Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 08:54 AM

1 posts, read 1,650 times

Advertisements

I just found a sticky note with 2 of my credit cards numbers and info on it hidden in my son's things. He's at school, so haven't talked to him yet, but I'm livid. I'm trying to think of how to deal with this. One, I know my purse will always be locked in my room upstairs at all times, two we took his laptop and Xbox away. I need to talk and explain to him the consequences of his actions, but he is ADHD, and bipolar and has a bad temper and anger issues, so I have to be careful on wording to not set off. Any suggestions on how you would handle a first offense is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 09:07 AM

1,955 posts, read 1,759,830 times
Think natural consequences. If in the real world he stole someone's credit card, what would happen? Well first of course he would have to pay back any money he stole, plus interest. Then there would probably be jail time involved, which you can simulate at home with a good long grounding. Just like in jail, he can earn money doing manual labor while grounded in order to pay off his debt. Then after the jail time, it would be harder to be able to do things like get a job and find a place to live, because of your record, which you can simulate at home by setting high standards to earn back privileges such as his laptop and Xbox.

I have never had to deal with a bipolar child, which I'm sure must be difficult and take a great amount of finesse. For my NT children, I would (try my best to) do my freaking out in private, and then approach my child when I am calm. I would explain to them the consequences kind of like I did above - in the real world this is what happens, so this is how we are going to simulate it. Emphasize that everything you are doing is because they are as close as you can get to real consequences for adults. That every kid makes mistakes sometimes and that's okay, but the important thing is to learn from your mistakes, and you learn from your mistakes by taking the real consequences. A grown up boy faces his consequences like a man, pays his debts, does his time, earns back his stuff, and uses the experience to learn about real life, and to help him remember in the future that there are consequences for his actions.

And then follow through.

Oh, and you might want to explain to him what a credit score is, what having your credit card stolen can do to your credit score, and then how exactly can having bad credit affect him, right now. Talk about things like having the house taken from you, having to move into a tiny apartment, having to switch schools, no longer being able to afford things like his favorite foods or toys, having to quit any sports or extracurricular because you can no longer afford them, etc. Make sure he knows that he would be "shooting his own foot" as it were.

Old 04-05-2016, 09:21 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,011,082 times
No more games take away that right away. Don't be mad at him. Just talk to him with strong tone. Disconnect game contracts. If you can set up an internet password just for your self do that too. If he addict to games wont be easy with his issues also together his bad temper. I think you better do together with some one. If you are all alone. Try to control your self. Be calm and make him understand. If I were you right away call the credit card company and deactivate temporally.

Old 04-05-2016, 09:46 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Natural consequences, like pkbab suggested. I would take away the laptop and XBox until the debt is repaid.

Old 04-05-2016, 09:52 AM

131 posts, read 112,462 times
Seems "spare the rod and spoil the child" is applicable here. Then again, you can do nothing because of the fear of his "bad temper and anger issues" and/or psychological labels.

Old 04-05-2016, 11:12 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Did he use them?

Old 04-05-2016, 11:30 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Did he use them?

Check to see if he actually used the cards and how much he charged, before you confront him.

However, even if he did not use them he is still in trouble.

Another possibility is that he stole the numbers to give to a friend. In that case, it could be even worse.

Old 04-05-2016, 11:39 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,052,616 times
OP: Doesn't sound as though your son is worried as to whether or not you might have a "bad temper and anger issue"; yet, you're walking on eggshells hoping he won't get upset.

Who's in charge?

Old 04-05-2016, 11:43 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailmotion View Post
Seems "spare the rod and spoil the child" is applicable here. Then again, you can do nothing because of the fear of his "bad temper and anger issues" and/or psychological labels.

Yeah, he'd get a butt-whooping at our house.

Old 04-05-2016, 11:51 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,768,350 times
You might want to contact your credit card company and request a new number/card. Tell them your card has been stolen. You really do not know whom your son has shared this information with already (even if he will deny it), if anyone (either your son or his friends) has taken a picture of it with a phone, or what gaming accounts he's entered the information into. You've also checked your account online, I trust?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting