Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 09:56 AM

1,047 posts, read 3,988,812 times

Advertisements

how many of you have had "the talk" with your son or daughter?[the sex talk] How old were they,how did you go about it,and how did it go? Did you do Mother/daughter, Father/son?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 10:25 AM

932 posts, read 1,273,227 times
MY daughter is 9 and we have had I 'guess' a talk- but we stress abstinence based on biblical teachings.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:32 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,754,601 times
Hmmm...I never officially had "The Talk" with either of my kids. I just answered questions as they arose. I figured if they were old enough to ask a question, they were old enough for a straightforward answer. Most of the pertinent information was imparted to them this way between the ages of probably 6-12. I filled in whatever I thought was missing at about the age of 12, which mostly consisted of information about birth control, why it's a good idea to wait to have sex, etc. I stressed to both of them that while I didn't want them to start having sex, but if they decided it was time, that they needed to come to me and I would provide them with proper birth control, no questions asked.

Both of them did eventually come to me -- my daughter when she was 18 and my son when he was 17, so I figure I did something right.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:08 AM

1,222 posts, read 4,604,632 times
Well done you they came to you because they trust you.
Better to advise them than just say "don't do it"

Old 02-12-2008, 11:30 AM

170 posts, read 581,655 times
Well, I try not to put them "on the spot" so to speak because kids tend to freak out with "lets have a talk about the birds and the bees" lol I know I did. I just "work" it into the conversation. I also told them that they could die from having sex. lmao Its true............AIDS. Nothing wrong with a little fear. HA HA.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:31 AM

I told mine the least of their worries these days was getting a girl pregnant.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:45 AM

1,458 posts, read 4,131,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millie61 View Post
I told mine the least of their worries these days was getting a girl pregnant.
ITA.

I've been talking to my kids about how their bodies work from day 1. Not EVERYTHING, but what parts were for, ect.

My son was five when he asked me exactly how babies get out. He did not believe me, had to go around and say "do you know what mommy told me.." before he allowed it to sink in!

We talk ALOT about making choices, using good judgement, not just about sex but about everything.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:19 PM

Thats the way to do it, I now have two sons who have lived all over the world met all kinds of people and are now very well adjusted. The eldest has his degree and is joining the Army as an Officer and youngest is ready to graduate High school with a really good GPA. Maybe I am just lucky I will admit there have been things I have dealt with in the wrong way but we all learn by our mistakes.
Bringing up children is the hardest thing we will ever do, how my Mum brought up 4 girls I will never know !!!

Old 02-12-2008, 12:22 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
My daughter is 9 and I've answered the questions as they've come up in a straightforward way. "Where do babies come from?" "How do they get there?" "Why do some people have lots of kids and some people don't have any?" Once she asked me how people knew when to have sex and I couldn't figure out what she was asking but finally it dawned on me that she thought you had sex when you went to the hospital to have the baby. I straightened that out too.

I try to answer them with no hemming and hawing so that neither of us will be embarrassed, because when she's older I hope she'll come to me with her questions and know I won't freak out.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:22 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,046,149 times
we've always been very open at my house, yet at the same time, teaching our kids to be respectful of their bodies and everyones privacy. We had the few off questions pop up now and then and just gave age appropriate answers. Then, when my oldest was 9, she and I were taking a car trip alone up the coast, and i just worked it into the conversation. I liked it because i knew we wouldnt get any interruptions, and it was pretty casual. Although, the downside was i had nowhere to turn when I got the giggles at some of her disgust and dismay. She's 13 now and still comes to me for most things, but she will ask her dad some. Somethign else that really worked well for us, is since she can be shy, and some things can be harder to say/ask then others, so she sometimes writes (usually me) a letter w/the basic question/thought/idea, then we go in her room and discuss it from there.
My son is due for a talk, he just turned 9.....im gonna let my husband do that one...although, id love to listen in!!! When he was little, he kept barging in to his big sisters room, his dad got frustrated one day and jsut said "Ryan! your sister is going through some changes with her body right now and needs her privacy!" and left it at that...poor kid, he kept watching her from a distance w/a fearful look on his face, worried about what his poor sister was changing into...lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting