. So I can buy the children not being able to free themselves and seek help (assuming they weren't drugged).

I do have a habit of scanning cars for children left alone after a toddler died years ago at a shopping mall I had just left (read about it the news the following day). If I saw a adult in the car - I'd assume they were waiting on someone rather than drag all three kids thru the store.

Old 04-02-2016, 09:25 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,808,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Maybe it's a situation where the children were extremely "well-behaved" and taught to just sit and be quiet? I know it's hard to believe in THIS day and age ... and certainly, in some situations like this being passive is NOT the best thing to be.
For 3 days? How did the kids go to the bathroom?

Old 04-02-2016, 09:26 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Quote:
How do you think?

Old 04-02-2016, 10:11 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,249,167 times
Sad story Glad the children are ok.

Has inspired me to talk to my 5 year old about what to do in an emergency though as she doesn't know yet about dialling 112. I was very proud of her though last summer when she naturally knew what to do when a stranger grabbed her - she refused to move and screamed and cried as loud as she could and I heard her (was inside fetching the laundry to hang outside while she rode her bike on our street) and grabbed her back.

Old 04-02-2016, 10:34 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Maybe they weren't there for all 3 days.

Old 04-02-2016, 10:39 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,808,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Maybe they weren't there for all 3 days.
Thinking she was by herself, and then the husband took the kids to her? I really hope they get the 5 year old to talk. My 5 year old talks and talks and has plenty to say about what goes on. He's a great story-teller. I can't imagine this 5 year old wouldn't say what happened... Even at 3, mine told stories about their days.

Old 04-02-2016, 11:25 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
Child locks, probably. I think I remember reading about a case a few years ago where a teenager died from being locked in a hot car where the child locks had activated and she couldn't get out. Personally, I think they're a terrible idea.
Even the driver's door?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting