Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2016, 03:52 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilightnight View Post
So she ended up taking a bath and she now says her back feels much better. She has been moving around doing things so clearly it wasn't that bad, but she is now looking for other jobs. I know that should be okay but her working so close to home was very convenient and she just got this job! I also would rather not have to start shuttling her back and forth to a new job just so I can hear her whine as soon as it starts getting hard.
YOU driving her shouldn't be part of the deal. Hell when I was in high school I had to walk 30 minutes to my first crappy job I WANTED in a Chinese restaurant - cashier. ONLY job in the neighborhood in a strip center. My mother never offered to drive me once and she was stay at home mom.

There is always something to hate at these jobs and Walmart is trying to train her to be a cashier. You mentioned she zones out so cashier probably won't work out either.

And she obviously has no personality to work with the public because you have to pretend you're happy and cheerful helping them so the ONLY job for her is something like stocking shelves overnight unless she can pass a data entry test and sit and type her entire shift. Or stuff envelopes or something. Those jobs actually DO exist from temp agencies.

Where do her "friends from the park" work?

Lemme guess. They don't. She's only humoring you for cigarette money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2016, 04:53 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times
Wait a minute y'all who are trying to clinicalize this. Physical work is hard, especially for people who have never done it before. It takes a while to build up strength and endurance. Also she is female. While we all know some superb female athletes, she is not one of them. Lifting 20 to 30 pound boxes all day might give me a backache and I am a big strong guy, but I am just not used to that kind of work because I sit at a desk and write for a living.

Encourage her to look for a job that is less strenuous and with better hours, and she should not quit the job she has until she finds another one.

This whole experience may get her motivated to go to college and pursue a business or professional career.

Old 04-09-2016, 07:56 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,099,655 times
19 years old and her first paying job... I wish I could have skated by all those extra years, my first "legal" paying job was when I was 15, but I'd been working for money since I was twelve.

Should have made her work at a younger age and learn to appreciate the value of a dollar. I'd tell her to suck it up and keep working, because she needs to learn how to make her own way in the world.

Old 04-09-2016, 08:35 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post

This whole experience may get her motivated to go to college and pursue a business or professional career.
Not every person is "college material". I am not just commenting on the previous post, but I have seen that again and again on various threads.

Remember that this girl only had a 2.5 grade point and wanted to drop out of high school. Mom describes her as being extremely immature, lazy and unmotivated.

Is she capable of more than a job at Walmart? Maybe yes and maybe no. We do not know for sure.

Not everyone can be a doctor, engineer, accountant, nurse or have a high powered career in business or have a professional career.

What if 100% of the population went to college? We would still need people in service jobs, raising food, in retail, in construction, etc. etc. Those are necessary and important jobs, too.

Old 04-09-2016, 08:41 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Wait a minute y'all who are trying to clinicalize this. Physical work is hard, especially for people who have never done it before. It takes a while to build up strength and endurance. Also she is female. While we all know some superb female athletes, she is not one of them. Lifting 20 to 30 pound boxes all day might give me a backache and I am a big strong guy, but I am just not used to that kind of work because I sit at a desk and write for a living.

Encourage her to look for a job that is less strenuous and with better hours, and she should not quit the job she has until she finds another one.

TRUE. It's strenuous having to stand all night and lift and bend. Even climb ladders or stand on the dairy cube thingies. I said that right away. But they don't get trucks every night and she doesn't necessarily have to be the one unloading - but she might. She doesn't have to lift all night. MOST of the job is pricing, signage, stocking and rotating merchandise and checking for out of code dates in dairy. Blocking and facing - meaning pulling merchandise forward so each facing isn't empty when you're down to just a couple items in the facing. You have to use a long hook if your hand can't reach. It's cold and a PITA. Especially the yogurt!

Once a week when the circular comes out you spend all night making tags. Also ordering using the scanner on each facing. And there are ALOT Of them in yogurt ha ha. Oh and cleaning. You have to clean, too. YUK. Deli is the worst, though.

They give her inside aisles though, too and want to train her for cashier. No it's not an easy job. So shame on people condescending to grocery store employees. Or retail employees in general.

Old 04-09-2016, 11:15 PM

41 posts, read 57,315 times
So daughter didn't go to work tonight. She says all the heavy lifting is killing her back and that she can't even lift her arms without wanting to cry.

She did apply at a few other places, one of them being Buffalo Wild Wings and she even already has an interview. She is also going to apply at a local grocery store.

Old 04-10-2016, 12:04 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
I've been working since I was 16. At 19, I was going to college and grinding steel at a steel dump yard and dragging 100+ pound steel pieces across the yard in 90-100 degree heat under the sun.

Kids these days...
You forgot to say backwards and up hill

Old 04-10-2016, 12:26 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
So shame on people condescending to grocery store employees. Or retail employees in general.
I've worked in a grocery store and it's work that needs to be done. I don't think I'm being condescending by saying she should improve her skill set so she can do something else. She is the one who said she hated her job, not me.

Old 04-10-2016, 04:36 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,248,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senah View Post
But, the foundation of all this is realizing that our citizens have the capacity to be adults at 18 (earlier in other countries), and we need to start treating them like that, not allowing them to be and act like children until their mid-twenties. The army sorts it out and sees 18-19 year olds in charge of life and death situations at that age, as are EMTs and paramedics. 15 and 16 year olds had families, built homesteads and settled the West a century ago. The more laws we pass and laundry we do codifying the social norms that say 21 and 25 year olds are still children, the more children we will have in their 20s who live at home and complain about having to do anything at all to make their lives a success. Our current system re-enforces this, and for the most part, we let it.
The part of the brain that controls rational thought doesn't fully develop until about the age of 25. There have been articles recently about the pre-frontal cortex development in young adults and could explain why some young people don't get serious about life until they hit mid 20s.

So not everyone is capable of making real life decisions at 20.

Old 04-10-2016, 04:56 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,248,821 times
Quote:

Agreed. OP Baby steps. she'll get there.

Waitressing is an option. The full service servers get to share the tips and if it's a good night she might make much more than the Walmart job.

My friend's step daughter sounds alot like your daughter. She ended up joining the army but is now done with it and looking for work as a waitress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting