Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 11:55 AM

170 posts, read 245,010 times

Advertisements

Hello,
We are soon to be parents and wanted recommendations on the best all-in-one car seats. From the baby being an infant to a toddler. We want to avoid buying multiple different car seats since there are infant car seats out there.
The important things for us are quality, ease of use, and durability.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2016, 12:28 PM

5,843 posts, read 6,134,509 times
This is one of those questions which will generate a lot of different answers and opinions, but every carseat we have owned for both our kids (infant, convertible and now the Booster) has been a Britax. Your point about "ease of use" is a good one, that can be a major consideration that will put one brand/model far above (or below) other options. For that matter, make sure your car has ease of use as well and has the metal clasps already built in (and more importantly, easily accessible).

Old 04-03-2016, 12:47 PM

3,167 posts, read 3,985,961 times
Britax is very good and has great safety ratings, too. You should expect to change car seats one or two times. An infant seat first, then a standard car seat, and then possibly a bigger car seat if the child outgrows that one. My son is 7 and is in a 5point harness Britax that we got when he was about 4. We could move to a booster seat, but this is safer and still fits.

Old 04-03-2016, 12:52 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,379,872 times
Another fan of Britax here. I think we ended up with a infant carrier, then a convertible, and then a second Britax for the second car.

Old 04-03-2016, 02:03 PM

922 posts, read 1,104,513 times
Britax for when the kiddos are infants and smaller and then graduate up to a Recaro for when they are older. We're doing a 5-point harness for as long as we can.

Old 04-03-2016, 03:49 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,072,590 times
You will probably want an infant seat at first. You can detach the seat from the base and carry it. This is useful when the baby can't sit up alone or is sleeping. After that you can get a convertible. I don't think there is one single seat that you'd want to carry you all the way through.

Old 04-03-2016, 04:23 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,695,859 times
Britax is excellent but you will need to switch to a booster when your child is 6 or 7, most likely. I really appreciated the convenience of an infant car seat, though. So much easier to get the sleeping baby in the house.

Old 04-03-2016, 05:12 PM

7,996 posts, read 10,360,749 times
We went from infant seat (with the handle that we could carry around), to convertible to booster. I liked having the convenience of the infant seat. Then we moved to a Britax Frontier. We are now in a booster. Let me just say that I loved the Frontier, however, I ended up not using it for a booster, even though it converts to one. It was just really heavy, as are most of the seats that convert to a booster. One of the great things about finally moving to a booster was that I could easily move it from one car to another. That wasn't really possible with the Frontier.

However, the good thing about Britax seats is that most of them don't expire for 9 years, so you can easily pass it down to a younger sibling.

Old 04-03-2016, 06:40 PM

5,843 posts, read 6,134,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Then we moved to a Britax Frontier. We are now in a booster. Let me just say that I loved the Frontier, however, I ended up not using it for a booster, even though it converts to one. It was just really heavy, as are most of the seats that convert to a booster.
I agree. Our 5.5 yo is in the Britax Frontier. I love it, but it is a heavy seat and not easy to travel with. Our oldest was in it until it until she was almost 8. Now, she's in a Britax Parkway, which has the lap belt. We still have the back on it, and she is constantly asking us to remove it, especially after I took the back off and just went with the seat booster on a recent trip to California. But at home and for everyday use, we will keep the back on as long as possible.

OP, just thought of another suggestion. Regardless of what brand carseat you go with, if this is your first child, go with a gender neutral color and fabric. Blacks, grays etc. That way, if you have another child who is a different sex than your first, they can use the same carseat. This is a good idea for lots of products- pack and play, bouncy seat, highchair, etc.

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 04-03-2016 at 07:10 PM..

Old 04-03-2016, 07:42 PM

104 posts, read 107,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesare View Post
Hello,
We are soon to be parents and wanted recommendations on the best all-in-one car seats. From the baby being an infant to a toddler. We want to avoid buying multiple different car seats since there are infant car seats out there.
The important things for us are quality, ease of use, and durability.

Thanks for the suggestions.
The all-in-ones are not easy to use though.

Only poor people buy them, as an infant seat and a booster seat would not be expensive.

If you are poor, just get the free one. We just got 5 free Maestros the other day! They suck unless are rich enough for a car though. Which defeats the purpose of getting a free all-in-one...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting