Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 01:59 AM

352 posts, read 386,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelouriaPDX View Post
I'm picturing lawn up to the curb (no sidewalk) and the kid just passing through within the right of way.
By "right of way" I assume you mean the public area where things like utility poles and hydrants are located.

I (adult) ride my bike in some neighborhoods with no sidewalks and no curbs and find it rude and dangerous when homeowners place objects (large rocks, timbers, etc) out into the public right of way area. On a narrow street a pedestrian or bicyclist often has to move off the pavement into the right of way for safety reasons when being overtaken by an automobile.

If it's not your property and you don't own it, leave it alone, don't place anything there, and don't complain when someone walks or rides a bike in the (public) space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 06:58 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
That they are going over there now, this tells me that the previous owner was OK with this. Once such a precedent is established, it's normal for the old habits to continue until clarified. The poster should clarify the matter, it takes 5 seconds. Just do it.
Especially with kids. Kids are quite literal and they just don't get the "new owner, new rules" concept. They will have to be told, whether from their parents or OP, and frequently reminded until it becomes the new normal.

Old 04-12-2016, 07:24 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
You can put up some decorative landscape fencing, assuming that you mean that they're riding through the part of the yard that's not at the edge closest to the street. If that's where they're riding, you probably have to check local laws about putting things close to the street.

My yard is full of cactus and small boulders, but no one was riding their bikes through it anyhow...I just filled it up so I wouldn't have to waste water on trying to keep the grass alive. Sometimes kids will ride up to the top of my driveway, which only bothers me if both cars are in the driveway. We ride bikes all the time (on the street) and all the neighborhood kids know they can stop by if we're outside and we'll fill up a tire or help make an adjustment on the bike.

Old 04-12-2016, 07:25 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I'm new in the neighborhood so I told this kid oh no not on my yard or in my yard ...the other neighbors are renters and don't give a crap about their yards . I'm sorry I own this place and I will be da*med if I will let lil rowdys ruin my yard just because their parents don't own a home or yard . My mother used to say you teach people how to treat you and your things guess I'm going to have to teach these neighbors some boundaries where my home is concerned . Do parents not teach their kids respect for their neighbors ? plus my husband is out working on the car and has it on a jack , what if the kid had run into the car and hurt my husband ? I can tell you those people don't have a dime to pay my husbands injuries caused because their kid does not know boundaries and respect .
What happened after you asked the kid to not ride in your yard anymore? Why are you so negative about your neighbors? You don't even know them yet!

Do you think parents are saying "go ahead and ride your bike across phonelady's yard. It's fun and and you can do whatever you want sweetheart".

Of course there are parents that aren't going to care there are also parents that will talk to their child and tell them not to. You won't know until you do something besides complain on a message board.

Old 04-12-2016, 07:37 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Fence

Done
Doesn't even have to be a real fence, just those lawn borders that you stick in the ground - Home Depot sells some really cute ones that are just a couple feet high.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:20 AM

374 posts, read 1,058,341 times
put those little stay off the lawn signs if your concerned about your lawn. If you told a minor not to do something and not their parents and then you are surprised when do it again, you are a fool.

Old 04-12-2016, 10:05 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
So you expect the parents to read your mind?

Come on, when you get a new neighbor you don't know that new person or their boundaries. I don't automatically assume I can continue to use the neighbor's driveway or whatever. In fact, I'd assume I can't, and I'd tell my kids not to go into their yard anymore. That's what good neighbors do.

Old 04-12-2016, 10:13 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,921,401 times
anybody else have the 8 Mile soundtrack running thru their head when they picture this lovely neighborhood?

Old 04-12-2016, 10:17 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit82 View Post
anybody else have the 8 Mile soundtrack running thru their head when they picture this lovely neighborhood?

Yep.

Old 04-12-2016, 01:17 PM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
Hmmm. I played soccer with the neighborhood shorties on my lawn. Oh and the hours and hours of freeze tag. Somehow ny grass survived all of the abuse and still looked fine. I guess those bike tires that left a tiny imprint was enough to send you over the edge?

You could put up one of those small decorative fences. They're just big enough to deter the biker gang hoodlums and just pretty enough to look nice. It sure beats that ginormous concrete fence you've already erected in you mind.

I'll take those shorties please. It's been ages since my neighborhood kids were little and I miss having the wee ones around. Most of the kids in my life are now teenagers and above now.

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood . It's a neighborly day in this beautywood. So lets make the most of this beautiful day..... Thank you Mr. Rogers. I will. Give me shorties over boring grass any day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting